Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

To use a DP to HDMI adaptor or DP to HDMI cable?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 hazelludlow

hazelludlow

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 PM

Posted 04 January 2015 - 05:02 PM

hullo...

i have a NVIDIA GTX 660 and am planning on connecting a new monitor/hdtv using the DisplayPort out and am wondering on which i should use, a DP to HDMI adaptor or a DP to HDMI cable.  is there a difference?  what luck have others had with this type of problem?

thanks much,

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Windont

Windont

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2015 - 08:14 PM

I haven't tried the cables and adapters you're asking about but I expect the DP to HDMI cable will work the same as a DP to HDMI adapter and HDMI cable combination. Maybe certain adapters are made to work with certain HDMI standards and older standards. For example an adapter might work with HDMI 1.4 and older standards. You won't have to worry about mismatching a cable and adapter if you buy a DP to HDMI cable. Might cost a bit less to buy the DP to HDMI cable compared to buying the DP to HDMI adapter and cable combination.

#3 hazelludlow

hazelludlow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2015 - 02:33 PM

pardon the delay...

thanks much for that.   i was just wondering if the adapter did something more than just a cable.

bests,

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 PM

Posted 25 January 2015 - 03:05 PM

In my experience a cable will provide less stress on the connection point then an adapter to cable. Depending on the size of the adapter.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users