Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC switches itself off

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Borobadger

Borobadger

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 AM

Posted 02 January 2015 - 05:54 AM

My PC has recently started switching itself, off, usually when it's under a bit of duress such as when I'm playing a game. It's almost as if I'm pulling the plug out of the back, just straight off rather than going through a shut down procedure. Does anyone know how I would go about fixing this?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Darktune

Darktune

Very Purple

• Members
  • 1,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 AM

Posted 02 January 2015 - 07:19 AM

Hey Borobadger,

This could be that your PSU(Power Supply Unit) doesn't have enough Watt's for your PC's components.

If the components in the PC (GPU, CPU fans etc...) are drawing too much power and the PSU is unable to handle it, it will cut out.

Are you aware of the PSU you have?

It's very hard to imagine all the crazy things that things really are like. 

Electrons act like waves.. no they don't exactly, they act like particles.. no they don't exactly.

Words and ideas can change the world.

#3 Borobadger

Borobadger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2015 - 07:55 AM

I'm not sure, is there any way I can check?

#4 Aerys

Aerys

• Members
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 AM

Posted 02 January 2015 - 10:03 AM

Did you buy this computer in a store or build it yourself? You can use Speccy and publish a screenshot here by using this guide.

He said the same thing he had been saying for hours... "burn them all".

-Jaime Lannister

Feel free to add me on Skype for help or to chat; lolballinn

#5 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 PM

Posted 02 January 2015 - 12:55 PM

Heat may also cause shutdowns, it might be worth dusting out your computer. You can use canned air or an air compressor, if you use an air compressor, use no more than 40psi and use short bursts of air, over speeding a fan can destroy the fan.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#6 Borobadger

Borobadger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2015 - 02:12 PM

These are the temperatures of my PC, I'm not sure if they are abnormally hot or not. http://gyazo.com/5781a774a0d1bf924b904a2e84254486

My uncle built the PC, so it's not store bought

Edited by Borobadger, 02 January 2015 - 02:12 PM.

#7 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2015 - 02:14 PM

The cpu is pretty warm at 61c, gaming might put this higher, an overheating cpu will cause shutdowns, as posted before, please download and run speccy:

• Go to Piriform's website, and click the big download.png button.
  • Next, click Download from Piriform.com (the FileHippo link requires an extra click). Or if you want to use a portable version of Speccy (which doesn't require installation), click the builds page link and download the portable version.
  • You will now be asked where you want to save the file. The best place to put it is the Desktop, as it will be easy to find later.
  • After the file finishes downloading, you are ready to run Speccy. If you downloaded the installer, simply double-click on it and follow the prompts until installation is complete. If you downloaded the portable version, you will need to unzip it before use. Right-click the ZIP file and click Extract all. Click Next. Open up the extracted folder and double-click on Speccy.
  • Once inside Speccy, it will look similar to this (with your computer's specifications, of course):
    p22004369.gif
  • Now, at the top, click File > Publish Snapshot
  • You will see the following prompt:
    p22004371.gif
  • Click Yes > then Copy to Clipboard
    p22004372.gif
  • Now, once you are back in the forum topic you are posting in, click the p22004370.gif button. Right-click in the empty space of the Reply box and click Paste. Then, click Add Reply below the Reply box.
  • Congrats! You have just posted your specs!

Edited by zingo156, 02 January 2015 - 02:15 PM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#8 Borobadger

Borobadger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2015 - 02:42 PM

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/cLdPO4Xp5qhhxdeW7d1fNz2

Here they are

#9 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2015 - 02:57 PM

The max temp for your cpu is 62C, if 61C was accurate from your post before, your cpu is likely the cause of your shut downs. I suggest you open your computer case and dust out your heat-sync's and then see if your shut downs during games go away. Speccy did not report the cpu temp. You might also try HWmonitor: http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/K10/AMD-Phenom%20II%20X6%201090T%20Black%20Edition%20-%20HDT90ZFBK6DGR%20%28HDT90ZFBGRBOX%29.html

Maximum operating temperature  ? 55°C - 62°C

Edited by zingo156, 02 January 2015 - 02:58 PM.

#10 Borobadger

Borobadger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2015 - 04:49 PM

Is there anything else it could be? I opened up the PC and all 4 of my fans are spinning and it is relatively dust free, yet is still switching off every time the PC does anything more than just browsing the web

#11 azucho98

azucho98

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2015 - 04:58 PM

Is there anything else it could be? I opened up the PC and all 4 of my fans are spinning and it is relatively dust free, yet is still switching off every time the PC does anything more than just browsing the web

make sure the CPU heat sink clip didn't break on one side.  I had a desktop once that had a metal heat sink clip, but it grabbed on to plastic prongs.  One plastic prong broke which led to CPU overheating.

Do you have an event log in your BIOS?  Perhaps that will give you the reason for shutdown.

The other thing it could be is the power supply - if you feel up to it, remove the PS, open the cover and look for bulging electrolytic capacitors.  How old is the computer?

Edited by azucho98, 03 January 2015 - 05:00 PM.

#12 Borobadger

Borobadger
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2015 - 05:14 PM

It's only 4 years old. I've had this same problem before but I put 2 extra fans on it and it sorted the problem out

#13 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2015 - 06:06 PM

Definitely verify your temperatures running HWmonitor as posted above. If heat is the issue, you may have a broken heat sync or a bad thermal connection. Make sure the computer is not in an enclosed area such as a cabinet etc.

It very well may be a psu issue. HWmonitor might indicate an issue there as well since it monitors voltages. What you will be looking at is the 3.3v, 5v, and 12v, voltages. They should stay within 5% of the stated voltage. HWmonitor will show the low, average, and max voltages and temperatures. Take a screen shot of HWmonitor running and post that here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users