Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 8 System restore failed

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 LScar1976

LScar1976

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 AM

Posted 02 January 2015 - 11:32 PM

Several days ago, my husband's computer had a problem with high cpu and memory usage, which I found COM Surrogate/COM Surrogate 32-bit (dllhost.exe) to be the culprit. Running scans on it with malwarebytes and then adwcleaner seemed to clear up the problem. Today it reappeared, and so I attempted the same scans, with no luck. My next step was to run a system restore using a restore point, and after waiting for two and a half hours for it to make changes to the registry, it finally began the rebooting process, where it sat for nearly an hour without booting up at all. I attempted to use the system recovery (F11), which ended up with nothing more than a blank black screen. Scanning with the system diagnostics startup tests show no problem, all tests passed. I cannot repair this problem however, due to a lack of recovery/rescue disk. The computer with the problem runs windows 8 64-bit. Is there any way to fix this computer without having to take it to a shop to be fixed, or spending money I don't have on recovery disks from the manufacturer? 
The computer is an HP G6 Pavillion notebook pc, and it is no longer under warranty.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,900 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 AM

Posted 03 January 2015 - 02:50 PM

I have had failures like this the one time i tried to use system restore on windows8, as a general principle it doesn't seem to work. The ideal fix would be to use a system image on a USB or external hard drive, but i am guessing you did not make one of these whilst the computer was working.

As far as recovery discs go thse can be made from any computer (a friend's) with windows 8 64 bit installed as the OS but all they will do is get you to the recovery evironment from which you can then select options. If you can find a way to use a repair disc to reach the recovery environment then try choosing the system image option anyway (under troubleshooting-->advanced options) if you are really lucky your manufacturer might have placed a system image from the time of installation onto a hidden partition of your hard drive and you might be able to do system image recovery from it.

If there is no such recovery image saved on the machine then the "reset" or "refresh" options may help, but they are just as likely to fail as system restore, so i doubt they will help.

The first thing to do is find a way of getting to the windows PE recovery environment, if you turn on the computer and leave it long anough it might (just might) do that itself, if that doesn't work find a friend with windows 8 64 bit, use his computer to make a recovery disc and then try inserting it into yours.

If that brings up the recovery environment then check for system images made by the manufacturer when the computer was brand new, if there is one restore from it and then reinstall all your programs and updates (but NOT KB2871389 as it would make you upgrade to windows 8.1 and then this system image would no longer be useful if you needed it again) to get your computer back to working order, whilst doing this make yourself a couple of system images on external hard drives or high capacity USB sticks(the USB sticks must be of a type which registers as "local disk" when plugged in not the tyoe which registers as "removable disk" ) so you can restore from them in case of future disasters.

If there is not a built in system image then try "reset" and "refresh" but i don't think they are likely to work, if none of those things work i think you will have to visit a repair shop or order discs from the manufacturer (the discs will likely cost about £20).

Also you might want to wiat and see if anyone else on this forum has suggestions for how to fix your issue, i've put what i know but others might know tips that could help which i have not heard of.

Edited by rp88, 03 January 2015 - 02:50 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,040 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 AM

Posted 03 January 2015 - 03:11 PM

Use the Recovery partition on the hdd to reinstall the operating system.  This will take it back to the condition it was in when it came out of the box.

Before you do this you need to back up all of your important data to removable media, like an external hdd, DVDs, flash drive.

The video below will explain how to use the recovery partition.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 Plumber

Plumber

• Members
  • 409 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 AM

Posted 04 January 2015 - 06:43 PM

I don't think I can be of much help but I will tell you one thing.I have a Dell desktop which is about a year old and runs perfect but for the life of me I can't do a system restore from the desktop.I have to run it in safe mode and works perfect everytime.Go figure.

#5 LScar1976

LScar1976
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 AM

Posted 04 January 2015 - 09:16 PM

Thank you all for your help.. unfortunately we were not able to get it working, so he's taken it to a shop to have them look at it. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users