Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP laptop keeps looping in Startup Repair

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 dvdboost

dvdboost

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 PM

Posted 04 January 2015 - 07:49 PM

Hello to BC community.This is my first topic - sorry for my english and thanks in advance for any help.

A friend of mine brought me his laptop for repair. I have some experience with many different PC issues and usually I find solutions, but this one seems to behave strange.
Searching online, I've noticed, that few persons had same problem and they did fix it using FRST tool from BC.

But first thing first:
 - HP laptop
 - OS - Win 7 Ultimate, En
 - PC keeps on going to "Startup Repair" no metter what I am trying (Safe mode follows to same, Any command in Command Prompt such as sfc or chkdsk gives a message that it could not be performed because of repair pending)
 - The only details are given after "Startup Repair cannot repair this computer automatically" and these details are not good enough to understand:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name:    StartupRepairOffline
Problem Signature01:    6.1.7600.16385
Problem Signature02:    6.1.7600.16385
Problem Signature03:    unknown
Problem Signature04:    21199891
Problem Signature05:    AutoFailover
Problem Signature06:    36
Problem Signature07:    CorruptFile
OS Version:                    6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
Locale ID:                       1033

I said earlier that I read some people were using FRST, so I captured a log file, which I attached here. It did not seem for me it was any malware problems in the log and I attempt :clapping: a MBR fix and registry roll-off with my Fixlist.txt (the result of it - Fixlog.txt is also attached).
I really hope I did no more damage to the PC but it is still in the Startup Repair dead loop. :devil:

I would appreciate any help preventing full PC reinstall. I have no problem connecting the HDD to another computer and take backup of files, but since the PC is not my own, I could miss valuable information to backup. Any suggestions? :bowdown:

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,647 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 PM

Posted 04 January 2015 - 08:30 PM

Hello, and Welcome

At a command prompt type the following and then try chkdsk or sfc /scannow.

DISM /image:C:\ /cleanup-image /revertpendingactions

Edited by JohnC_21, 04 January 2015 - 08:31 PM.

#3 dvdboost

dvdboost
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2015 - 09:43 PM

Ok, I supose this should be E in my case since I used notepad from the command prompt to find out which drive letter is the real one:

DISM /image:E:\ /cleanup-image /revertpendingactions

The result is:

Deployment image servicing and management tool

Version: 6.1.7600.16385

Image version: 6.1.7601.18489

Reverting pending actions from the image ...

The operation completed. Any revert of pending actions will be attempted after reboot.

The operation completed successfully.

Typing the command chkdsk or sfc /scannow gives me the message as I mentioned above:

There is a system repair pending which requires reboot to complete. restart windows and run chkdsk again.

After a restart the PC is still in Repair ... :devil:

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,647 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2015 - 09:48 PM

Did you reboot so the the pending actions could be reverted before you did the sfc /scannow? Repeat the command then reboot and do chkdsk at the command prompt. If that does not work then I am not sure what the issue is.

#5 dvdboost

dvdboost
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2015 - 09:59 PM

Yes, I did rebooted. Actually I tried later with no reboot as well. No difference...

Thank you JohnC_21 - I did learn something more about DISM anyway.

Please, anyone else with some solution I could try :bowdown:

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,647 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2015 - 10:15 PM

One possible solution. This will be easier with a bootable linux repair disk like PartedMagic or you can create a WinPE disk with Aoemi PE builder (works great)on a Windows 7 computer.  Burn the Parted Magic iso or the iso created by Aoemi which will give you a mini Windows 7 environment.

Browse to C:\Windows\System32\config\Regback

Windows 7 creates backup copies of the registry Hives at a certain time interval and writes them to the Regback folder. If the dates on the registry Hives in the Regback folder are dated before the issue occured, then there is a good chance you can get the computer out of the loop.

Browse to C:\Windows\System32\config 

Rename the Registry Hives with a .bak extension

• SAM
  • SECURITY
  • SOFTWARE
  • SYSTEM

After you have renamed the Hives, go to the Regback folder and copy the backups to the config folder. Exit out of Parted Magic or Aoemi and reboot. Good Luck

#7 heavydude

heavydude

• Members
  • 231 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 PM

Posted 05 January 2015 - 01:10 AM

I have the same problem with a Dell Inspiron. Should I discuss it in this thread or start a new one. I've taken some of the steps already discussed but still in the loop.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,647 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2015 - 08:49 AM

You need to start a mew thread.

#9 heavydude

heavydude

• Members
  • 231 posts