Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Missing MS Office Document Icons

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 rs4221

rs4221

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 AM

Posted 03 January 2015 - 11:26 AM

I have Windows 7 and Office 2010.  Some months ago, I was doing a Windows update and lost power in the middle.  I believe the update included a major update to MS Office, maybe a service pack.  After I recovered, everything worked OK, but I no longer have MS Office icons for any Office documents (.doc, .xls, etc.).  I instead see a generic Windows document icon.

I've put up with it for a while, but it sure would be nice if I could get those icons back so that I could easily recognize documents on my desktop, in Explorer, and elsewhere.  Is there any way to restore them?

Edited by hamluis, 06 January 2015 - 04:13 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Business Apps - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 old rocker

old rocker

• Members
  • 484 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 AM

Posted 03 January 2015 - 12:20 PM

Hi

Let's give this a try...

Click Start

Type programs and features in the search field.

Click Programs and Features from the Control Panel list.

When the Programs and Features window opens find and right click the Microsoft Office Installation entry.

The exact entry will vary by the version installed... mine is Microsoft Office Home and Business 2010.

From the displayed menu choose Change.

From the Change window choose Repair and click Continue.

Let the repair complete (this may take a few minutes) Click Close on the window and although not mandatory, reboot the computer.

Visit the Microsoft Update Site and install any missing updates.

Best of luck and Please keep BC posted!

#3 rs4221

rs4221
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2015 - 01:12 PM

Thanks for the suggestion.  I tried it.  The repair process went for a couple minutes, but then gave me this message:  "Microsoft Office Home and Business 2010 configuration did not complete successfully."  No further information, just a Close button.  I clicked Close and was told to reboot.  I did, and it appears I'm in the same place as before the repair attempt.  I suppose I could google that message and try to find guidance as to how to proceed.

#4 old rocker

old rocker

• Members
  • 484 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2015 - 02:19 PM

Hi

Let's try clearing the Icon Cache...

Open an elevated command prompt in Windows 7
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/windows-elevated-command-prompt/

Copy/Paste or Type each command in Section A. one at a time and press <Enter> after each.

The last line will force the computer to shutdown!
(Make sure you save all of your work before executing these lines)!

Section A.

ie4uinit.exe -ClearIconCache <Enter>

taskkill /IM explorer.exe /F <Enter>

DEL "%localappdata%\IconCache.db" /A <Enter>

shutdown /r /f /t 00 <Enter>

If clearing the Icon Cache doesn't help...

You should be able to find out the missing/uninstalled update, by opening Windows Update and choosing View Update History.

Try reinstalling any missing/uninstalled updates.

You may also try uninstalling windows updates that were installed on the date when the mishap occurred.

Click Start

Type programs and features in the search field.

Click Programs and Features from the Control Panel list.

When the Programs and Features window opens find and click View installed updates.

Remove any updates that were installed on the date in question and let Windows Update reinstall them for you.

#5 rs4221

rs4221
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2015 - 08:57 PM

I tried rebuilding the icon cache using the batch file here: 

I looked at the Windows Update history.  It appears that any update that failed was successfully installed later, so I don't think I'm missing anything.

I looked at the update history specifically for MS Office, at it's strange.  There are 31 updates, all showing the same installation date of 1/2/2015 (yesterday), which is not true.  In the list is Service Pack 2.  I could uninstall it, but it makes me uncomfortable to do so.  Given that everything is working, and this is a just a usability problem, I reluctant to mess around without being more certain.  Maybe I should try posting in a Microsoft forum?

#6 old rocker

old rocker

• Members
  • 484 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2015 - 11:21 AM

Hi

Thanks for being so patient.

Let's try this...

Open the Microsoft Office folder on your Start menu, (Start > All Programs > Microsoft Office)

Open the folder Microsoft Office 2010 Tools,

Open the program named: Microsoft Clip Organizer,

On the Microsoft Clip Organizer window toolbar, find and click Help,

From the submenu find and click Detect and Repair,

From the Detect and Repair window check both entries...

Restore my shortcuts while repairing
Discard my customized settings and restore default settings

Click Start,

Let the repair process run, it will take a short time to complete after which you will be notified.

Close all windows and reboot the system.

If the above procedure doesn't resolve the issue, I recommend you perform a complete uninstall/reinstall of Office 2010.

#7 rs4221

rs4221
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2015 - 10:24 PM

My Microsoft Office 2010 Tools folder only has one item:  Office Anytime Upgrade.  I have a Microsoft Office Tools folder, and it has Microsoft Clip Organizer.  I did Detect and Repair, and I got a message about configuring Expression Web 2, which is old but still installed. There were no messages regarding any other Office apps.  Anyway, I let it go, rebooted, and I see no change.

I doubt that I would do it, but I don't even know how to reinstall Office 2010.  In the old days, they gave you disks when you bought a PC with Office.  This PC, a 2010 Dell, had Office installed, and I don't think there were any disks.  I probably have a product key somewhere, or some evidence that I legitimately purchased Office, but I don't know how that works.  Anyway, as I said, I'm not inclined to do something that drastic and invite a bigger problem.

#8 old rocker

old rocker

• Members
  • 484 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2015 - 03:25 PM

Hi

Dell provides Media to install Office (at least they did in prehistoric times when I worked for them) but no worries...

If you have your Microsoft Office 2010 Product Key, visit the following link...

https://www2.downloadoffice2010.microsoft.com/usa/registerkey.aspx?culture=en-US&ref=backup

Enter the Product Key, Choose the Language, Type in CAPTCHA Information, Click Submit...

Your Product Key Will Be Verified and you will be directed to sign in with a Microsoft account.

If you don't have a Microsoft account, you can create one for free.

Download a copy of Office 2010 (Your Version) at no cost to you.

You can use a program like IMGBURN http://imgburn.com/ to create your CD/DVD media.

You can also request a CD/DVD at a cost to you.

Your problem will be resolved!

I know this works because I had to do it.

#9 rs4221

rs4221
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2015 - 07:48 PM

I'll have to think it over.  Thanks for your help.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users