Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is This A Good Computer For Its Price?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 shortymac

shortymac

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 PM

Posted 21 June 2006 - 12:11 PM

I saw this sale in a best buy ad for $380, on the surface it seems alright but I just want to make sure before I go out and buy it for my brother:

Emachines
AMD Sempron Processor 3100+ -----> this is what I知 worried about the most since I知 not familiar with AMD processors.
512mb DDR ram
100gb harddrive
DVD/CDRW combo drive
nVidia GeForce 6100 graphics
comes with a monitor and a photo printer

For $30 extra I can upgrade it to:
AMD Sempron Processor 3400+
160gb harddrive
Double layer multiformat DVDRW drive
9-in-1 media reader (T3418/17F3/IP1600) ---> what exactly is this and what does it do?

The most demanding thing he would use this for would be World of Warcraft.
Despite many reverses, freedom has won many battles. Many died in those battles in the conviction that to die in the struggle against oppression was better than to live without freedom. Such a death is the utmost assertion of their individuality. ~ Erich Fromm

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:29 PM

Posted 21 June 2006 - 01:43 PM

Kind of marginal for a gaming system.

The double layer DDV allows you to burn a lot more data to a DVD but the DVD media costs a lot more. It will burn single layer as well.

The media reader directly reads the media from digital cameras.

For $30 more the bigger proscesspr is well worth it.

#3 TheEmuRider

TheEmuRider

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 PM

Posted 25 June 2006 - 11:09 AM

For the average web surfing, music listening, movie watching user this computer would be decent. However, as a gaming rig this will not hold much water, especially with the new games coming out. The most taxing game at the moment for you may be WoW, but you will want to play others eventually. Keep that in mind, because in my experience eMachines aren't easy to upgrade.

If you are on a tight budget and don't want to build your own, I say at least get the $30 upgrade. If you decide to try building your own (as I recently have started doing the same), I'm sure everyone at this great forum would be willing to help you out as they have me.

Best of luck, and let us know your decision!

#4 protozero

protozero

• Members
  • 447 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 PM

Posted 25 June 2006 - 11:45 AM

I would recomend the 30$ upgrade. A few months ago I saw that computer at Best buy when I went ot buy mine. I haven't had any problems with Best buy, some of their prices to are actually quite good. And most of the people working there are usually pretty smart and cna anwser your questions truthfully. I would ask if you're going to buy it what socket the motherboard is? 754 or 939. 939 would be better since later on you could upgrade it to a Athlon 64, an Athlon FX or even an Opteron. The 6100 is intergrated but for casual web surfing, email and movies, it'd be a good system. The 9 in 1 media reader is a little thing, it'll probably be on the front, it's for all sort of small media storage system.s Like Compact Flash, Smart media card, MMC or SD, Memory sticks, ect.
Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users