Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to update intel rapid storage technology driver

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 cjohnston2

cjohnston2

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 AM

Posted 04 January 2015 - 03:19 PM

How do I actually update the driver for this? I have win 8.1 and task manager says IAStorSataSvc (32 bit) (intel rapid storage technology) is using 277.8 MB of memory (it was over 1,000 last night) and .4% of the CPU.  My version is 11.50.1207 and forums indicate this version eats a lot of memory and the driver should be updated.  How do I do that?  There are two versions that can be downloaded,  f6flpy-x86.zip - for 32-bit versions of the operating system and f6flpy-x64.zip - for 64-bit versions of the operating system.  Win 8.1 is 64 bit and the IRST says it is 32 bit, so which one do I use?  Once I have the right one dowloaded, it is a zip folder with 6 files.  How do i update the driver, double click on one of the .sys files, the largest one (there are two, one smaller than the other)?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,439 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 AM

Posted 04 January 2015 - 03:41 PM

The floppy version is used during a new install of Windows. Do you have a SSD and a regular HDD? You can download the full Install here.

SetupRST.exe 13.2.4.1000 (Latest) 

Date: 08/01/2014
Size: 11.13 MB

#3 cjohnston2

cjohnston2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2015 - 04:21 PM

JohnC_21.  Thanks.  I downloaded SetupRST.exe 13.2.4.1000 and tried to run it.  Got the following error.  "Intel Rapid Storage Technology Failure.  The Setup program ended prematurely because of the following error: this platform is not supported."  I have a desktop dell with a normal hard drive.  I also have an external drive for backup. I must say I am not very PC literate.  Thoughts?  

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,439 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2015 - 04:50 PM

What is the model number of the Dell? Please download and run CPU-z. Under the motherboard tab provide the Chipset and Southbridge information. Download from Softpedia.

#5 cjohnston2

cjohnston2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2015 - 08:57 PM

I have a Dell XPS 8500, i7-3770 CPU @3.4 GHz with 8gb of RAM.  Running CPU-Z, the motherboard tab, it is a Dell model 0NW73C, Chipset, Ivy Bridge Rev09, Southbridge, H77 REV04.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,439 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2015 - 09:42 PM

Go here. Select Drivers and Downloads. Select your OS in the dropdown box. Go to the Serial ATA section and download this file. I am not sure why the lastest Intel Rapid Storage driver failed to install. Hopefully this one will.

Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver

Serial-ATA_Driver_FTN3X_WN_12.8.0.1016_A00.EXE | Update Package for Microsoft® Windows® (23 MB)
Release date 23 Oct 2013

Here is the link to the driver page. It is for 8.1 64bit and the XPS 8500.

#7 cjohnston2

cjohnston2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2015 - 06:15 PM

Before looking at this post, I went to the Dell site and found a reference in their forums to this problem and using the Serial ATA Driver.  It was an older version than what is on the Intel site, in fact the same version mentioned above (12.8), but the download installed with no issues and the memory and CPU usage is much better now.  Since it seems to be better, I am willing to let sleeping dogs lie and not try to upgrade to the newest release.  Thanks to all for replying and trying to help.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,439 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2015 - 06:25 PM

Glad you got it fixed. Thanks for the update. Just goes to show that the latest driver is not always the best. It's possible Intel dropped H77 support in the latest driver.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users