Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can' able to change my proxy settings in Internet Options

• Please log in to reply
92 replies to this topic

#1 rngvivek

rngvivek

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 AM

Posted 03 January 2015 - 01:50 AM

Few days ago my LAN proxy settings in Internet Options>Connection tab changed and I can't able to revert the changes. It set to

HTTP: 127.0.0.1:8080

Secure: 127.0.0.1:8080

A message at the bottom displays "Some settings are managed by your system administrator". I am the only user of my PC.

I am using windows 8.1 having Internet explorer 11. I had tried all the methods to make it work correctly but not succeeded, please help me to solve this problem I can't able to connect any of the tiles apps and my internet speed also slows down. I checked out for any miscellaneous program that may got installed on my PC but didn't find any one, all are from trusted vendors.

Edited by hamluis, 05 February 2015 - 08:31 AM.
Moved from Win 8 to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 erbins

erbins

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 AM

Posted 03 January 2015 - 12:02 PM

Hi.. I had this at work the other day .. Windows "All in One" network tools fixed this

#3 Mattseph

Mattseph

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 PM

Posted 03 January 2015 - 03:36 PM

Try booting into safe mode and changing the proxy settings from there.  I've seen this quite a few times in recent past.  That has been the easiest/quickest way I've been able to manipulate the proxy settings. 

#4 rngvivek

rngvivek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 AM

Posted 12 January 2015 - 04:54 AM

Thanks for the reply. But, I finally solve this problem. I think this is some type of malware that causes this problem. My antivirus already scanned and removed all the malwares but root of the problem is it had already added some registry entries in my PC which is not required. I just examined and deleted unnecessary entries and my PC works perfectly.

#5 slinkyg

slinkyg

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2015 - 10:30 PM

I am having this problem too, it comes back everytime even after a format and reinstall of windows. It doesn't happen at first but once all the updates are done and everything seems fine it reappears once I reboot. Internet explorer and chrome are affected as is the internet browser within the start apps. Firefox is unaffected. Lan Settings inserts the proxy address http://127.0.0.1:8080/proxy.pac and cannot be removed, it even returns after removing it in safe mode. There is no malware or viruses or illicit software, nothing is detected whatsoever. Once the problem occurs, within Internet Options, under the connections tab, 'some settings are managed by your system administrator' appears at the bottom highlighted in yellow.

This problem recurs everytime and I just can't figure out what is causing it. The same thing has happened on my Windows 7 computer as well as my windows 8.1 laptop. It causes the google search page to display search results incorrectly, the forward and back arrows don't display and clicking on 'more' or 'search tools' within googles search results doesn't work. It also changes the address to https://www.google.co.uk/?ion=0&gws_rd=ssl

Any help would be appreciated, I can't find anything difinitive about it and I don't know what else to try.

#6 Phantom010

Phantom010

• Members
  • 1,022 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 PM

Posted 03 February 2015 - 08:01 AM

I am having this problem too, it comes back everytime even after a format and reinstall of windows. It doesn't happen at first but once all the updates are done and everything seems fine it reappears once I reboot. Internet explorer and chrome are affected as is the internet browser within the start apps. Firefox is unaffected. Lan Settings inserts the proxy address http://127.0.0.1:8080/proxy.pac and cannot be removed, it even returns after removing it in safe mode. There is no malware or viruses or illicit software, nothing is detected whatsoever. Once the problem occurs, within Internet Options, under the connections tab, 'some settings are managed by your system administrator' appears at the bottom highlighted in yellow.

This problem recurs everytime and I just can't figure out what is causing it. The same thing has happened on my Windows 7 computer as well as my windows 8.1 laptop. It causes the google search page to display search results incorrectly, the forward and back arrows don't display and clicking on 'more' or 'search tools' within googles search results doesn't work. It also changes the address to https://www.google.co.uk/?ion=0&gws_rd=ssl

Any help would be appreciated, I can't find anything difinitive about it and I don't know what else to try.

Please download AdwCleaner.

• Double-click the adwcleaner.exe to run the tool.
  • Click Scan.
  • When the scan is finished, click Clean.
  • When the cleaning process is over, click Report and a Notepad window will be opened.
  • Please post the contents into your next reply.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Please download and run the free Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.

• Select the language and click OK.
  • Accept the agreement.
  • Make sure the Enable the Free Trial box is deselected and the Launch Malwarebytes Anti-Malware box is selected, and then click on Finish.
  • If an update is found, it will download and install the latest version.
  • Once the program has loaded, select Scan Now.
  • The scan may take some time to complete, so please be patient.
  • When the scan is completed, click on Quarantine All.
  • Click on Copy to Clipboard.
  • Paste the contents into your next reply.
  • You may be prompted to restart the computer instead, to complete the removal process.
  • If indeed prompted, upon restart, launch Malwarebytes Anti-Malware again and select History.
  • Double-click on the last scan done, then on Copy to Clipboard.
  • Paste the contents into your next reply.

Edited by Phantom010, 03 February 2015 - 08:44 AM.

#7 slinkyg

slinkyg

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2015 - 12:43 PM

# AdwCleaner v4.109 - Report created 03/02/2015 at 17:39:30
# Updated 24/01/2015 by Xplode
# Database : 2015-02-02.1 [Live]
# Operating System : Windows 8.1  (64 bits)
# Username : Gary - ACER
# Running from : C:\Users\Gary\Downloads\adwcleaner_4.109.exe
# Option : Clean

***** [ Services ] *****

***** [ Files / Folders ] *****

***** [ Scheduled Tasks ] *****

***** [ Shortcuts ] *****

***** [ Registry ] *****

***** [ Browsers ] *****

-\\ Internet Explorer v11.0.9600.17416

-\\ Mozilla Firefox v35.0.1 (x86 en-GB)

AdwCleaner[R0].txt - [729 octets] - [03/02/2015 17:38:11]
AdwCleaner[S0].txt - [651 octets] - [03/02/2015 17:39:30]

########## EOF - C:\AdwCleaner\AdwCleaner[S0].txt - [710 octets] ##########

#8 slinkyg

slinkyg

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2015 - 12:50 PM

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
www.malwarebytes.org

Scan Date: 03/02/2015
Scan Time: 17:45:21
Logfile:
Administrator: Yes

Version: 2.00.4.1028
Malware Database: v2015.02.03.06
Rootkit Database: v2015.02.03.01
License: Free
Malware Protection: Disabled
Malicious Website Protection: Disabled
Self-protection: Disabled

CPU: x64
File System: NTFS
User: Gary

Scan Type: Threat Scan
Result: Completed
Objects Scanned: 320418
Time Elapsed: 4 min, 32 sec

Memory: Enabled
Startup: Enabled
Filesystem: Enabled
Archives: Enabled
Rootkits: Disabled
Heuristics: Enabled
PUP: Enabled
PUM: Enabled

Processes: 0
(No malicious items detected)

Modules: 0

Registry Keys: 0

Registry Values: 0

Registry Data: 0

Folders: 0

Files: 0

Physical Sectors: 0

(end)

#9 Phantom010

Phantom010

• Members
  • 1,022 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2015 - 01:16 PM

Please do the following:

Press the Windows key + R to open a Run box. Copy/Paste the following command:

regedit /e C:\Look.txt "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings"

Press Enter.

You won't notice anything. However, it will have created a report on your C drive named Look. Copy/paste that file into your next reply.

Edited by Phantom010, 03 February 2015 - 01:16 PM.

#10 dinodod

dinodod

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 PM

Posted 03 February 2015 - 03:47 PM

What software are you installing?  It sounds like some Internet filter / security suite like AdMuncher or K9 Web Protection.  Maybe it's malware but you said this has happened on 2 OS's now so it may be something you are installing.  And the fact that you can't undo it in Safe mode is odd.

Essential Tools for safe computing

https://sites.google.com/site/dinodod/pc-standards

Please leave a comment on anything relative and help me expand on it.

#11 dinodod

dinodod

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 PM

Posted 03 February 2015 - 03:48 PM

Try running netstat -o -a and see what is listening on 8080.  Look at the PID and match it to a running process or service on your PC.

Edited by dinodod, 03 February 2015 - 03:49 PM.

Essential Tools for safe computing

https://sites.google.com/site/dinodod/pc-standards

Please leave a comment on anything relative and help me expand on it.

#12 slinkyg

slinkyg

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2015 - 05:04 PM

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings]
"ProxySettingsPerUser"=dword:00000000

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Cache]

#13 slinkyg

slinkyg

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2015 - 05:16 PM

You will notice that the Dword is set to 0. Changing it to 1 resolves it temporarily until a reboot.

dinodod- there is no software installed at all except drivers and windows updates. Originally I had thought it was software causing it but it occurs everytime after a reformat and clean install, not immediately but following windows updates and system restore doesn't clear it. The fact it has happened on my other computer running windows 7 leads me to believe it is related to an update - yet none of my friends are having this problem. I just wish I knew what was causing it, I'm usually good with computers but this is way beyond anything I've ever come across.

I'm afraid I don't know what netstat is or how to run it.

#14 slinkyg

slinkyg

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2015 - 05:20 PM

A lot of forums have led me to believe it's something in the group policies and to use gpedit.msc - however this is only available on pro versions which mine isn't. I'm just a home user, I have never used a group policy in my life or a proxy for that matter :smash:

#15 Phantom010

Phantom010

• Members
  • 1,022 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2015 - 05:28 PM

I attached a registry fix to this post. It's called FixProxy.

Click it and save it to your desktop.

Right-click it and select Extract All...

Once the file is extracted from the zipped folder, double-click it to add the fix to the registry.

Agree to the prompt.

If you still cannot modify proxy settings, restart your computer and try again.

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users