Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

why does my computer sometimes freeze at the acer logo when starting up

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 andrewset

andrewset

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 PM

Posted 04 January 2015 - 05:24 PM

why does my computer sometimes freeze at the acer logo when starting up? its a year-old acer aspire am3985 desktop computer with windows 8. it has a decent chance of freezing at the acer logo (the first window seen when turning this computer on) every time i turn the computer on each morning, about a 25% chance i'd say, in which case i have to hold the power button til it shuts off, wait a bit, and try again. is there for example a known issue between acer aspire and windows 8 fixed by an update or patch or something?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2015 - 07:32 PM

Are all of your divers current? Is there a reason you have not update to W81? What is your security software and is it current?

Keep us posted

Dick

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 andrewset

andrewset
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 146 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2015 - 02:33 PM

Are all of your divers current? Is there a reason you have not update to W81? What is your security software and is it current?

Keep us posted

Dick

I actually have 8.1, I didn't know the difference was worth mentioning, I always just thought of it as 'I have Windows 8'. My drivers are current if that means that I have all the updates, which I took care of after reading your post two weeks ago, I use Windows Defender and sometimes Malware Bytes, and everything in the Action Center is taken care of, and also ran a chkdsk two weeks ago. The problem went away for a while but then started again today.

#4 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2015 - 03:13 PM

There is enough of a difference between w8.0 and w8.1 that I want to be sure you using the latest OS.

Do you have the installation CD so that yu can try running a startup repair - to eliminate several possible causes of your problem?

You might also try

http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/

Seatools is a great utility for checking out the health of your harddrive

Keep us posted

Dick

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#5 PcPhoenix

PcPhoenix

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:18 PM

Posted 20 January 2015 - 03:33 PM

Is this the Acer loger under which you see an animation (spinning circles) while windows 8 is loading? This is important because otherwise someone might get this confused with the BIOS POST logo.

The reason for the hang can be many different things, and t's very hard to know what. a BSOD might tell you that the problem is in a xxxx.sys driver, but in fact the problem is with your RAM. One thing you should know, when the computer does freeze, is it "waking up" from a sleep/hibernation? Or are you starting your computer after you manually shut it down? These two are different because hibernation just restores your system, but does not load drivers. A cold-boot from shutdown has to reload your drivers.

Everyone has their own favorite tools for diagnosing a computer. I'll give you mine.

1) Test your hard drive with HDAT2 (http://www.hdat2.com/) Burn it to a disk, boot from it (you might have to go to your BIOS/EFI settings and disable secure boot, enable legacy boot, or other option to allow booting from CD.

2) Test your memory with memtest86 (http://www.memtest86.com/) Burt it to a disk, same as above.

If you run both tests and your drive and memory are fine, it's likely to be a single driver in your Windows OS that's causing the problems. Instead of hunting down the driver, simply try doing a "Refresh" of Windows. This won't make any noticable changes to your computer (all your files will still be there) but it might solve your problem.

To do a "Refresh" you must load your computer, then find the "Restart" button to restart your computer and click it while holding Left Shift on your keyboard. Hold it until a new menu pops up where you can choose to do a system refresh.

Hope this helps.

Edited by PcPhoenix, 20 January 2015 - 03:34 PM.

#6 Victoria-Joe

Victoria-Joe

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 AM

Posted 21 January 2015 - 03:55 AM

Just upgrade your RAM and run SFC /SCANNOW. Then boot your PC in safe mode. Hope it will help you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users