Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How cam I control USB properties to prevent unwanted restarts?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 stanhilliard

stanhilliard

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 AM

Posted 04 January 2015 - 07:40 PM

I have a Windows XP Pro desktop computer with USB ports that I use for a Brother MFC8860 printer/copier/scanner/fax. I also use a USB port to charge my cell phone.

The PC currently "wants" to be running as long as the printer is on or the cell phone connected. When I click "turn off" in Windows XP, the computer restarts instead of staying shut down. I would like to be able to turn off the PC from within Windows without unplugging (no on/off switch) the printer.

The computer shuts down normally when nothing is plugged into USB or when the printer is plugged into USB but is unplugged from the wall.

I also use a second USB to charge my cell phone. The PC behaves the same as if it were the printer. That is, when the PC is off, the it turns on when I connect it to the phone. When running connected to the phone, the PC restarts when I try to shut it down -- even with the printer unplugged.

I can always turn the computer off by using its on/off switch while it is in the bios-checking phase of a restart.

I don't mind having the PC turn on when I connect it up, but I prefer to be able to shut off from within Windows.
Q1 - How can I do this?

Also, if I leave the cell phone plugged in overnight with the computer off, the phone's battery drains to zero.
Q2 - Is this to be expected?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,255 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 AM

Posted 04 January 2015 - 08:37 PM

Hello, and Welcome

See if disabling Selective Suspend on the USB hubs works for the shutdown problem. If the computer was turned off it would seem that it would drain off the phone if it was plugged in but that is just a guess on my part.

1. Right-click My Computer, click Properties, click the Hardware tab, and then click Device Manager.
  2. Double-click Universal Serial Bus controllers to expand it, right-click USB Root Hub, and then click Properties.
  3. Click the Power Management tab.
  4. Click to clear the Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power check box, and then click OK.

#3 stanhilliard

stanhilliard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2015 - 12:16 AM

Thanks.
I have eleven items listed under "Universal Serial Bus controllers."
3: ALi PCI to USB Open Host Controller. 7/1/2001 5.1.2600.2180
1: Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller. 6/1/2002 5.1.2600.0
2: USB Composit Device 7/1/2001 5.1.2600.0
1: USB Printing Support 7/1/2001 5.1.2600.0
4: USB Root Hub 7/1/2001 5.1.2600.2180

Of the four root hubs, three had "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power check box" unchecked. I unchecked the fourth.

The PC still restarts when I try to shut it down while the printer is connected. One thing that changed is that it nolonger starts when I plug in the printer.

The PC has three physical USB ports. One in back and two in front. At one time I had a USB hub connected to one of them. I think it had four ports. I have listed information from the "USB Root Hub" power tabs to follow because it seems strange and might indicate conflicts:

USB Root Hub #1
      3 ports available 0mA
USB Root Hub #2
      USBComposit Device 100mA
      2 ports available 0mA
USB Root Hub #3
      3 ports available 0mA
USB Root Hub #4
      USB Composit Device 2mA
      7 ports available 0Ma

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,255 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2015 - 08:56 AM

Does the computer shut down now if there is a USB device in a port but not the printer?

#5 stanhilliard

stanhilliard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2015 - 11:46 AM

No, With my android phone plugged in and the printer not, it restarts instead of shutting down.

With the PC off, & no printer, I plugged-in the android phone and the PC started. And leaving the android plugged-in, the PC restarted when I tried to shut the PC down.

I shut down and unplugged everything. I shut down the android with its "Power off". I plugged-in the android phone to the PC's USB port. Both the PC and the android booted up.

#6 stanhilliard

stanhilliard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2015 - 12:47 PM

Reset button performance:

I have determined that the reset button performs an immediate shutdown -- bypassing Windows normal shutdown -- followed by a restart. This restart is regardless whether or not anything is plugged in to a USB port.

I don't care if the restart button restarts the PC or not. I just want to be able to shutdown normally/completely from within windows.

Edited by stanhilliard, 05 January 2015 - 12:48 PM.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,255 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2015 - 02:25 PM

I am not sure if this is the problem but go into bios and see if you have a setting called USB wakeup. If it does, disable it. The reset button function is normal. It will do a immediate shutdown and restart.

1.gif

#8 stanhilliard

stanhilliard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2015 - 08:30 PM

Thanks, that worked. :thumbup2:

I changed "S3(suspend to RAM)" from enabled to disabled.

Windows shuts down normally without restarting.

Now the PC does not start when I plug in the printer.

I don't understand why that worked. According to the explanations of S3 that I found its function is to keep open programs and documents in memory so they will be there upon restarting. That doesn't happen in my case and doesn't seem related to the failure to shut down completely when something is plugged into UBS.

Edited by stanhilliard, 06 January 2015 - 08:31 PM.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,255 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2015 - 08:44 PM

Glad that worked for you. Not sure why disabling S3 worked. That is normal Sleep mode.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users