Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC fails to boot on adding new memory

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 markcomp

markcomp

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 PM

Posted 02 January 2015 - 09:07 AM

I upgraded an old ACER a couple of years ago - basically just used the case and hard drive. Bought 2 x2GBKingston DDR3 Hyper Blu ram KHX1600C9D3B1K2/4GX Looking back I think there were soon issues and it eventually only would run with 1 stick. By accident I realised it was only putting 1.5 v into the ram and upped it to 1.65 in the bios. Not sure it made a lot of difference. Intermittent blue screens etc. Eventually tried some new memory Kingston Hyper Genesis KHX1600C9D3/4G.

Still rather too many blue screens - googled many of the BS codes but never really satisfactory. Eventually bought 1 stick bog standard memory rated 1.5 and ran it at 1.65 volts (tip from one site?)

The PC has never been very good and as it was my wifes I thought enough is enough so added 500 GB HD and moved to win 8 - clean start approach.

Its OK but still not quite right - installation proved tricky as had a power cut in the middle so started again. Bit slow and odd problems still - early on several blue screens then settled down so I thought I try the first memeory again. Would not boot, removed 1 stick, would not boot removed 2 nd stick leaving cheap 4GB in 3rd slot booted then very soon

kmode_exception_not _handled.

I think something is just fundamentally wrong and after two years of googling anything, I am at the end of my "skill set"

Any thoughts?

Win 8

ASUS M4A88T-M 

2 x HD

AMD-Athlon-II-635-X4-AM3

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 PM

Posted 02 January 2015 - 12:16 PM

You might try using default settings in bios...

You should always use the recommended voltage for the ram unless you are overclocking. Often overvolting will cause blue screens. I recommend you run memtest86 to test for ram related issues:

http://www.memtest.org/#downiso any of the versions should work but 5.01 is the newest, you can either burn one of those versions to a disc and boot to the disc or use the USB version and boot to the usb drive, if you go the USB route, backup your data on the usb drive first as it requires a format.

Let memtest run for at least 3 passes and report any red lines of code (errors) here. Also report the exact ram setup: what stick of ram is in what slot and the sizes of each stick in each slot. If there are 1000's of errors, just report the first 2-3 error lines here.

Until you can get memtest to run clean for at least 3 passes you very likely will continue to have blue screens. If you have no errors in memtest let me know.

While you have your computer open the next time, look for blown or bulging capacitors examples: https://www.google.com/search?q=blown+or+bulging+capacitors+motherboard&biw=1261&bih=743&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=JtKmVI3rOJCsyATbyIL4AQ&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ

If there are any blown or leaking caps, let me know and if you have questions: a picture is worth 1000 words, if you have the ability, take a picture and post that here. Your board appears to use solid state caps so this should not be an issue but it is always worth checking as there are different revisions of boards etc.

Also I only recommend pairing ram with other ram that uses the exact same voltage and frequency (mhz). If you blend ram that requires different voltages it can be very tricky to get them to all run together (stable) at the same voltage and frequencies.

Edited by zingo156, 02 January 2015 - 12:42 PM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#3 markcomp

markcomp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2015 - 06:13 PM

sorry to be a bit thick but I saved the memtest usb file to a usb and unzipped it, but nothing happens....

#4 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2015 - 12:49 AM

No problem. What you have to do is download the file, then open the zip file, extract the Memtest86+ USB Installer.exe to your desktop (or wherever you want) and then double click on it. This program will allow you to create a bootable flash drive. As mentioned it requires a format of the flash drive so backup any data you have on that flash drive. After creating the bootable flash drive version of memtest, restart your computer and either go into bios and change the boot order to make USB the first device or tap one of the F1-F12 buttons, I believe with most Acer computers you tap F12 after rebooting and keep doing this until you see a screen with multiple choices, you will chose USB. It should then boot to a blue screen with system specs and start the test.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#5 markcomp

markcomp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2015 - 03:20 AM

Update: got memtest to boot from usb, slot 0 -(the first slot for paired ram) cheap ram no problems. Tried Ram in next slot of paired (on the basis that if it was OK in one slot and there was a problem in another then it could be the board?????), would not boot and red memory light on board came on. Re seated ram, no luck. Next slot (no slot number indicated on memtest like with slot 0). Lots of red lines details as follows :

Tst 7; pass 1; Failing address 0010006b0d8 - 4096.6MB; Good ffffefff; Bad ffffffff; Err-bits 000010000; Count 65; CPU 0.

Next 2 red lines the same except FA 001002ad948 - 4098.8; 0010806b0b8 - 4224.6. After re booting from this slot, windows error BSOD missed the code but win 8 attempted repair but was unsuccessful. Managed to get log deatails - see below:

Last slot PC would not boot and flashing red MB memory light.

Returned ram to first successful slot and pc booted

Startup Repair diagnosis and repair log
---------------------------
Last successful boot time: ‎03/‎01/‎2015 00:29:57 (GMT)
Number of repair attempts: 1
Session details
System Disk = \Device\Harddisk0
Windows directory = G:\WINDOWS
AutoChk Run = 0
Number of root causes = 1
Test Performed: 
Name: Check for updates
Result: Completed successfully. Error code =  0x0
Time taken = 0 ms
Test Performed: 
Name: System disk test
Time taken = 0 ms
Test Performed: 
Name: Disk failure diagnosis
Time taken = 250 ms
Test Performed: 
Name: Disk metadata test
Time taken = 31 ms
Test Performed: 
Name: Target OS test
Time taken = 62 ms
Test Performed: 
Name: Volume content check
Time taken = 125 ms
Test Performed: 
Name: Boot manager diagnosis
Time taken = 0 ms
Test Performed: 
Name: System boot log diagnosis
Time taken = 0 ms
Test Performed: 
Name: Event log diagnosis
Time taken = 47 ms
Test Performed: 
Name: Internal state check
Time taken = 16 ms
Test Performed: 
Name: Boot status test
Time taken = 31 ms
Test Performed: 
Name: Setup state check
Time taken = 188 ms
Test Performed: 
Name: Registry hives test
Time taken = 1328 ms
Test Performed: 
Name: Windows boot log diagnosis
Time taken = 0 ms
Test Performed: 
Name: Bugcheck analysis
Time taken = 265 ms
Root cause found: 
Bugcheck c000021a. Parameters = 0xffffc00028444510, 0xffffffffc0000428, 0x0, 0x1efd8703e8.
Boot critical file  is corrupt.
Repair action: File repair
Result: Failed. Error code =  0x2
Time taken = 3828 ms

#6 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2015 - 06:09 PM

Sounds like a bad board to me. Did you look for any blown capacitors? If the same stick (by itself) passes in slot 0, but fails in all others, most likely this is a bad board.

#7 markcomp

markcomp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2015 - 05:43 AM

Hi, Thanks for all your help. I did look for blown capacitors, but no sign of anything. So I was coming to the same conclusion. I think I will go for a new board. Its all about reliability as it is my wifes PC and although patient she's had enough. Any thoughts ona new MB? The asus board has onboard graphics but this is not essentail, she does do some website work and watches a few bits and pieces - and tends to have far too many windows open:) I'd ;like to use the faster memory and the existing processor so AMD 3. Perhaps a few ideas as we are in Hungary at the moment and not every board is available - oh and cost is a factor....

Thanks again, it was an interesting learning curve. Oh and if you ever visit Budapest - great city, look me up.

#8 markcomp

markcomp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2015 - 06:26 AM

PS If no onboard graphics. thoughts on a graphics card....?

#9 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2015 - 11:05 AM

Asus is generally my recommendation for boards. They seem to fail more rarely than most other brands from what I saw in retail, it doesn't mean they are invincible though. Just keep in mind that it is still possible your cpu or psu or something has an issue. I believe it is the motherboard, that would be my first part swap.

For onboard video vs addin cards: it all depends on what you use it for. If you intend to do gaming then adding a decent card is a good idea, sometimes you need to upgrade the power supply when adding in another card. If you don't do any gaming, just get another board that has onboard video.

AM3+ boards and AM3 boards will both work. I would just check newegg, amazon, tigerdirect, and a few other online retailers for the best deal on a board that has everything you want. Just make sure you get one that fits in your case (the old board is micro ATX) and also supports athlon II. I didn't find all that many on new egg that had 4 slots for ram. This is just one example: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131795&cm_re=micro_atx_am3-_-13-131-795-_-Product

The video chipset is a bit slower on that one than what you had and it only has 2 ram slots which would support up to 8gb of ram.

#10 markcomp

markcomp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2015 - 11:10 AM

Great, Many thanks for all your help, it is very much appreciated.

Best

Mark

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users