Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Opening a photo in photo processing creates huge files

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 HmJ28

HmJ28

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 AM

Posted 02 January 2015 - 03:39 PM

A short time ago photos I open in Photoshop cc or Elements 11 open in huge size files.  I realize that these programs open the uncompressed files, which are larger than what shows on my harddrive, but when a 6 MB file opens as 51 MB, that seems excessive. As I work on the photo, the file rapidly become unworkable, using huge amounts of memory.  Can anyone help me with this?  I have been on an Adobe forum and haven't been able to resolve this.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 12,857 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 PM

Posted 02 January 2015 - 06:57 PM

Welcome to Bleeping Computer. Whether what you're describing is unusual depends on a few factors. As you say the size variation can just come down to compression, as well as layers. What are the file formats and when you say "huge" amounts of memory, how much?

A 6MB .JPG could easily be compressed enough to be 51MB in RAM, especially if it has layers. Photoshop if I recall correctly uses default allocations that should allow filesizes over 1 GB to be handled. A more common cause of bogging down or instability is if the image RAM allocation is set very high to handle large images, but then a lot of effects plugins are used. Photoshop allocates a dedicated memory pool for plugins, and setting image memory very large robs this.

Edited by Platypus, 02 January 2015 - 06:58 PM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 HmJ28

HmJ28
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 AM

Posted 02 January 2015 - 07:53 PM

Thank you for your reply.  I have been adding more and more layers to my photo work, and noticed the very large file sizes when everything slowed down.  I'll keep an eye on the size of my files from now on, and perhaps it won't be a problem.

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• 12,857 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 PM

Posted 02 January 2015 - 08:12 PM

Yes, layers can do it. The representation of each layer in memory is the size of the image, but can be stored in the file just as differences.

Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users