Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Startup Stuck on "Microsoft Corporation" Loading Screen

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 erf

erf

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 AM

Posted 02 January 2015 - 08:11 PM

Today, after I awoke my laptop from sleep mode, I browsed Firefox and watched something on YouTube, and when it was done, I closed the tab. Right after that, the desktop froze. But right before this happened, Google Chrome had been running in the background and I closed it through the little notification icon (this was about less than 5 minutes or so before the freezing happened). I have no idea if my laptop freezing was because of Flash, or Firefox, or Chrome closing but this freezing stuff happens from time to time, so I did what I always do: I manually turned off my laptop then turned it back on.

This is where the frustration began. The screen with "Microsoft Corporation" and the loading bar underneath it usually goes away in under a minute, but this time it was on for about five before I restarted my laptop again. After that, the startup screen suggested I run Startup Repair. This is not common for me, so I got a little worried. While Startup Repair was running, a prompt for System Restore pops up and I agree then about 30 minutes later, Startup Repair asks to restart.  However, it didn't seem to work because the Microsoft Corporation/loading bar screen was still hanging. I restart manually again and try Startup Repair again, but this time, it just restarted on its own without prompting me for anything. Yet again the loading bar screen was hanging. So this time around, upon manually restarting again, I tap F8 and open Safe Mode and here I am, asking for help. I'm glad I could open Safe Mode to save pictures and important stuff to my Dropbox before any of this gets worse. I am not sure what to do now. Earlier when the prompt for System Restore popped up, nothing System Restore related happened afterwards, so should I run that?

For clarification, I did not make any system changes right before this happened, only downloaded pictures and the like.

I should also mention that a few weeks ago, something similar to this happened where my laptop froze after I woke it up and after manually restarting, my desktop would freeze after only a few minutes of it starting up. I had run CHKDSK once but it didn't help as it too froze. It was stuck for several hours. And System Restore did not help either. I could only work in Safe Mode. I am not sure why but for some reason creating a new User Account fixed this or at least seemed to fix it.

Also, I am running Windows Vista 64-bit and I have an HP Pavilion dv6000 notebook that will be 7 years old this year, so I suppose the issue could be that it's finally crapping out on me. Sorry if I left anything else important out and thanks for any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 AM

Posted 02 January 2015 - 09:30 PM

Hi,

The fact that chkdsk failed (or appeared to fail) is quite disconcerting.  That would lend me to believe that the Hard Drive could be on its last leg. 

You said the first thing you did was to back up your wanted files.  Good Idea.  I would double check to make sure you have backed up everything you need.

How much hard drive space is left available on this computer?

When you ran chkdsk previously did you run it within the windows command prompt ?

Or did you start the computer and choose safe mode command prompt?

I think for sure we would want to make sure your hard drive is healthy before we try much else.

#3 erf

erf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2015 - 03:02 AM

Thanks for your response!

To answer your questions: there are 32.1 GB free of 220 GB and I ran chkdsk by scheduling it while I was using Safe Mode then restarting and letting it run.

I'm curious as to why I can work in Safe Mode but can't get past the loading screen. I am not so technologically-savvy, only a little bit, so if anyome can explain this to me, I would greatly appreciate it.

#4 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2015 - 04:56 AM

Well my first guess to answer your question as to why you can play in safe mode but cant in regular is because theres a driver thats causing the system to hang.  But I since you said chkdsk failed to run I am thinking we should make sure the drive is healthy first.  When you get to the startup console can you choose the option for safe mode command prompt.

Run the following command at the prompt:

Chkdsk /f

press enter. Let it finish and post the results

#5 erf

erf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2015 - 11:14 AM

Did what you said, but since startup hangs on the Microsoft Corporation screen, it seems chkdsk can't run.

#6 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2015 - 01:27 PM

My fault I was not clear enough.  When you turn on the computer press F8 repeatedly until you get to the boot menu choose safe mode command prompt and then run chkdsk from there.  You must hit F8 and get to the command console before you see the windows logo appear.

#7 erf

erf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2015 - 03:41 PM

Yeah, that's what I did. Tapped F8, took me to the boot menu, selected safe mode with command prompt, then it took me to the user menu and I selected my user account, then command prompt was open. Typed chkdsk /f, it told me something along the lines of not being able to run while the volume was in process so it asked if I wanted to schedule to run chkdsk on next startup and I typed y and hit enter, then typed shutdown -r and hit enter and then it rebooted but got stuck on that loading screen. Should I have done something differently?

#8 erf

erf
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2015 - 10:31 PM

Still having this issue. Been using my tablet for EVERYTHING, but I'd still like to fix this issue and prolong the laptop's life for at least another year or so. Anybody else have any idea what could be wrong?

#9 zcomputerwiz

zcomputerwiz

• Members
  • 312 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2015 - 05:44 PM

Is it an HP/Compaq with an AMD cpu and Nvidia gpu? If it is, try uninstalling the Nvidia display driver and see if you can boot normally.

Have you tried turning it off and on again?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users