Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I Got Owned!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
17 replies to this topic

#16 Flynn2256

Flynn2256
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 PM

Posted 03 February 2015 - 06:02 AM

Perhaps Billy is the white hat she hired to do it.  She called him a computer guy. 

She consulted him to setup her office IT network while it was being renovated hence why I had to work in her apt. 

He must be Chinese because I noticed Chinese characters coming up on WordPad documents on the 2nd computer before I changed the router. 

How much did she pay you? 

Did I tighten down the new router to the correct settings?  Having trouble getting through? 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#17 White Hat Mike

White Hat Mike

• Members
  • 312 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 PM

Posted 03 February 2015 - 10:41 AM

Perhaps Billy is the white hat she hired to do it.  She called him a computer guy. 

She consulted him to setup her office IT network while it was being renovated hence why I had to work in her apt. 

He must be Chinese because I noticed Chinese characters coming up on WordPad documents on the 2nd computer before I changed the router. 

How much did she pay you? 

Did I tighten down the new router to the correct settings?  Having trouble getting through? 

That would make Billy a black hat, not a white hat.

Either way, I'm having a hard time believing your router was infected at all.  It just sounds like, if what you're saying is true, she installed a RAT on your device...  most script kiddies like to use Poison Ivy since it's so easy to use.  The only--if not most likely--way she would be able to access / configure your router settings is from your laptop, utilizing the remote access functionality of the malware, and assuming your router used a default password.

The fact that you claim you saw passwords and other credentials being manipulated in front of you tells me that she had remote access to your device, whether through a RAT or by leveraging RDP (although if you're behind a router this is unlikely, unless it occurred while you're on the same network as her).

Information Security Engineer | Penetration Tester | Forensic Analyst

CipherTechs.com

#18 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:05:11 PM

Posted 03 February 2015 - 10:52 AM

This topic has gone off the rails with arguing and flaming.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forum-rules/

There will be no posts meant to offend or hurt any other member, in a manner which is offensive or inflammatory. This includes flaming or instigating arguments.

When posting you agree that the administrators and the moderators of this forum has the right to modify, delete, edit or close any topic, signature, account, or profile data at any time that they see fit. If you have any questions concerning this, please do not start a new thread, but rather private message to an administrator or moderator.

This topic is closed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users