Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Server can't see computer, but computer can see and login to netwrk

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Rwhunt12

Rwhunt12

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 PM

Posted 03 January 2015 - 04:56 PM

Got a sb server 2003 with four workstations.  Have one workstation that logs in successfully, but when trying to ping the workstation from server (or any other workstation, I get nothing - all packets lost).wondering what the problem could be,  It is a Win 7 with network discovery turned on, could it be a firewall problem?  something must not be configured properly. Only computer with that problem.  Trying to find list of utilities and commands for TCP/IP, but haven't found what I need.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,117 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 AM

Posted 03 January 2015 - 07:55 PM

sounds like firewall mate, go to firewall settings and enabled file and print (ICMP echo IPV4) on Domain or private if they are not on domain.

#3 Rwhunt12

Rwhunt12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2015 - 04:36 PM

just set up a linksys router with DHCP and firewall recently, I went into the firewall, but I am not sure what rule I need to set up to allow file and print.  Is ICMP a command? (utility)

I've got a couple of screen grabs to look at, I thought everything is open

Rich

Attached Files

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:22 PM

Posted 04 January 2015 - 10:42 PM

JohnnyJammer was referring to your Windows/Windows server firewall settings. HERE is a list of tcp/ip commands.
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#5 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 PM

Posted 05 January 2015 - 12:55 PM

ICMP is a protocol.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_Control_Message_Protocol

The routers firewall has nothing to do with local lan traffic.  It is only concerned/looks at traffic coming though the router and usually only inbound not outbound.  This is where you would use a software firewall to alert you to the outbound traffic.

You would look at the software firewall installed on this windows 7 box and set it to respond to icmp requests [ping]

#6 Rwhunt12

Rwhunt12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2015 - 04:37 PM

Thanks for all the info,  guys!

I'm going to check further to see what is going on.  I used ping as a command and ip config all.  I haven't messed with this stuff in years so I'm a bit rusty.

#7 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2015 - 05:35 PM

Even though you can't ping are you able to access the internet or share folders?
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer

#8 Rwhunt12

Rwhunt12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2015 - 06:00 PM

Yes, It can see the server, access the internet and see the other computers.  It was only when I wanted to share a folder on a USB drive connected to it externally and map a drive from another computer that I realized it couldn't be reached.

I made sure that file and print sharing was on, and when I tried to ping it from the server, it still couldn't reach it.  I then took the work station off the netwrok and then rejoined it and still no joy..

#9 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,116 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2015 - 03:37 AM

After ruling out Windows firewall (just turn it off) Or from an elevated command prompt type
netsh advfirewall firewall add rule name="All ICMP V4" protocol=icmpv4:any,any dir=in action=allow
Next would be a different network card.

Edited by Sneakycyber, 06 January 2015 - 03:42 AM.

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer

#10 Rwhunt12

Rwhunt12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2015 - 11:18 AM

Right, I'll try that, I do have a spare giabyte network card, I'll try that also, I'm going over there today sometime if I can get away.  I'll let you know how it goes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users