Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer is slow to boot

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 hlewis02

hlewis02

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 PM

Posted 03 January 2015 - 05:36 AM

Specs:

Windows 7 Microsoft Home Premium  Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601

System Manufacturer HP

System Model p6710f

System Type x64-based pc

Processor AMD Athlon II x4 640 3000mhz 4 cores 4 Logical

Installed Memory 4GB

Motherboard N-Alvorix-RS880-UATX

Chipset 785G

Most of the Problems, I can deal with, they range from Quick Books issues to networking issues, usual stuff.

HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\MountedDevices, has a large amount of entries, some of which are identical, about 30, in all there are about 60 to 70 entries.

I am a Linux guy, got out of Windows a long time ago, so to you Win 7 Gurus, is there a way of cleaning out that key safely?

I am no stranger to the Hive, been fixing peoples computers for years, but this one is a production buisness system, so I need to be sure of what is going on.

I am not asking for a fix, just some advice, some of you may have already run across this issue, or have known someone who has.

My Impression of the problem is that;  they have probably not been shutting down right, and unplugging usb sticks the wrong way,  and unplugging the WD Mybook at night incorrectly.  Your thoughts are appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,957 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 PM

Posted 03 January 2015 - 08:54 AM

I am not sure if this will fix the Reg key issue but take a look at USBdeview. You can look through the list and it will show any devices that are or are not connected. You can delete any vendor specific devices except your mouse and keyboard. I am not sure if this would speed up the computer though. It may solve problems with USB devices not being detected as some drivers can conflict with each other.

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usb_devices_view.html

You probably have heard of this but check out AutoRuns. It will give let you see all of your startup items. I don't recommend removing any of the entries that say file not found because a few of those are actually needed.

Edited by JohnC_21, 03 January 2015 - 09:07 AM.

#3 hlewis02

hlewis02
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2015 - 04:14 AM

Thanks, was actually thinking of trying USBdeview, I have had mixed results with it in the past.  The last few days, using it on windows laptops, and PC's as they come in, no problems yet, it seems safe enough.  I will give it a try. Thanks

#4 hlewis02

hlewis02
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2015 - 04:33 AM

Hah, hah, There were 107 devices in there, got my work cut out for me.  USBdeview worked great, no problems at all. guess you can call this one closed.  Thanks for all your help

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users