Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New SSD. How to install os without media disc

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Zerithan

Zerithan

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:47 PM

Posted 03 January 2015 - 04:18 PM

Hey everyone, After reading though (what feels like) hundreds of guides I can't seem to get a straight answer. Here's my problem

Recently I have bought a ssd to use for booting up my computer. I already have a terabyte drive to run my os right now. I've heard about cloning but I'd rather do a fresh install. 

However I bought my computer pre-built from dell and did not get a installation disc just a recovery disk from them. 

Not sure if this goes with out saying but my version of windows is OME (windows 7 home pre)

Is there any way for me to still do a fresh install or do i need to clone at this point?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 defanged

defanged

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 PM

Posted 04 January 2015 - 06:04 AM

would it be that catastrophic to pay for a copy of win 8 (or whatever your thing is)/.

SETUP, as of 4/14 - Case: Corsair 900D full tower, PSU: corsair 1200 watts, MB: ASUS rampage IV extreme, GPU(s): 3 X Nvidia GeForce GTX 780 hydro copper classified in 3-way SLI , RAM: 64 GB corsair dominator platinum DDR3, CPU: i7 3970X extreme edition @ 3.5 GHz (hexacore), OD: ASUS blu-ray RW, Cooling: EK liquid system, incl. EK waterblock, EK fittings, EK pump, resevoir, coolant misc., generic tubing, Audio: Creative sound blaster Recon3D THX PCIE Fatal1ty Champion sound card, Storage: SSD/HD: 2 X 240 GB samsung SSD (OS - win 7 pro), 1 TB caviar black, 4 TB caviar blue.

#3 Jayson201

Jayson201

• Members
  • 208 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 PM

Posted 05 January 2015 - 10:26 AM

Not to be lazy, but if you google Install Windows from USB Drive, you'll find a dozen or so tutorials and how-tos.
The one I used even linked me to Microsofts page with all the current OS's up for downloading. All you need to do is download the right one, follow the instructions, and use your product key.
That's how I did it. However I DID buy myself a Win7 disk, just don't have a DVD drive yet

#4 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 PM

Posted 06 January 2015 - 08:26 AM

Who is the manufacturer of the pre-built PC?  Recovery discs sometimes access a hidden partition on the hard drive, if that is the case, and the drive that partition is on was replaced by the SSD, it won't work.  Some recovery discs have the complete image on the disc, bloatware and all, so reinstalling is a bit easier in that case.  Windows can also create a recovery USB drive that also includes a bootable image.  Cloning your old drive is also possible and likely the easiest.

3939.png

#5 Volanz

Volanz

• Members
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 PM

Posted 06 January 2015 - 08:46 AM

Hi, I'm a Noob member here. 

However, Have you gone to dell and asked them " /what exactly you should do"

I was unhappy when i found out my Brand New Dell did not come with a Win8 install disk. I guess they figured out that users go about fixing things them selves instead of paying "Dell" to do the work.

I'm not a fan of big business and how they operate.  Although in this case firing off a few emails might pay off.

I had trouble with my XPS gen5 and contacted Dell long after my warranty expired.

Surprisingly , dell shipped me a new copy of WinXP @ their expense.

You could get lucky like i did.

Good Luck,

-Volanz

Edited by Volanz, 06 January 2015 - 08:51 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users