Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

AntiVirus for Business

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 luke14

luke14

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 AM

Posted 04 January 2015 - 05:19 PM

Hello,

I have McAfee LiveSafe and use for my personal computers. However, recently I've been asked to install an antivirus software on each computer (6 computers running Windows) at work. We got recommended Eset Endpoint Antivirus, but was wondering if McAfee LiveSafe would do the job just as good? 

Any pros and cons using McAfee live safe over Eset?

Any thoughts would be helpful. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,994 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 AM

Posted 04 January 2015 - 06:14 PM

Hi,

Antivirus software should not be the only protection on a company, for computers running Windows a Domain with Group Policies should be in place to protect the machines and to restrict what users can/ should do.

If the users can do anything then go with ESET because it's one of the few that will block the install of most crapware...

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,143 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 PM

Posted 04 January 2015 - 08:00 PM

Anti-virus Enterprise Software for Business and Corporate Environments

Note:

...Microsoft Security Essentials was designed to provide desktop protection. We would not recommend installing it on servers.
Microsoft Security Essentials available FREE to Small Businesses

These articles may be helpful in making a choice:

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 luke14

luke14
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 AM

Posted 05 January 2015 - 04:59 AM

Hi,

Antivirus software should not be the only protection on a company, for computers running Windows a Domain with Group Policies should be in place to protect the machines and to restrict what users can/ should do.

If the users can do anything then go with ESET because it's one of the few that will block the install of most crapware...

Anti-virus Enterprise Software for Business and Corporate Environments

These articles may be helpful in making a choice:

Thanks guys for your replies. Since I had already purchased a version of McAfee LiveSafe I thought it woudln't be worth investing in a new one as it would do the job just as well. 

I'll take a look through your links quietman7, thank you.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,143 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2015 - 06:56 AM

You're welcome on behalf of the Bleeping Computer community.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#6 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,666 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:40 AM

Posted 05 January 2015 - 05:43 PM

, for computers running Windows a Domain with Group Policies should be in place to protect the machines and to restrict what users can/ should do.

That can become an expensive solution, as it requires a machine running Windows Server to ac as a domain controller.

You can also implement local group policies, but then you have to do this on each machine.

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#7 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,994 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 AM

Posted 06 January 2015 - 04:47 AM

That can become an expensive solution, as it requires a machine running Windows Server to ac as a domain controller.
You can also implement local group policies, but then you have to do this on each machine.

Yes it's true but local group policies will not work for everything and it's hard to admin unless you have some tool to deploy the changes, and I know this for experience...

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#8 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,551 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2015 - 09:45 AM

Hi,

You're totally right on that. Domain GPOs (and also Local GPOs) add a very good protection to computers connected to a domain and are quite easy to maintain (at least, for Domain GPOs, gpupdate /force is a command I abuse of), but only when you have a good Sysadmin (or 2-3) that have the resources necessary for it. Where I work, they have all that and it goes really well, althought there's always one or two malware that manage to slip by (this is what happens when you give a hundred employees that aren't really security-aware Admin Rights on their work computer).

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users