Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Linux Mint 17.1 screen issue

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 mralias518

mralias518

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 PM

Posted 04 January 2015 - 10:50 AM

Hi all,

I'm running linux mint 17.1 Rebecca and I am having an issue with my open windows not extending across the entire screen (not talking about full screen mode.) It is almost like a hidden tool bar is preventing the window to extend across. I'm sure it is something stupid and obvious that I'm missing but just can't seem to find it. Screen shot below with the black circle area indicating the problem. 

Screenshot2015-01-04101727.png

Linux Mint 17.1 Rebecca & Windows 8.1 Dual Boot.

Dell E6410 i5 7.60518 Gib of ram

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,384 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 AM

Posted 04 January 2015 - 02:56 PM

I have no idea what the issue is, If that was Ubuntu I would say your launcher panel is missing.

#3 mralias518

mralias518
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2015 - 03:17 PM

Yeah I'm thinking I must have messed the system files up somehow experimenting with different things. Perhaps the best way to proceed will be reformat and re-install. I have another laptop that has the same specs and same OS and it is fine. I did not mess around with that one. I suspect it has something to do with compizconfig and playing around in there. I'm a new linux user who loves to play with things when things are not broke. Best thing I have found so far about linux OS is very easy to install and update. 

As far as Ubuntu goes, I am not using that panel and it is not loaded in applets. 

If anyone else has any idea please let me know as I would like to know what I did so I don't do it again. Knowingly anyway. Thanks. 

#4 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2015 - 04:30 PM

Hi mralias and :welcome: to BC and to Linux!

I know little about compizconfig, but your best option might be as follows:

1. Reinstall Rebecca
  2. Read this page of Tony George's website here, and add Aptik and Timeshift to your software (copy and paste Tony's instructions into Terminal one line at a time)
  3. Once you have Timeshift installed you can set it to take regular system snapshots (eg I take weekly), but also you can use it manually. Timeshift is not unlike Windows Restore.

Timeshift also has an option to clone the system onto another device.

And if you have not already done so, or when you reinstall, go to Terminal and type in

sudo ufw enable

This will set up your Firewall for now and the future

Good Luck

:wizardball: Wizard

#5 mralias518

mralias518
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2015 - 06:33 PM

Hi mralias and :welcome: to BC and to Linux!

I know little about compizconfig, but your best option might be as follows:

1. Reinstall Rebecca
  2. Read this page of Tony George's website here, and add Aptik and Timeshift to your software (copy and paste Tony's instructions into Terminal one line at a time)
  3. Once you have Timeshift installed you can set it to take regular system snapshots (eg I take weekly), but also you can use it manually. Timeshift is not unlike Windows Restore.

Timeshift also has an option to clone the system onto another device.

And if you have not already done so, or when you reinstall, go to Terminal and type in

sudo ufw enable

This will set up your Firewall for now and the future

Good Luck

Ohhhh I like that. Thanks for the info.

#6 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2015 - 06:43 PM

You are welcome, enjoy

:wizardball: Wiz

#7 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,881 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 PM

Posted 05 January 2015 - 07:56 AM

Just in case the problem is related to the screen resolution, I would first of all try using a lower resolution to see if that fixes it, if you haven't already done so.

#8 mralias518

mralias518
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2015 - 09:49 AM

Just in case the problem is related to the screen resolution, I would first of all try using a lower resolution to see if that fixes it, if you haven't already done so.

Thanks for the suggestion and I did not try that prior to the re-install of version 17 (not 17.1) which is now working just fine. I will keep that in mind if I ever run into this again. I made a couple snap shots as suggested above after a new two hour tour on how to use gpart and I am debating the upgrade to 17.1 which I do have on another Dell laptop with no issues yet. One thing I have noticed is the update to 17.1 is not the same as a fresh install from 17.1. Many different screens. Theme area for one is not as versatile as going from 17 to 17.1 in an update which I find kind of strange. 

FYI, for those thinking of using Timeshift, which is a great program thus far, you need to have two ext4 partitions in order to use the snapshot service which means if you don't already have it you will have to make a bootable gpart usb drive to partition your drive. There is no option that I can find to write to a network drive or usb drive. It is not hard to do. 

#9 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2015 - 03:29 AM

mralias518, you can install GParted from the Software Manager, which will allow you to format additional partitions. 

Am interested in Timeshift myself. 

One thing I have noticed is the update to 17.1 is not the same as a fresh install from 17.1.

True, the fresh install seems better, and always has been. It's just that the Mint devs made this as painless as possible, and unlike going from Windows 8 to 8.1 (really a service pack), the difference is like day compared to darkness. Linux Mint 17 upgraded to 17.1 in 10 minutes on my computers, but still. an upgrade is an upgrade, and the outcome won't be perfect for everyone. 

Clean install of the root partition is always preferred, and one can keep their /home & Swap partitions intact. 

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#10 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,384 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2015 - 03:54 AM

I just noticed you have docky, This problem start after you installed it?

Edited by NickAu, 08 January 2015 - 04:44 AM.

#11 mralias518

mralias518
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2015 - 08:52 AM

mralias518, you can install GParted from the Software Manager, which will allow you to format additional partitions. 

Am interested in Timeshift myself. 

One thing I have noticed is the update to 17.1 is not the same as a fresh install from 17.1.

True, the fresh install seems better, and always has been. It's just that the Mint devs made this as painless as possible, and unlike going from Windows 8 to 8.1 (really a service pack), the difference is like day compared to darkness. Linux Mint 17 upgraded to 17.1 in 10 minutes on my computers, but still. an upgrade is an upgrade, and the outcome won't be perfect for everyone. 

Clean install of the root partition is always preferred, and one can keep their /home & Swap partitions intact. 

Cat

Hi Cat: GParted would not allow me to change partition size in a partition that is already in use by Linux. (was not thinking ahead when I did the install) I had to make a bootable GParted USB, which is shown on their website and that went just fine. As far as the upgrade, don't get me wrong, I like the upgrade they way it has been done as it is very quick and easy. It actually worked better for my purpose as I wanted Docky and other theme changes which I could not get to work in a direct install to 17.1 as some of the selections were not available or different or I could not figure it out in the direct install to 17.1. In the upgrade they were, mostly in the Themes area. I wanted to load different windows borders, Icons, Controls, mouse pointers and Desktop. In 17.1 direct install, they were not all available that I could find. I also made timeshift snapshots all they way through the upgrade process in case something happened that I did not like. I wanted to try to duplicate this desk top as I like the looks of it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2QomtHUGUQ

Timeshift is great. I was thinking about a different post on how to take one of the snapshots and turn it into a Live USB. I posted that on the owners website and was hoping for a response. The file structure looks just like an extracted ISO image which looks bootable. I tried making it into an ISO but got many errors, mostly read errors. This was from root in case anyone was wondering. Anyways, I digress. 

All in all any of this stuff for me is just for fun and a hobby at best. Still trying to learn Linux OS as I only started with it two weeks ago. I sure don't miss windows and glad I joined the dark side. 

I just noticed you have docky, This problem start after you installed it?

Great question and the answer is...wait for it.... I don't know. I thought about the same thing after I had already done a fresh install of LM 17. However, I have re-installed the docky and all the bells and whistles and I don't have the same issue. I installed LM17, did all the docky upgrades, got my desktop the way I wanted it and then did the 17.1 upgrade. It's unknown at this point if you install 17.1 direct and then install docky and related changes, if I would have the same issue. I'm sure I installed something in the process that corrupted something, but what? I have no idea. 

#12 dante12

dante12

• Members
  • 193 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 PM

Posted 08 January 2015 - 12:37 PM

Try this:

1. Launch the Startup Manager from "Menu->Administration->Startup-Manager". 
  2. In the "Boot options" tab, change the resolution to something your monitor can handle (1024x768 is usually enough for the boot screen to look nice).
  3. Change the color depth to "24 bits"
  4. Press the "Close" button.
  5. restart

Have running a tweaking tool in the background?

#13 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2015 - 03:43 PM

mralias518, you might find this topic of NickAu's of interest, found here, and contributed to by Animal.

I started mine day before yesterday. It is a choose your own pace course.

I don't know that can or can't enrol after 5 Jan, but give it a shot if you are interested.

Comments on the course should be directed in the first instance to Nick's Topic, or else start a relevant new thread.

Cheers

#14 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2015 - 11:15 PM

Still trying to learn Linux OS as I only started with it two weeks ago. I sure don't miss windows and glad I joined the dark side. 

Great attitude! :thumbup2:

Good to know that there are those who realizes that it takes longer than two weeks to learn a new OS. Many jumps abroad thinking that Linux is a free Windows, which it isn't, and is the wrong approach from the start, setting themselves up for a huge letdown. 

We're glad to have you on this side, always feel free to ask questions when needed.  :)

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#15 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 09 January 2015 - 01:45 AM

Still trying to learn Linux OS as I only started with it two weeks ago. I sure don't miss windows and glad I joined the dark side.

Damn...missed an opportunity there.

I actually regard Linux as the good side of The Force :luke: ...so who d'ya reckon is the Dark Empire, then?

You are in similar shoes to those I wore 4 months ago, except I was umming and aahing for over 10 years whether to try Linux.

Enjoy, and enjoy the course.

:wizardball: Wiz

BTW - with this post, you now have your first Hot Topic ... Congrats! :clapping:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users