Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Polls or Other ways to show consensus

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 leroyrod

leroyrod

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 AM

Posted 04 January 2015 - 04:09 PM

Hello,

I'm a new user on this site/forum and think this is a great resource. The one challenge I'm finding is choosing the right combination of security software. I've tried reading some of the resources but I find, because I don't have a basic technical knowledge some of these go over my head. I often see 'it's your personal preference'. But if something goes wrong, ie. getting infected, I'll be getting help here, so is there some consensus as to what pieces of software are easiest to work with? Is there a poll of those who help us with cleaning up after an infection of programs they like to work with most?

Maybe there could be a new user recommendation package recommending basic security software that was arrived at through a poll of more advanced users.

Thanks,

Leroy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2015 - 07:55 PM

Yes...choosing a security toolkit is a matter of personal preference and what works best on a particular system.
There is no universal "one size fits all" solution that works for everyone and there is no single best anti-virus. Every vendor's virus lab and program scanning engine is different. Each has has its own strengths and weaknesses and they often use a mix of technologies to detect and remove malware.

Here are links to polls about this very subject:
* Poll: Best Antivirus and Firewall
* Poll: Best Anti-Spyware/Anti-Malware/On-Demand Scanner

Most of us who assist folks with malware disinfection recommend ESET NOD32 Anti-Virus if choosing a paid for program as it leaves a small footprint...meaning it is not intrusive and does not utilize a lot of system resources. Emsisoft Anti-Malware is also a good choice if looking for a paid for program and so is Kaspersky Anti-virus. If you don't want to pay then we would recommend avast! Free Antivirus or Bitdefender Anti-virus Free Edition.
The more effective security scanners to supplement your anti-virus are Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and Emsisoft Anti-Malware.

See my comments in Supplementing your Anti-Virus Program with Anti-Malware Tools as to why I recommend Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Pro and Emsisoft Anti-Malware.

I also recommend using the following:

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 leroyrod

leroyrod
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2015 - 02:10 PM

Thanks for the feedback quietman. I've installed some of your recommendations. As I learn more, I'll install some of the others. I have some questions re: the ones I just installed, but I'll start a new topic, as it doesn't relate to polls. Thanks again for your help.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,399 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2015 - 03:14 PM

You're welcome.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif