Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

DDS for 8.1?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
12 replies to this topic

#1 Raddog52

Raddog52

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 PM

Posted 03 January 2015 - 05:57 PM

Is there a program like DDS for Windows 8.1? I have used all the usual tools on my wife's HP laptop ( rkill, ccleaner, tdsskiller, jrt, adwcleaner, malewarebytes, etc) and the same problem comes right back. Pop-ups, ad-toolbars, & ad-based redirects are bombarding her browsing experience. If Momma ain't happy, ain't nobody gonna be happy. I need a tool that will show me what DDS shows so I can stop shooting blindly. 

Edited by hamluis, 08 January 2015 - 07:54 AM.
Moved from Win 8 to AV/AM Software - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 PM

Posted 13 January 2015 - 11:23 AM

It looks like no one answered your thread.

Tools like DDS aren't meant to be used by the end-user, as they won't know how to analyze a log properly, for the simple reason that they haven't received any training in order to do so. Therefore, I wouldn't recommend you to find a "replacement" for DDS on Windows 8.1. There is a really popular one, but it should be used by trained malware removal helpers only. I see that you want to use this tool to help identify infections on your wife's laptop, however, if you are to use such tools to detect these infections and remove them, I strongly suggest you to get assisted by one of trained BleepingComputer's helper here.

Simply follow the guide below to start:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/

Good luck! :)

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 Raddog52

Raddog52
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2015 - 12:10 PM

Thank you Aura for responding to my post. Thank you also for your suggestion of the preparation guide. This is the guide I am going by. Two things I would point out - this guide is nine years old and if you review it again you will see I am at step 6. I'm not your typical "end-user". I have reverted to following a step by step, proven, documented process that allows me the documentation to show the steps taken as recommended by an experienced and authoritative tech. The guide is in bad need of updating as viruses are much less common, adware and maleware in general are much more common and tools listed are obviously not the best choice (DDS not applicable to Win8 & above). As is stated in numerous places there is a need to follow a systematic process rather than throw numerous tools at it, that can mask the source of the problem. With over 100 views of my post I would have thought a BC tech would have picked up on my plight (maybe even Grinler, if still available). Thank you again. I will continue to wait.

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2015 - 12:25 PM

Sorry if I insinuated that you were a typical end-user, it's hard to see who here knows what they are doing and who isn't. I agree with the fact that the guide is old and a bit outdated but I guess there's reasons why it's still being shown and used. Mainly because DDS supports Windows XP, Windows Vista and Windows 7, and Windows 7 still have a biggest market share than Windows 8/8.1, which means that you'll see a lot more threads here which Windows OS are the ones supported by DDS, than Windows 8/8.1. If someone asks for assistance here and post a DDS log under Windows 8/8.1, the first reply of the helper will usually include a procedure to produce a new log from another tool that supports Windows 8/8.1. So I wouldn't worry about it :) Also, I cannot say why no Trusted Helpers answered your thread here yet, but it might be related to my answer above, where DDS is to be used only by trained malware removal helpers :)

What is your plan of action now if I may ask? Post a thread in the Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs section or wait for someone who will recommend you an alternative tool to DDS that will work under Windows 8/8.1?

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 Raddog52

Raddog52
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2015 - 01:54 PM

I would post the FRST log but that is not what was requested. (HJT wasn't either). I'm not sure how someone could post a DDS log for 8.1 - it will not run. I know I have trovi.com on board but I suspect something else crawled in also. I have removed it with adwcleaner, mbam, & hitman pro but it returned.
Removing nasties is easy (with experience & training). Recognizing (or having someone else recognize) how they arrive and how to avoid them, while accomplishing your tasks is the greater challenge.

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2015 - 02:06 PM

Trovi.com is known to be a really persistent browser hijacker that can resist common automated Antimalware such as JRT and AdwCleaner, so I'm not surprised to see that it cameback despite you using such tools in an attempt to remove it.

Concerning DDS, if for some reason, a user cannot run DDS on his system, he's asked to specify it when he post his thread.

Feel free to create your thread in the Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs and ask on which procedure to follow since you cannot use DDS under Windows 8/8.1.

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png

#7 Raddog52

Raddog52
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2015 - 02:20 PM

Thank you again. I just realized that I had posted this in the wrong forum. Explains a lot.

#8 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2015 - 02:29 PM

No problem, everyone makes mistakes! Also, now that you mention it, it explains your "With over 100 views of my post I would have thought a BC tech would have picked up on my plight (maybe even Grinler, if still available)" statement above :P

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png

#9 Raddog52

Raddog52
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2015 - 02:34 PM

Actually, I just noticed my post was moved here on Jan 8 by Hamluis. Guess he thought he was doing me a favor only not so much. I guess I could repost it in Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs again but that seems like a bit of a waste. I know the helpers are overwhelmed but maybe.

#10 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2015 - 02:39 PM

You should post a new thread in the Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs section if you want a check-up of your wife's laptop, since no check-up are being given in this section. Also according to Hamluis, that thread was moved from the Windows 8 section, so it favored you a bit. This is the right section to ask your question in, the question being which tool other than DDS can be used under Windows 8/8.1, but this isn't the right section to request a check-up for malware.

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png

#11 Raddog52

Raddog52
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2015 - 02:54 PM

Done. Thanks.

#12 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2015 - 02:57 PM

No problem, good luck with the check-up! :)

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png

#13 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,918 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2015 - 03:55 PM

Your new topic is posted here.

Now that your new topic is posted, you should NOT make further changes to your computer (install/uninstall programs, use special fix tools, delete files, edit the registry, etc) unless advised by a Malware Response Team member...nor should you continue to ask for help elsewhere. Doing so can result in system changes which may not show in the information or any log(s) you already posted. Further, any modifications you make on your own may cause confusion for the member assisting you and could complicate the malware removal process or make things worst which would extend the time it takes to clean your computer.

From this point on the Malware Response Team should be the only members that you take advice from, until they have verified your log as clean.

Please be patient. It may take several days to get a response because the Malware Response Team members are very busy working logs posted before yours. They are volunteers who will help you out as soon as possible. Once you have posted your log and are waiting, please DO NOT "bump" your post or make another reply until it has been responded to by a member of the Malware Response Team. Generally the staff checks the forum for postings that have 0 replies as this makes it easier for them to identify those who have not been helped. If you post another response there will be 1 reply. A team member, looking for a new log to work may assume another Malware Response Team member is already assisting you and not open the thread to respond.

If HelpBot replies to your topic, please follow Step One and CLICK the link so it will report your topic to the team members.

To avoid confusion, I am closing this topic.

Good luck.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users