Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

/////NEVER UNINSTALL PYTHON\\\\\

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Zach6656

Zach6656

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 PM

Posted 04 January 2015 - 09:25 AM

Allright so... i ufortunatley learned the hard way what exectly uninatalling pyton (in buntu at least) does... im not sure if ALL linux distro's are based off of python for now i know ububtu is... anyways... it removed a BUNCH of dependencies such as desktop, ubuntu software centre etc... never knew trying to get razer mice to work on linux was so hard...

always use DD-WRT for all your routers, if you cant get it for them, throw them away

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 AM

Posted 04 January 2015 - 03:08 PM

Allright so... i ufortunatley learned the hard way what exectly uninatalling pyton (in buntu at least) does

Removing Python is a bad idea as much of Ubuntu depends on it. Reinstalling Ubuntu is the easiest and safest way to get it back.

it removed a BUNCH of dependencies such as desktop, ubuntu software centre etc

Didn't you see the warnings telling you which packages depend on python and thus will be removed with Python?

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#3 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 04 January 2015 - 04:14 PM

it removed a BUNCH of dependencies such as desktop

Does it remove the desktop environment, or just the ubuntu-desktop meta package?

#4 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,712 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2015 - 08:03 AM

I gathered that python was something important, as I see it's the top running process (shown in my Conky System Monitor) every time I boot up.

#5 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,015 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 PM

Posted 11 January 2015 - 03:44 AM

That's why I don't bother with much package uninstalling, sometimes there are numerous ones that can be deleted with the unwanted one. 

End result > Unbootable OS. 

If I do happen to remove something, will always check to see that's going with it, even if it was software that I installed. Some of the packaged for that one may be needed by other components of the OS. This is especially true if selecting "Mark for Complete Removal". 

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#6 Zach6656

Zach6656
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 PM

Posted 11 January 2015 - 03:19 PM

i (semi-luckilly) killed the process as soon ad i saw the words" removing desktop" so it was bootable

always use DD-WRT for all your routers, if you cant get it for them, throw them away

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users