Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless Network Interference

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 bhont

bhont

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 AM

Posted 02 January 2015 - 11:59 AM

I have Verizon Fios 75/75 internet with an Actiontec MI424WR Rev I router. I got this router when I went to the 75/75 speed and I thought it was a dual band wireless n router that would improve the performance. It was an improvement over the old router but still nowhere near 75/75 over wireless (never better than half that on any device).

Lately I have been having more and more problems with poor streaming video quality on the Roku, my cell phone does not load images on websites on the wireless but it will load them over 4G cell network. The performance of my laptop using VPN when trying to work from home is often abysmal. We have probably close to half a dozen devices connected to the wireless.

I downloaded the Verizon In Home Agent to see the signal performance and interference situation. I am on channel 3 right now and there are anywhere from 25-30 other wireless networks in range that are being picked up with most of them on channels 1, 6 and 11. I picked channel 3 because it gave me the best speed, but it is still not great and the performance is not reliable. The Verizon tech support agent said that interference from other wireless networks was probably causing the majority of my issues.

So the router I have is not dual band, which I thought it was. Tech support said the modem will default to the performance required for the slowest device on the network.

Anyway, I was going to get a new router. I was looking at the ASUS RT-N66U, RT-AC68U, or Netgear R7000. I also saw that Verizon has a new Quantum Gateway router that is on sale now for like $100 (or 6.99 per month).

Given that there are so many other wireless networks in range of mine (I live in a very dense apartment complex), will a new router solve the problem? Is there a better router than those I mentioned to deal with interference issues? We dont have cable anymore, so when the streaming doesnt work well it really sucks because we have no other way to watch the television!  I am willing to spend some money to get everything working better. Would a simple true dual band router resolve many of the problems or do I need something with interference resolving capabilities?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 AM

Posted 05 January 2015 - 02:53 PM

Only 1,6 and 11 are non overlapping.  Channel 3 overlaps with 1 and 6 in the 22MHz range.  Odds are you can get a AC router and it being newer than what is around should work fine for you until everyone around you goes to AC.  5GHz uses different channels.

You should also conduct your speed tests when wired.  Wifi always results in less bandwidth due to its packet overhead.  If you find you are not getting 75/75 with a wired connection its time to call your isp and have them do a line and modem check.

#3 bhont

bhont
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 AM

Posted 05 January 2015 - 04:14 PM

The AC router should arrive today. I am on channel 3 right now because channels 1, 6 and 11 are totally filled with at least 6 other routers in range on each of those specific channels. At least with channel 3, even if there is overlap, I have the center of the range for the entire channel to myself right now. My understanding was that the signal was kind of like a bell curve, being strongest on the frequency that corresponds to the channel it is set to and then overlapping the adjacent 2 channels on either side as the signal tailed off.

The wired connection is showing 75/75 always. The wireless connection varies widely from as low as 10/10 to a max of about 30/30 on any one device. The biggest problems are with watching video over the wireless or connected to my work VPN. Because the bandwidth fluctuates so dramatically over even short periods of time the videos arent always fully buffered and the VPN is not reliable.

#4 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:32 AM

Posted 05 January 2015 - 04:33 PM

make sure to get AC usb adapters to take advantage of the AC bandwidth

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_WLAN_channels

if you look at the first 2.4ghz graph you will see channel 3 over laps channel 1 by 50% and overlaps channel 6 by 33%

This is why everyone tries to use the nonoverlapping channels 1, 6 and 11  of course if they are too close to you then it causes contention.

Does sound like the wifi on your present router is having issues considering those posted rates.  Getting a new router is a step in the right direction I think

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users