Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo
* * * * * 2 votes

How to create a secure multi-session Puppy CD with updatable Firefox browser

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 5,254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 PM

Posted 02 January 2015 - 05:04 PM

How to create a secure multi-session Puppy CD with updatable Firefox browser

Guide Overview

The purpose of this guide is to teach you how to create a secure multi-session Linux Puppy CD with an updatable Firefox browser. (Please see my EDIT at the end of this post for a quicker and easier alternative)

Equipment required:

1) A computer with internet access

2) A blank CD-R (A CD-RW might also work, but a normal CD-R is recommended)

Using a "live" CD rather than an installed operating system for internet browsing because nothing can be saved to your files unless you select "save" and write another session to the CD. So in the unlikely event of some malware affecting your Linux file system while you're browsing the internet, it will be wiped from your computer when you reboot or shut down unless you choose "save."

I'm going to use Tahr Puppy, which will upgrade to the latest version during this set up process. Tahr Puppy was recently reviewed and rated 10/10 by Linux Format magazine and should be suitable for all but very old computers.

If your computer is old and has integrated graphics, it may not boot with Tahr. If Tahr doesn't work on your computer I suggest trying Lucid Puppy 5.2.8.7 instead. It has recently been updated, works better with older hardware, and also includes the application called Quickpet which has the up-datable Firefox that I'm going to install here.

All that is not covered here is:

1) How to boot your computer from CD/DVD.

2) How to burn an ISO image to a blank CD. If you use XP and don't already have ISO burning software, I recommend freeISOburner. It's a tiny program that solely burns ISO images to CD or DVD, contains no spyware, and is simple enough to not need installed on your computer. Just download it, click on it, and it runs. If you have Windows 7 or later, simply click the ISO file with a blank CD in your drive, and Windows more or less does the rest.

NOTE: Do not "close" the session when you burn the ISO to CD. In order to be able to save anything to CD, you need to leave it "open" so that you can write other sessions to it. Depending on your burning software, you might need to check a box that says "create a multi-session CD," or uncheck a box that says "close CD," or something similar, prior to starting the burn.

If you require further advice on either of these topics, please start a new thread in the Linux forum specific to your computer and software. I hope to cover everything that specifically relates to Puppy here.

You'll find a link to the latest version of Tahr Puppy here.

When you have burned the Puppy ISO file to CD, put the CD in the CD/DVD drive and boot up your computer.

(NOTE: This guide was originally written for Tahr Puppy 6.0. Some of the following steps may have become redundant in the newer versions of Tahr Puppy.)

In the window that appears, check the box that says "Firewall enabled" and select your country and language etc from the drop down menus.

When done, press OK.

In the next window that opens Press Return/Enter on your keyboard to confirm you want to enable the firewall, and the script in the window will automatically run. When you see it has finished, and it only takes a couple of seconds, press Return again to close the window and acknowledge that the firewall is now enabled.

In the next window that appears, select your country/continent.

Click on "autostart" if you want Puppy to synchronise the clock at each start up.

The next window to appear will say that you have finished Quick Setup. Click on "Restart X" to apply the changes.

t5_zpsd5291e44.png

If you use an ethernet cable to connect to the internet, you will probably be connected already, in which case just close the next window.

If you use usb or dial-up for the internet, or your computer has more than one ethernet connection and you are not already connected, then click the "connect" icon and follow the instructions specific to your connection. If you want to set up a wifi connection, detailed advice is here.

Now click on the "quickpet" icon on the desktop, then click on "tahrpup bug fixes." Please note that like most other Linux operating systems, by default, you single-click rather than double-click on desktop icons and files etc to open them.

t7_zps0e3d487b.png

Click OK:

t8_zps9e6892a1.png

Now click on the "install" icon on the desktop. In the window that opens, click the "install applications" tab then "Puppy Package Manager."

t9_zps950ee7f9.png

When Puppy Package manager opens, close it, leaving the Service Pack window open.

t10_zpsd4f23ca6.png

t11_zpsb941f2f0.png

Click OK to install the Service Pack, then click OK to acknowledge that it has been installed when prompted to do so.

In the next window that appears, click "Yes"

t12_zps1baf8406.png

Now open quickpet again, and click on "update quickpet"

t13_zps39be6dd9.png

Click OK:

t14_zps0fe476b1.png

Now to install Firefox. Click on the "Browsers" tab in quickpet, and click on Firefox.

t15_zps35943ae4.png

Firefox will now automatically download and install. Click "OK" when prompted to do so.

OPTIONAL STEP:

If you plan on using Firefox to watch videos, you might also want to install Flash. Bear in mind that Adobe stopped releasing new versions of Flash for Linux some time ago, so all that is available are older versions. However, flash will be downloaded and installed as a plug-in for Firefox, which need not be enabled by default, which is what I am going to do. So if you want to install Flash, click on the icon, then select the most up-to-date version (unless you think an older version would be more suitable for your computer). Click "OK" when prompted to do so.

t16_zps14e98919.png

Alternatively, you might want to install Google Chrome from quickpet, as it comes with pepperflash player built in. But I don't think it can be updated as easily as Firefox, and for the purpose of this thread Firefox is what I'm using.

You could of course install both browsers, but bear in mind that the more software you install, the longer your multi-session CD will take to boot.

Or, make more than one Puppy CD. You could have one for watching videos, and another for internet banking for example. The possibilities are endless. :)

So with Firefox installed, select it from the menu.

t17_zps9de8faee.png

Make it your default browser if you want, and close the "take a quick tour" option.

t18_zpsf37bd520.png

Now to update Firefox to the latest version. Right-click in the white space to the right of the tabs, and select "Menu Bar"

t19_zpsfba61eb1.png

(continued in next post)

In the Menu Bar, select "Help" then "About Firefox"

t20_zps43285d73.png

Firefox will now automatically update to the latest version.

t21_zpsc2c7e737.png

Click to restart Firefox when prompted to do so, to apply the update. If you want, select "About Firefox" from the menu bar again, and it will confirm that it is the latest version.

This is how to update Firefox each time a new version is released. Clicking on "About Firefox" will either update it to the latest version, or confirm that you already have the latest version, so it's a good idea to check it periodically.

Now is a good time to install any add-ons you want, and check they are up to date.

t22_zps1c51c174.png

... and to set Flash to "Ask to activate" if you have installed it.

t23_zps6e35451f.png

When you have finished installing plug-ins, is a good time to close Firefox with several tabs open, if you don't want to be warned about closing multiple tabs again.

t24_zpsa1320113.png

Now all that remains to be done, is to write another session to the CD during the shut down process, so that everything you have done will be saved. So with the CD in the drive, select "exit" from the Menu. The select the following options, when presented with them:

1) Shutdown
2) SAVE
3) administrator
4) SAVE TO CD

Now press Enter/Return on your keyboard to save the session to CD, which might take a few minutes to complete. The CD will automatically eject when completed. Remove the CD from the drive (unless you want to leave it in), then press Return again to close the CD drawer and shut the computer down - close the CD drawer manually if you're using a laptop.

Now you have a personalised, secure, portable operating system, and all it cost in monetary terms was the price of a blank CD. B)

The idea is that in future when you shut down, and have not installed or updated anything, select "NO SAVE."

On occasions that you do want to save another session, for example if another Service Pack or version of Firefox is released, install such things just after booting up. Save sessions before rather than after browsing the internet, both to minimise the chance of saving any malware, and to ensure that you aren't also saving a bunch of temporary internet files to CD.

I should also mention that even though booting from CD is the slowest way of booting Puppy, Puppy is very fast when booted up. Unlike most larger live operating systems, Puppy runs entirely from RAM, so you can remove the CD from the drive when it's booted up and use the drive for other purposes.

Just bear in mind that when you are using Windows for example, Windows will prevent you from deleting system files, but the only thing preventing you from accessing and deleting Windows files while booted up with another operating system is your common sense. So while Puppy is designed to be user-friendly, it's not for little children to play with. However your hard drive is not accessible by default when you boot up with Puppy. You can see the icons in my screenshots that represent my hard drive partitions, just above the menu bar: sda1, sda5 etc. If you are using XP or Windows 7, you might only have one icon/partition. So unless you know what you're doing, don't mess about with your hard drive partitions. Otherwise, it's perfectly safe to mess about with Puppy's file system, which you can access by clicking on the "file" icon on the desktop.

Similarly with all the applications that are included in the menus, most of them are perfectly safe to play around with; except one called Gparted, which is a hard drive partitioning tool, and you can easily wipe your hard drive if you play about with it and aren't familiar with it.

If you want to download anything using Puppy, it will be downloaded by default to your downloads directory, which you will see if you click on the "file" icon on the desktop. The easiest way to save downloaded files is to drag and drop them onto a usb flash drive. Plug one in, and you will see an new icon on the desktop appear, which will probably be labelled sdb1.

t25_zps25b92a6b.png

Click on the icon to access the USB drive, a little green button will appear (which you press to remove access to the USB drive and/or remove it) to show that it is accessible (/mounted), and a window will open automatically into which you can drop files from your downloads (or any other) folder. Then when you become more familiar with Linux filesystem, set your internet browser to download files to usb instead of the default downloads folder.

But I reckon that's enough for now, and I hope some folk will find this information helpful.

EDIT: Due to Firefox being quite a large application for a CD particularly when it has been updated a few times, and to recent versions of Firefox being prone to crashing, on my latest Tahr Puppy CD I am just using the included Palemoon browser. Palemoon can also be updated easily by clicking on "Palemoon Updater" in the menu under "Internet."

Edited by Al1000, 28 November 2015 - 08:14 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Al1000

Al1000
  • Topic Starter

• Global Moderator
  • 5,254 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2015 - 05:05 PM

Edited by Al1000, 28 November 2015 - 08:14 AM.

#3 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 4,617 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 PM

Posted 05 January 2015 - 09:07 PM

Awesome! :thumbup2:  Thanks a lot Al000.  If and when you have time I would love to see another thread like this but a USB Install, where in all savefiles will go to USB, I think I got a handle on it though, and will be attempting soon.

I did what you said in this tutorial but had no luck Updating Firefox.  I will have to revisit this and try again.  I got some new DVD's today.  The thing is, I bought DVD-RW because that is what was suggested in a fatdog tutorial I read.  It don't matter as I want to put it to usb anyhow, and be able to put the savefile where ever will be the fastest, frugal? I don't know yet.  Seems that my first LiveUSB of fatdog, went well using UNetbootin - and putting the savefile to Windows partition.  As you know this has not gone well recently, but I will try again.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#4 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 4,617 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2015 - 10:04 PM

Awesome! :thumbup2:  Thanks a lot Al000.  If and when you have time I would love to see another thread like this but a USB Install, where in all savefiles will go to USB, I think I got a handle on it though, and will be attempting soon.

I did what you said in this tutorial but had no luck Updating Firefox.  

Correction, I tried this with Chrome, sorry Al000.  Do you know how to do this with Chrome.  If not I will have to consider using FF with puppies, or just use the outdated Chrome?

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#5 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 9,403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 AM

Posted 14 January 2015 - 11:28 PM

I did what you said in this tutorial but had no luck Updating Firefox.

My Puppy Precise doesn't want me to update Firefox. Stuck at 30.0

#6 Al1000

Al1000
  • Topic Starter

• Global Moderator
  • 5,254 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2015 - 08:59 AM

I've since discovered that there is an updatable Firefox for Precise 5.7.1 as well, in the Precise QuickPet which isn't installed by default in Precise but can be downloaded from here.

So to install the updatable Firefox in Precise Puppy:

1) download the QuickPet file

2) click the file to install it (when booted up with Puppy)

3) follow the directions in the OP to install and update Firefox.

#7 Al1000

Al1000
  • Topic Starter

• Global Moderator
  • 5,254 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2015 - 09:01 AM

Do you know how to do this with Chrome.

I've responded to this question about Chrome in your thread.

Edited by Al1000, 15 January 2015 - 09:10 AM.

#8 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,528 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2015 - 01:51 AM

Great Tutorial, Al1000! :thumbup2:

Grabbed the latest Tahr Puppy, made a mistake on the first download, the 6.0.2 must be the SP. Found the ISO & the Free ISO Burner that requires no install, which I love, because I don't like installing things that may be used once a month, if that. Seen the 'Finalize Disc' box to leave unchecked, which isn't an option in either the normal burner I use on Windows in ImgBurn, nor Power2Go. 

So this CD can grow & grow until it no longer fits & I can then copy to DVD and continue, using a 'Copy Disc' function? Hopefully that wouldn't finalize, or there would be an option not present when creating ISO's to leave the blank space to keep adding to the DVD. Though I'd imagine it would take some time before I grew one that large. 

Thanks for sharing, am going to burn the ISO now.  :)

Cat

ASUS Z97-PRO Gamer PC. EVGA GTX 1070 FTW + ACX 3.0 8GB GDDR5 GPU! 4K!  http://speccy.piriform.com/results/WKsjd6AqbjssYbyAAjrQiPc  (Updated 06/01/2017)

ASRock Z97 Extreme6, EVGA GTX 1060 FTW + ACX 3.0 6GB GDDR5 GPU! http://speccy.piriform.com/results/tbdS4YKHBvWROeKETAMBRKk  (Updated 04/12/2017))                                                                       

Dell XPS 8700, Revived from the Dead, EVGA GTX 1060 SSC + ACX 3.0 6GB GDDR5 GPU! http://speccy.piriform.com/results/KrNXc5IZ6HmJvrrLVSZbGzi  (Updated 05/17/2017)

ASUS 970 PRO Gaming AURA, with a cool running FX-8350 CPU!  http://speccy.piriform.com/results/GUHywCAGd5NEjBvRp8KWMoW (Updated 05/30/2017)

Dell Dimension 2400 Rebuild, Done the Right Way!  http://speccy.piriform.com/results/HeJBUMjlYTvLlUNejO0shlr (Updated 06/25/2017)    

#9 Al1000

Al1000
  • Topic Starter

• Global Moderator
  • 5,254 posts
  •  

Posted 06 April 2015 - 04:24 AM

The tahr-6.0.2_PAE.iso file is the latest PAE version of Tahr Puppy, so that is what most folk will want to download and burn to CD when following the tutorial in the OP.

Installing Service Pack 2 will update Tahr Puppy 6.0.CE to the latest 6.0.2 version anyway.

The devx_tahr_6.0.2.sfs file is an optional extra, and contains packages that most people probably wouldn't use. devx******.sfs files can be "loaded" to any session, including a live session, or Puppy can be set to load them automatically at boot-up.

To load a devx****.sfs file, right click on the file and select "sfs load."

image-3_zpsjim0agtk.png

I only once recall having to load a devx file, which was when I installed F-Prot to a Puppy that I have on a USB. For the most part though I don't bother with them.

There are other .sfs files for Puppy that can be loaded in the same way. (I think a maximum of 5 or 6 sfs files can be loaded to any session). I have an .sfs file for java for Lucid Puppy on my USB. So if I want to use java during a session, I just load the sfs file. It's a neat way of having and being able to use java, without actually installing it.

So this CD can grow & grow until it no longer fits & I can then copy to DVD and continue, using a 'Copy Disc' function?

You can keep on saving sessions until you run out of space on the CD. I've never done so, but I gather that it would ask you to insert a blank CD at that point. My Tahr Puppy CD now has 5 or 6 saved sessions, mostly due to updating Firefox and installing service packs, and it's nowhere near full.

I would use the Remaster Puppy live-CD utility when the CD starts to fill up. I haven't had to use it yet, but it looks straightforward enough.

image-2_zpszoyur8pi.png

Thanks for sharing, am going to burn the ISO now. :)

Have fun! :)

Edited by Al1000, 06 April 2015 - 04:29 AM.

#10 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,528 posts
  •  

Posted 07 April 2015 - 01:27 AM

Al1000, had to go back & download the correct one, I was thinking the latest to be at the top, and after mistakenly downloading the .sfs file for the real version, downloaded the one right beneath, it was version 6. Rather than wasting CD space to upgrade over 2MiB difference, figured to download the latest & not have so much updating to do. 

I will say, this is where the Down Them All download manager of Firefox comes in handy, on Chrome it's a slow download, using DTA in Firefox, it took only 2 minutes, versus almost 10 for the one last night running Chrome, plus there's the built in MD5 checker. 

One of the cool things about having these Puppy ISO's is having a secure Web browser to perform transactions on when needed, doesn't matter what type of shape the OS on the hard drive is in. Though I do recommend a reboot of both the modem & router for even more security, especially if the user knows for certain they've been running an infected computer. The reboot of the router will eliminate any threats residing in there & restore top performance, like a computer, it has a CPU & memory chip, I reboot mine as a monthly maintenance item. If one has been having issues with their Internet connection, this is the first things that one's ISP will ask to do over the phone. Reboot modem & router. 

Once these things are done, one has a portable computer on CD, though some 64 bit PC's may not boot the OS, to date, only the FatDog64 build of Puppy will boot my main PC, as of yet haven't tried this one to see. Will likely use it on my other Dell PC, which it should perform well on. One should be able to check their router's settings also, even if on a desktop & remote administration has been disabled (recommended), to ensure settings hasn't been tampered with, as long as that desktop's connection is by Ethernet. 

While most of my Puppy experience is FatDog64 based, I'm up to learning a few new tricks & I don't think there's going to be a lot of difference between the 32 & 64 bit versions, once fired up. FatDog64 bit is fast as a cannon because it's a different type of Puppy, designed for a different purpose. Plus Tahr is Ubuntu based, the latest FatDog64 is based on Slackware. There are 32 bit 'Slacko' builds on the Puppy site too, for those who are interested. 

This time, I believe I have the right ISO burned to CD. :)

Though I still saved the other, just to have an untouched CD to boot to. 

Hope to be posting on the forum tonight with my new Puppy Tahr CD, updated & with software added.  :thumbup2:

Cat

ASUS Z97-PRO Gamer PC. EVGA GTX 1070 FTW + ACX 3.0 8GB GDDR5 GPU! 4K!  http://speccy.piriform.com/results/WKsjd6AqbjssYbyAAjrQiPc  (Updated 06/01/2017)

ASRock Z97 Extreme6, EVGA GTX 1060 FTW + ACX 3.0 6GB GDDR5 GPU! http://speccy.piriform.com/results/tbdS4YKHBvWROeKETAMBRKk  (Updated 04/12/2017))                                                                       

Dell XPS 8700, Revived from the Dead, EVGA GTX 1060 SSC + ACX 3.0 6GB GDDR5 GPU! http://speccy.piriform.com/results/KrNXc5IZ6HmJvrrLVSZbGzi  (Updated 05/17/2017)

ASUS 970 PRO Gaming AURA, with a cool running FX-8350 CPU!  http://speccy.piriform.com/results/GUHywCAGd5NEjBvRp8KWMoW (Updated 05/30/2017)

Dell Dimension 2400 Rebuild, Done the Right Way!  http://speccy.piriform.com/results/HeJBUMjlYTvLlUNejO0shlr (Updated 06/25/2017)    

#11 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 4,617 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2015 - 04:00 PM

I think you will like it! I did, and still have it but no time so bother with it.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#12 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 6,528 posts
  •  

Posted 08 April 2015 - 10:49 PM

Haven't had as much time lately (tax filing), yet did get Firefox updated, on the first attempt. That's a beginning. :)

Though I still have much work left to do. Need to inventory what's on there to see what needs to be added, or to go. I don't see the need for both Pale Moon & Firefox, the first needs to go so that I can install Google Chrome & anything else that I want to use. If needed, all of the Office stuff can go also, as I'll never use any of it. 

However, as Al1000 was saying, he's not filled his, so I doubt I'll have any worries over space. 

Cat

#13 maryannsubmarelime

maryannsubmarelime

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 PM

Posted 09 June 2015 - 01:15 PM

okay let me get this straight, download puppy linux because i am an inexperienced windows user (ugh) but there's so many to choose from and i don't want an updated firefox. i like the firefox i have version 18.....and i have 4 gigs of ram so i'm okay there, and a 64 bit windows 7 home version but it's nt. so do i format the drive to ..... fat 32 or ntfs for the puppy linux installation? logical or primary? what size cluster? .... ??

#14 Al1000

Al1000
  • Topic Starter

• Global Moderator
  • 5,254 posts
  •  

Posted 09 June 2015 - 02:55 PM

Tahr Puppy comes with Pale Moon browser already installed.

You will be able to install older versions of Firefox from the Linux software repositories (installing software in Linux is just a matter of clicking on what you want, then it's automatically downloaded and installed) too.

I've responded to your question about installing Puppy in your other thread:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/578895/i-need-help-installing-pcbsdits-the-desktop-version-10111/?p=3730256

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users