Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

aaaargh

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 defanged

defanged

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:09 PM

Posted 04 January 2015 - 06:02 AM

A few weeks ago my ancient weekend-only pc gasped its last gasp and then proceeded to shutter and die.

I was actually pleased becasuse now I had a legit excuse to start a new build (my fourth entirely alone, and ninth or tenth with a partner to assist).

It's now about a month later, and I'm ready to admit that I definitely am not up to the task of building a computer. I. just. can't. get. this. thing. to. work.

I'm about 90 miles away from the disaster-in-progress at the moment (schedule problems this week; usually i spend the weekend upstate, which is where this catastrophic build resides), but i can describe the problem: I put the PC together carefully and slowly - - how i was taught. Specs as follows: i7-4770k @ 3.5GHz, 32 GB Corsair RAM, ASUS Maximus VII Hero, EVGA Nvidia GTX 780Ti "Classified", Corsair RM 1000 watts, BitFenix "Shinobi", ASUS ROG dual-bay control, Samsung EVO 256 GB SSD (win 7 pro OEM), Western Digital 2TB Black Caviar, Corsair H100i liquid cooling unit, LG DVD-RW. I used the paste that came with the corsair unit, after a little cleaning with an alcohol swab. I installed the CPU, RAM, and cooler unit in the mobo and then mounted the board in the case on the posts. [Note: I'm already aware of the many times I had an opportunity to check the components for functionality before installing the partts in the case. I'm dumb. It's too late now.Recriminations would be kind of redundant, at this point.]

I put in the board, connected the cables (except for the drives), attached a monitor (that I  know works), plugged the cable in the PSU, flipped the switch. and....

The only indication that the system was now powered up was that the start and reset and plastic red bit in the mobo (decoration only) all lit up. In addition, the ASUS ROG unit fired up completely. Nothing on the (monitors) screen. The PSU fan didin't even start. WTF????

I swapped out to a different PSU, checked all the cables, replaced all the cables, removed each stick of RAM and re-inserted it, scoured the mobo manual....  Dunno. I'm stuck. I guess it's possible that the mobo is fried or the CPU was DOA or got damaged somehow. It's just that.... I was so freakin careful. I've been beating my head against this project for over a month. Aside from starting fresh with entirely new parts, replaced one by one, I am out of ideas.

Help?

SETUP, as of 4/14 - Case: Corsair 900D full tower, PSU: corsair 1200 watts, MB: ASUS rampage IV extreme, GPU(s): 3 X Nvidia GeForce GTX 780 hydro copper classified in 3-way SLI , RAM: 64 GB corsair dominator platinum DDR3, CPU: i7 3970X extreme edition @ 3.5 GHz (hexacore), OD: ASUS blu-ray RW, Cooling: EK liquid system, incl. EK waterblock, EK fittings, EK pump, resevoir, coolant misc., generic tubing, Audio: Creative sound blaster Recon3D THX PCIE Fatal1ty Champion sound card, Storage: SSD/HD: 2 X 240 GB samsung SSD (OS - win 7 pro), 1 TB caviar black, 4 TB caviar blue.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 azucho98

azucho98

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 PM

Posted 04 January 2015 - 06:14 AM

You didn't forget to connect your power switch cable to the mobo did you?  If it is connected, make sure it is on the correct pins.  The motherboard is lighting up because it is receiving 5Vsb from the power supply, but the main supply voltages are staying off.

Check to see if your mobo has a "start" button on it. If it does, try pressing that to get it going.  My recent Asus build with a Z97 Deluxe board has one.

What are the specs on your power supply? How many watts & how much current can each output provide?

Good luck!

Edited by azucho98, 04 January 2015 - 06:20 AM.

#3 defanged

defanged
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2015 - 05:07 PM

well, thanks for the advice. (and I'm sure the cable is well-connected; I checked it about ten times).

The power button was lit, believe it or not, and I did try hitting it a number of times, but nothing ever happened.

I'm going to the corsair site to look up the PSU specs right now...

thanks!

SETUP, as of 4/14 - Case: Corsair 900D full tower, PSU: corsair 1200 watts, MB: ASUS rampage IV extreme, GPU(s): 3 X Nvidia GeForce GTX 780 hydro copper classified in 3-way SLI , RAM: 64 GB corsair dominator platinum DDR3, CPU: i7 3970X extreme edition @ 3.5 GHz (hexacore), OD: ASUS blu-ray RW, Cooling: EK liquid system, incl. EK waterblock, EK fittings, EK pump, resevoir, coolant misc., generic tubing, Audio: Creative sound blaster Recon3D THX PCIE Fatal1ty Champion sound card, Storage: SSD/HD: 2 X 240 GB samsung SSD (OS - win 7 pro), 1 TB caviar black, 4 TB caviar blue.

#4 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:09 PM

Posted 05 January 2015 - 07:18 PM

Hi..

I understand this can be the most frustrating thing. 

I am sure though I have not looked at the motherboard manual that this computer has some built in way for determining the problem.

Take out the memory.

See if you cant get any motherboard beeping or POST message.

Motherboard grounding out on case.  This is by far the most common problem.  Did you put in a screw that doesnt have a shield around it on the motherboard?  Since this is a water cooled system.  Are you sure the cpu standoff pins are not touching the circuit board underneath anywhere?  Lets try the memory first.. Next is pulling it out of the case and checking if it will power up.  Then pull the cpu make sure that we dont have any bent pins on the cpu.  This motherboard has a 2 number POST LED on mainboard is it giving you a code? 

Hope this helps

#5 defanged

defanged
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2015 - 10:32 PM

thanks for the ideas - - as soon as i am able to get to where the build is going on (stuck inside due to snow), i'll give them a go...

thanks again

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users