Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems with Sound and USB Ports

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Kaityf

Kaityf

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 PM

Posted 03 January 2015 - 05:42 PM

I am at a complete loss with my Toshiba laptop. Neither the sound nor the USB ports are working. I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling drivers, but no success. Here are some messages I get:

High Definition Audio Controller has a driver problem

Hardware devices are not working and not detected in WIndows

Device Driver was not successfully installed [High Definition Audio Controller]

Your device class filter was not recognized and your device might not be recognized when you plug it into a USB port on your computer.

This problem may occur if upper and lower filters are used in the registry.

This problem may occur if upper and lower filters are used in the registry and are corrupted

The USB controller is in a failed state or is not currently installed. The USB Controller must be installed or in a working state for this trouble shooter to run.

Obviously, I have tried running various troubleshooters found on the Microsoft website and have attempted to reinstall drivers (after uninstalling them). I searched the internet high and low and tried every repair option I could find.

Does this mean there are hardware problems? Do I need something replaced in the laptop?  New sound card? New USB ports? Should I just scrap the computer, sell it for parts? I don't want to waste any more time on a hopeless case.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,643 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2015 - 06:37 PM

At this point, I suggest to save your data and desired programs you have installed off-computer, and use the factory restore partition on your hard drive to reimage Windows. If, after that, you still have problems, you most likely have hardware failure, possibly the mainboard, and a repair shop may be your best option. As a reality check, they may charge 50% of what a new lap will cost, so get a quote first.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#3 Kaityf

Kaityf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2015 - 06:58 PM

Yeah...I was afraid of something like that. Toshiba has a factory reset option. I can use the Toshiba recovery wizard to set the laptop to its factory condition. Is that what you're talking about?  Back to it's original condition? That's the only thing I haven't tried yet.  Lol.  Thanks. That's what I'll try next.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users