Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Freezing

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 teejay7

teejay7

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 AM

Posted 21 June 2006 - 08:14 AM

ok so i posted before about my internet not working, got that taken care of by calling comcast, all i had to do was unplug the modem for a few seconds to reset it, not it seems to work ok, although ive had to do it a few times since....my new problem is this:

the computer i have at home(with the external monitor attached to the laptop, which i posted about before) keeps freezing right after startup. it always seems to coincide with the box for ares popping up asking if i want to choose a nickname now, if i click no, or yes, or try to close the box nothing happens and i cant click anything else(icons, start...etc.) i dont have enough time before it completely starts up to run norton or anything of that sort...it just started doing this within the last few days, worked ok before that...i can take my laptop from work home and use that for the internet, but i dont have the proper admin privledges and it hibernates every 20 or 30 mins, so thats a pain.....

soooooooooo, what can i do to fix the comp. at home?? as always, any help is appreciated...

Edited by teejay7, 21 June 2006 - 08:14 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2006 - 08:41 AM

Hi teejay7.
I don't really have a definitive answer but I would not be letting any P2P apps launch with startup.
If you prevent it from doing so, I assume everything is fine?

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2006 - 09:50 AM

What is "the box for ares"?

Start the computer in safe mode and use msconfig to stop all unnecessary aps from running at startup.

#4 teejay7

teejay7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2006 - 12:12 PM

last night i did what HitSquad suggested and through Spybot S&D i diabled ares and webshots from launching upon startup, seems to be acting fine now...my cable interenet was even connected for 2 whole hours!!!!!!!! woo hoo!! haha, not too happy w/ my lack of service with comcast..."high speed internet"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users