Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

SSD Hybrid drive installation

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 durkinjt

durkinjt

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 PM

Posted 04 January 2015 - 04:03 PM

Just purchased a Western hybrid ssd drive (WD-10S12X), and cannot get the computer to recognize it. I have a fairly new Lenovo with a 2.5 built in drive that works great with my 125G SSD Drive.I also have a USB adapter and a separate Power/USB hookup that works fine with my SSD. None work in recognizing this drive. Now before I return it, I would like any of you Pro's if you have any ideas as to a mistake on my part, as I have never used a SSD/Hybrid drive before.  T.I.A. P.S. I did download a installation driver from Western, and when I went to install, it did not find the drive.  

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 PM

Posted 04 January 2015 - 04:24 PM

Have you formated the new drive? Does the drive appear in Disk Management?

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 durkinjt

durkinjt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2015 - 06:22 PM

Thanks. The drive did not appear in Disk Management, I have been told I might have to create a drive number, I am about to try.

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 PM

Posted 04 January 2015 - 10:31 PM

If the drive is not showing in disk management you won't be able to assign it a drive letter. Are there any exclamation points in device manager?
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#5 Citizen_WD

Citizen_WD

Authorized Western Digital Rep

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 AM

Posted 05 January 2015 - 03:18 AM

Hello,

First of all - how do you connect the drive to your laptop? Make sure that the hdd hybrid drive is connected properly. You may also try cloning the operating system from your old drive to the new one, and than try to boot the pc with only the WD drive.
It's also worth trying to go to the BIOS setup, & change the disk controller setting from AHCI to IDE.

Hope this was helpful, Citizen_WD

Edited by Citizen_WD, 05 January 2015 - 03:19 AM.

#6 drwmbt

drwmbt

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2015 - 03:14 PM

please give us the make model and drive interface of your new hard disk. I've known the hybrid SSD's to be merely SATA drives with increased RPM (not that they arent wonderful pieces of technology I actually use one) but it should operate akin to a SATA drive, so make sure its on a sata connector.

Now if this is an mSATA drive, this is a completely different ball park and you're dealing with a true SSD drive (non hybrid) please be sure to tell what make/model the drive is and how its interfacing to the computer: SATA, mSATA, WWAN, etc.

do NOT go into your bios and change the controller modes unless you want to reinstall your O/S i've known mode changes such as what Citizen_WD has described above (Changing from raid to ahci, or, ahci to IDE) to cause drives not to boot.

If you do decide to use that reccomendation make sure your disc is backed up and for extra measure that you have a cloned disc image in an external drive somewhere.

You may also want to download a live disc of "Parted Magic." burn this ISO to disc and install your drive, then boot to this live disc and check the drive status from there. With this live image you can also partition the drive, and make those backups/clones of the primary drives i was mentioning above. its a very handy tool for hard drive construction and implementation. Much better than Windows' Disk Management.

Edited by drwmbt, 05 January 2015 - 03:18 PM.

#7 durkinjt

durkinjt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 284 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2015 - 02:43 PM

Thanks for the informative reply. Model WD10S12X, was sold on Ebay as a  hybrid, pretty sure it is not a SSD drive

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users