Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Starts, opens to desktop for 3:52 minutes and shuts down

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Diver6855

Diver6855

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:06 AM

Posted 03 January 2015 - 11:37 AM

Hardware: ASUS P43E I3 processor, 4 gig ram and 500GB hard drive

Operating system: Windows 7 Pro

Problem: From off computer boots normally, goes to desktop and after 3:52 minutes shuts down to blue screen showing for a second with white information (to fast to read) Computer restarts and goes to 1. Message that says" Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Isert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key" If you press any key it repeates the message. or 2. Goes to screen that says computer did not shut down correctly and asked you how you want to start with normal options Safe mode, Safe mode with network, Normal, Etc.

What I have done: Thinking it was a bad hard drive I removed the drive and put it in external housing unit. Hooked it up to another computer and ran Malwarebytes. No maleware detected. Ran virus scan using Windows detector found nothing. Checked the drive using windows Tools found a startup error which it corrected and defragmented the drive (it was only 6% fragmented)

After all of this I reinstalled the drive in the original computer and started it up. After 3:52 minutes it shut down and here we go again.

I am not sure of what this is although I have a vauge memory of hearing of something like this.

Please help with suggestions or cure. This is my daughters computer and I would like to send her back to school with it working.

Edited by hamluis, 03 January 2015 - 01:12 PM.
Moved from Gen Security to Win 7 - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 systemsol

systemsol

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 AM

Posted 03 January 2015 - 11:47 AM

Download Hard Disk Sentinel Free Trial to a working computer from http://www.hdsentinel.com/ and connect troubled drive in housing to that computer and run HD sentinel program. It will diagnose the hard drive for you.

#3 Diver6855

Diver6855
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2015 - 12:07 PM

systemsol,

Thanks for the idea. I followed and the drive tests Excellent.

#4 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,932 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 PM

Posted 03 January 2015 - 12:30 PM

Hi,

Adjust the Windows configuration to disable the Auto restart following the steps on this guide then post the exact error code you get on the BSOD.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#5 Diver6855

Diver6855
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2015 - 08:53 AM

Sorry for delay. Took some time to finish virus scan I had started. Finally got the system checked after many attempts. Here is the code

*** STOP: 0x000000F4  (0x0000000000000003, 0xFFFFFA8006F50B30, 0xFFFFFA8006F50E10, 0xFFFFF8000338D270)

#6 systemsol

systemsol

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:06 AM

Posted 04 January 2015 - 12:19 PM

Error could be a number of things. From BIOS to memory to SATA controller. Start and see if your BIOS is up to date.

#7 Diver6855

Diver6855
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2015 - 01:29 PM

I went to ASUS site for bios and they do not have a listing for the version (205) I have. They only offer ver. 209, 210, 211 interesting? SATA controller is set to AHCI. Not sure about memory, will try test if I can keep it running long enough.

#8 Diver6855

Diver6855
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2015 - 01:37 PM

One more item of interest may be that if I start in safe mode it will stay running.

#9 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,932 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 PM

Posted 04 January 2015 - 04:32 PM

Hi,

One more item of interest may be that if I start in safe mode it will stay running.

Using Safe Mode generate a MiniToolBox log please.

Download MiniToolBox and save the file to the Desktop.
Close the browser and run the tool, check the following options:

• Report IE Proxy Settings
  • Report FF Proxy Settings
  • List content of Hosts
  • List IP configuration
  • List Winsock Entries
  • List last 10 Event Viewer log
  • List Installed Programs
  • List Devices (select Only Problems)
  • List Users, Partitions and Memory size
  • List Minidump Files
  • List Restore Points

Click on Go.

Post the resulting log in your next reply.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#10 Diver6855

Diver6855
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2015 - 07:33 PM

So I gave up. I formated a spare drive and installed Win 7 on it. This was more to see if it was a Bios or memory problem but it turns out I still dont know what was wrong but the new drive is working perfectly so have to assume a virus that just did not want to be found?

Thanks for all the input.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users