Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Yahoo overrides my homepage setting

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 mardy

mardy

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 PM

Posted 04 January 2015 - 11:14 AM

I use OSX Yosemite on iMac and Chrome browser.  I've set my home page to my.yahoo.com but even if I change this, it doesn't matter.  I always get a Yahoo news page like www.yahoo.com/a-bunch-of-tagged-on-settings, and I can't change this no matter what.  How can I get rid of this page on startup?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dante12

dante12

• Members
  • 193 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 AM

Posted 04 January 2015 - 12:14 PM

Search for Extensions -> veehd plugin -> Options ->

deaktivate the Option "Override Tabs"

hope this help,

-dante

#3 mardy

mardy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2015 - 03:30 PM

Thank you, dante12, for your post.  The veehd plugin is not listed among my extensions.  

However I do notice I have Yahoo Extension.  Perhaps if I disable this?

Well, I'll do it and see what happens. 

#4 mardy

mardy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2015 - 03:35 PM

Well, that seemed to do it.  I no longer get that Yahoo news page which is good.

Thank you for suggesting I look at Extensions which I should have done right away.

So, I think my problem is solved.

#5 dante12

dante12

• Members
  • 193 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2015 - 04:55 PM

Glad to hear. :-)

#6 maggie300

maggie300

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 AM

Posted 31 January 2015 - 12:07 AM

I had a similar problem but managed to get Yahoo7 off my Home Page but now if I do a search on my default hame page = Firefox search, the search appears on a Yahoo7 page!!!!!  Don't know what to do.  Any help appreciated. :smash:  Maggie300

#7 dante12

dante12

• Members
  • 193 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2015 - 08:56 AM

Sorry for late answer. On the right side of the Address-Bar you have a smaller bar where you can select the search engine like google for example. Is yahoo selected on this bar? If so click on the triangle and select another search engine.

Furthermore you have the possibility to manage the search engines (see at bottom on the bar). You can remove or add new engines if you want. Check, an tell me it this help.

Greetings,

-dante

#8 maggie300

maggie300

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 AM

Posted 05 February 2015 - 09:20 AM

Dante12 you are brilliant!!!!!!

No where else have I seen this mentioned, and I have searched and searched for a solution. Thank you for fixing the problem and stopping me from thinking I have been hacked...much appreciated :) :bananas:

#9 GoCatGo

GoCatGo

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 PM

Posted 27 February 2015 - 09:50 PM

On an associated topic: in the fallout of the Lenovo Superfish debacle, it has been reiterated that Yahoo is a common source of malware PC and Mac alike. Google "yahoo malware" to learn more.

#10 dante12

dante12

• Members
  • 193 posts
  •  

Posted 28 February 2015 - 01:32 AM

That's a big point why you should use ads blocker, flash and script control. This are essential things that needed if you are using the web.

On an associated topic: in the fallout of the Lenovo Superfish debacle, it has been reiterated that Yahoo is a common source of malware PC and Mac alike. Google "yahoo malware" to learn more.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users