Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

upgrades for a laptop

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 fortune7

fortune7

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 AM

Posted 04 January 2015 - 02:33 AM

i recently got my wife's laptop working again and was wondering what upgrades would be practical for this thing? I think RAM would be the most logical and cheapest upgrade, but i come here for knowledgeable advice on what I could do to make this puppy better. Thanks all, Attached is this system speccy for this laptop.

Summary
Operating System
Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit SP1
CPU
Intel Mobile Core 2 Duo T5600 @ 1.83GHz 65 °C
Merom 65nm Technology
RAM
2.00GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 265MHz (4-4-4-11)
Motherboard
Dell Inc. 0XD720 (Microprocessor) 68 °C
Graphics
Generic PnP Monitor (1440x900@60Hz)
128MB ATI Mobility Radeon X1400 (Dell)
Storage
111GB Western Digital WDC WD1200BEVS-75LAT0 ATA Device (SATA) 59 °C
Optical Drives
SONY DVD+-RW DW-Q58A ATA Device
Audio
High Definition Audio Device
Operating System
Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit SP1
Computer type: Portable
Installation Date: 11/3/2011 9:17:21 AM

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Nikhil_CV

Nikhil_CV

Vestibulum Bleep

• Members
  • 1,145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 PM

Posted 04 January 2015 - 06:30 AM

Hi,
Apart from RAM, if you are lucky, you can upgrade / add a new internal harddisk (if there is an extra bay) to expand your storage / solid state drive to boost your performance.
Since almost all other components are soldered to motherboard (except optical drive), its difficult for upgrading them.
Regards : CV                                                                                                    There is no ONE TOUCH key to security!
                                                                                                                                       Be alert and vigilant....!
                                                                                                                                  Always have a Backup Plan!!! Because human idiotism doesn't have a cure! Stop highlighting!
                                                     Questions are to be asked, it helps you, me and others.  Knowledge is power, only when its shared to others.            :radioactive: signature contents © cv and Someone....... :wink:

#3 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:25 AM

Posted 06 January 2015 - 06:02 PM

I agree with Nik ... Adding enough to make this 4 gig.  And an SSD hard drive would make HUGE performance difference.

There is simply no comparison between a hard drive and an SSD.  My windows computer boots up in like 8 seconds with my SSD.

And unless your going to go with a 64 bit OS theres no reason to go over 4 gig of memory. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users