Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Alternative DNS server

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 VecchioScarpone

VecchioScarpone

• Members
  • 219 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 PM

Posted 03 January 2015 - 03:02 AM

What are the benefit of using an alternative DNS instead of the default service provider?

I read that Norton DNS will improve online safety and even increasing speed.

Should I use it?

Any suggestion or input is much appreciated. 

:)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,407 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 AM

Posted 03 January 2015 - 08:03 AM

Speed and/or security would be a reason.  Use GRC's DNS Benchmark to determine the best DNS options for you.  I don't know anything about Norton DNS, but can recommend Open DNS.

#3 VecchioScarpone

VecchioScarpone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 219 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2015 - 06:57 PM

Thanks mate.  :thumbsup2:

I'll give it a go with OpenDns for a while, then try out Norton DNS too, and see how it goes.

I did run GCR's DNS Benchmark, but that is another story, I'm out of my depth here...  :scratchhead:

Got to keep it simple  :huh:

By the way:

I'm running OpenDNS without opening an account. Would that provide the same security and speed?

(The security softwares on my Pc, my browsers settings, add ons, are pretty tight and comprehensive on matter of online safety  :nono: )

Edited by VecchioScarpone, 03 January 2015 - 07:58 PM.

#4 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,407 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:51 AM

Posted 03 January 2015 - 10:12 PM

After you run the DNS Benchmark program switch to the Conclusions tab to get a better idea of what the data means

#5 VecchioScarpone

VecchioScarpone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 219 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2015 - 12:51 AM

Did that, the feedback I got (once switched to OpenDNS) was better than when I run the process with my server DNS.

Just not computer savvy enough to really be able to implement the results, or making changes that I would not be able to undo.

It is easy enough to change DNS on the network adapter, more than that I'm afraid  :wacko: 

I'm trying to improve my skills but it is like :deadhorse:  

Thanks again mate.

#6 VecchioScarpone

VecchioScarpone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 219 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2015 - 02:09 PM

Speed and/or security would be a reason.  Use GRC's DNS Benchmark to determine the best DNS options for you.  I don't know anything about Norton DNS, but can recommend Open DNS.

Spent quite few hours over GRC's DNS Benchmark. I was able to work it out and implement the best DNS for my zone. All green lights now. 

Great tool indeed.

You may be interested to know that OpenDNS scored very high, better than Syamantec, Norton DNS, Google DNS, which surprise me much.

:thumbsup:

Edited by VecchioScarpone, 04 January 2015 - 02:11 PM.

#7 DarkSinisterKid

DarkSinisterKid

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 PM

Posted 12 January 2015 - 04:22 AM

Ah, some parents do it so their kids are safer on the Interwebz.

-[ Dark§inisterKid ]-

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users