Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New WD HDD sounds out of the box

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 beachfeet

beachfeet

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 AM

Posted 04 January 2015 - 02:20 PM

Hello BC,

Recently, I installed a new Western Digital Blue on my home PC. It was a replacement for the primary drive. I have noticed that after a Windows install, the drive is making some noises. They are not clicking noises, but rather a continuous soft grinding sound. The noise will increase if I am downloading something, or opening a document. I went to the WD website, and downloaded the diagnostic tool, and the drive passed. Does anyone else have any experience with these drives? This is the first WD HDD that I have owned, and I was wondering if what I am hearing is normal for a WD Blue HDD. Also, this is a new drive, and has never been used by anyone else. Thank you for your time, and I am looking forward to a reply.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,610 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 AM

Posted 04 January 2015 - 02:59 PM

A contlnuous grinding sound is not  normal. You can run a disk diagnostic using Seatools for Windows. Run the short and long test. See if it passes. With that kind of noise, I would RMA if possible.

SeaTools for Windows User Guide - Seagate

#3 beachfeet

beachfeet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2015 - 07:15 AM

Thank you for the reply JohnC_21. Can you please tell me what the difference would be between the Seatools scan, and the Western Digital Diagnostic Scan that was performed? Perhaps, a soft grinding sound was too harsh, but the drive that was replaced definitely sounded like that. With this drive,  I can reallly hear it while I am opening a file, or a program is being downloaded. You could definitely hear it while WIndows Updates were being installed, and the rest of the time, it would be a humming, soft chattering noise :unsure:. I will have to look up some HDD noises. I don't think that I can provide a proper description of the noise, without creating a recording. I could keep on trying, but all that would do is cause confusion.

Edited by beachfeet, 06 January 2015 - 07:19 AM.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,610 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2015 - 09:42 AM

If you ran the Western Digital scan, that would work also and is probably more suited for your drive.

After you do the WD diagnostic test, post the log.

I remember some of the older drives that really sounded noisy when writing and reading but the modern drives are pretty quite. When the drive is first turned on you it's normal to hear a whining sound as it's spinning up.

#5 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,494 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 AM

Posted 06 January 2015 - 10:53 AM

Any grinding, bumping, chattering, or "cha-cha rhythm" coming out of any drive, HDD or Optical, is a no-no. Like JohnC said above, I remember the old Maxtor drives sounded like chipmunks talking to each other, but that was then and normal. With modern technology it is not. If you hear a soft whining as the drive first spins up from shutdown that is ok, but with what you evidently are hearing I suggest RMAing before your warranty expires. The drive may or may not be good, but it's your money you are risking, and if you are 1-day over warranty period and the drive fails you are up a creek without a paddle.  I run both Seagate and WD, and I don't hear any noises from either. I have even run a couple of WD Green series (which is supposed to be their bottom of the line) and they were quiet. I built a computer for my wife with a WD Blue/500 gig and it is so quiet I don't hear even a spin-up whine. I set up a backup system for her computer using a docking station and a WD Black/640 gig and it is totally silent, even spinning up from boot.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#6 beachfeet

beachfeet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2015 - 11:00 AM

Thank you both. I'm going to look into that return, and see what can be done about it.

Edited by beachfeet, 06 January 2015 - 11:01 AM.

#7 beachfeet

beachfeet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2015 - 12:30 AM

Returning this drive is turning into a real pain in the butt. The Western Digital scan came back as a "PASS", and chkdsk is not reporting any errors. HD Tune reported the drive with 0.0% damaged blocks.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 AM

Posted 10 January 2015 - 06:14 PM

Chkdsk is a file system tool...the drive manufacturer won't accept that as proof of anything.  The WD hard drive diagnostic is what must be failed to process an RMA.

Have you talked to WD personnel via phone re these noises?  If so, what was their speculation?

Louis

#9 Teisei

Teisei

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 AM

Posted 11 January 2015 - 01:48 AM

i have a wd30ezrx (green 3tb) and it works find up till it starts making this noise also... every thing i have run turns up showing the drive is fine... but it freezes up the system some times and starts to write at only 4mbs.

i was going to post about it here but after seeing this post i guess im going to try and return.... seems WD has started to do some new type of formatting or what ever and it is causing problems.

#10 beachfeet

beachfeet
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2015 - 12:10 PM

Thank you for the reply. I called the company, and was told that the drive was likely damaged during the shipping process. I will send it back tomorrow, and go down to the store and purchase a new one later on this evening. I find it strange that those noises were coming from the drive, but it still passed the Western Digital Diagnostic test. Thank you everyone for all of your help.

Edited by beachfeet, 11 January 2015 - 12:12 PM.

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,610 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2015 - 12:40 PM

It's good that WD took the drive back. That doesn't usually happen if the drive passes the WD diagnostics. Maybe there was a bad batch of drives and WD knows something about the noises you describe.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users