Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 8 Clean Install

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 anamte3

anamte3

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 PM

Posted 30 December 2014 - 03:45 PM

I am attempting to do a clean install of Windows 8!!! 

I am following the instructions on 

PC support

I am to the steps where I delete the partition where previous versions of windows is installed. I have a list of 7 partitions so I don't know which to delete! I do know that my laptop had windows 7 and windows 8 installed so I need to delete both before I reinstall windows 8! I am attaching a picture of the partitions list! Someone please help thank you 

Attached Files

Edited by anamte3, 30 December 2014 - 03:52 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,611 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:31 PM

Posted 30 December 2014 - 06:10 PM

The System Partition contains the OS to which the system boots. It is designated as C: drive when it is the system partition, regardless of which partition it was previously. This link may contain a more detailed explanation of how to do a clean install.

Remember if you delete a partition, EVERYTHING on that partition is gone - so be sure to backup any data you want to save.

#3 anamte3

anamte3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2014 - 06:24 PM

Thanks I have everything's fixed now! I just called microsoft 

#4 rhino1366

rhino1366

• Banned
  • 524 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 PM

Posted 30 December 2014 - 06:28 PM

Thanks I have everything's fixed now! I just called microsoft 

Oh!!.... congrats! :)  Have a great computing.

Merry christmas! :heart: :heart:

#5 anamte3

anamte3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2014 - 07:31 PM

thanks 

#6 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,044 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 PM

Posted 31 December 2014 - 06:20 PM

Personally i would suggest that if you need to reinstall you might be better using system image recovery. If you made system images before the start of whatever problem you faced that has meant you must reinstall to fix it then you could restart your computer and go through troubleshoot and advanced options to the one to use a system image. Then plug in an external drive with an image on it and use the wizard which has opened to restore the computer to the state it was in when the image was made. This way you don't have to once again go through any of the bother (uninstalling bloatware, putting windows setting how you like them, reinstalling programs you use, setting program defaults to avoid having pdf files and images open in that crappy metro interface,etc,etc,etc) you suffered when setting up the computer first time around.

As long as the image is free of viruses, crapware, dodgy settings or damaged system files then reinstalling from it is as good (or more often better) than reinstalling fully fresh. Don't bother the "reset" "refresh" or "system restore" recovery options though as thye have a habit of not working on some computers.

Edited by rp88, 31 December 2014 - 06:22 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#7 anamte3

anamte3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2015 - 04:10 PM

I have my computer fixed now! I was wanting a clean install because my laptop would NOT boot up at all! I could access bios but that was it! It had windows 7 and 8 on it so it did this endless look of the manufacturers logo and that was it! Everything is fixed now though and thank you for your response 

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,283 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2015 - 04:24 PM

Now that you have everything up to date, I would recommend you image the drive with a program like Macrium Free or Aoemi Backupper. They also let you create a WinPE disk that will let you boot your computer if it fails to boot because of a file system problem or a bad drive. You can boot the disk and then recover your disk image from an external drive in minutes instead of taking hours to reinstall the OS. You can also mount the images as a virtual drive on any computer with the Macrium Free or Aoemi Backupper Program and explore the contents in case you need a file from the image.

#9 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,611 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2015 - 06:30 PM

Glad you're all set. Happy New Year :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users