Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Whats Wrong With My Connection?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 alienspazms

alienspazms

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 AM

Posted 21 June 2006 - 10:05 AM

My computer says everything is running fine. My modem is looking normal as well as the router, all the wires are connected properly. Yet every ten minutes or so my connection stops. Again, the computer doesn't pick this up, but I can't get online, on MSN, all that other stuff. Then when I restart it works again for another little while before conking out again. If anyone knows, please tell me how to fix it!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:14 PM

Posted 21 June 2006 - 05:10 PM

Two things.
First- Clear the cookies, files, and history in IE and if you use FF clear them there too.
IE> Tools> Internet Options> Clear cookies, delete Files, and clear history an set the days to the lowest you can live with. I am st to 0.

FF> Tools> Options> Clear All.

Second_ Go to Start> Run> cmd> Ipconfig /flushDNS

Let us know if it works for you.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 alienspazms

alienspazms
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2006 - 09:35 AM

Nah... it still booted me off... I figured out a way to get back online without restarting though. I have to disable (from the computer) my LAN connection and manually reset the router. Then I enable the connection and it works for a bit then stops again.

#4 alienspazms

alienspazms
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2006 - 11:11 AM

Its actually getting worse. I've gotten off kicked twice in under two mintes... I officially hate it. :thumbsup:

#5 alienspazms

alienspazms
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2006 - 04:47 PM

And the packets or whatever that my router is sending is normal, but I'm hardly recieving any at all... is that normal?

#6 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2006 - 12:42 AM

I believe you may have a damaged or worn coax on your ISP's side of the modem. Have you had your ISP run a line test?

#7 alienspazms

alienspazms
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2006 - 02:40 AM

Nope... do I call them up and tell them or what?

#8 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2006 - 09:10 AM

You ISP can run a line test on the line that run from the house to the street.

#9 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  

Posted 23 June 2006 - 04:55 PM

another thought to add. what kind of router do you have? have you checked for a firmware update? firmware updates fix software issues related to , in your case, router. it may or may not fix your specific issue, but it will get your software up to date, and possible solve it. you could also be suffering from a buffer overflow issue coming from your router. try this, un plug your router for a day or so, run your internet from the modem and leave your router out of the equasion for t he time. this way you can narrow the net issue to your side or your isp's side, a bit of troubleshooting.post back with your results.
dave
Google...Google.....browse..read

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users