Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

strange problem with my ps2 keyboard

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_nickko_*

Guest_nickko_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 02 January 2015 - 04:49 AM

good morning and very happy new year to all

please, i have a strange problem with my genius ps2 keyboard

every time i rebooted my pc or after some setting changes in the bios the keyboard is not working

when i unplug the keyboard and plug it gain everything is ok

the keyboard is just two years old and i think my problem might be either a corrupted bios or some windows corrupted files

no virus, no malware or any other suspicious software on my pc

many thanks in advance

happy new year to all

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,743 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2015 - 01:41 PM

If you have a spare keyboard, try that first.  It does sound like the keyboard is not geting reset properly on power down, OR this may be one of those with a hot key on it to turn things on and the BIOS isn't resetting it properly.  If so, disable the hot key function and see what that results.

#3 Guest_nickko_*

Guest_nickko_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 03 January 2015 - 02:45 AM

thanks for your reply dear mjd420nova

i have plucked a new keyboard and is working fine

negative

no any hot button is activated through bios

i will try to clean my keyboard with an air pressure machine i have hoping  for the best

thanks

#4 Guest_nickko_*

Guest_nickko_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 08 January 2015 - 01:22 PM

hi to all,

sorry for my return again but unfortunately i still have problem with my keyboard

the keyboard is still not working after bios settings !

i have all ready clean the keyboard with air pressure but nothing done

the strange thing is the keyboard is working absolutely fine after reboot but is not working after any bios settings (including bios defaults)

certainly i can buy a new and better keyboard than this (genius ps2 kbr) but i have to know what is going on...

thanks

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 AM

Posted 08 January 2015 - 05:34 PM

Try a new CMOS battery. After replacing it reset your BIOS to default. Only replace the CMOS battery if your new keyboard also has the problem. If your new keyboard is working fine then you do not need to replace the CMOS battery.

Edited by JohnC_21, 08 January 2015 - 05:36 PM.

#6 Guest_nickko_*

Guest_nickko_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 11 January 2015 - 04:35 AM

good morning dear JohnC_21

i thank thank you for your reply

as far i remember my cmos battery is almost two years old so i think is still have life

i have all ready cleared my bios 

the strange thing about my keyboard is not working after bios setting changes !

i haven't noticed any errors while the pc is rebooted

the only think i have to check is to remove the battery from the motherboard for an hour and hoping for the best

thanks again

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,286 posts
  •  

Posted 11 January 2015 - 08:36 AM

For the price of a CMOS battery if it's the standard CR2032 I would give it a try.

#8 Guest_nickko_*

Guest_nickko_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 12 January 2015 - 10:38 AM

good afternoon dear JohnC_21

thanks for your kind reply

the price of a cmos battery is just euros 1.75 but i still do not think that my problem is the battery...

the pc clock is not yet loosing time

i will try to remove the cmos battery for an hour or longer and i will check again

the strange here is the keyboard is working absolutely fine and only when i enter bios and make some different settings the keyboard is not working

i will try to remove the cmos battery for an hour or longer and i will check again since i believe now that my problem have to do with bios 

thanks

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,286 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2015 - 12:45 PM

If removing the CMOS battery does not work you may want to purchase a USB keyboard but you would need to determine if it's worth the extra cost vs unplugging and reattaching the PS2 keyboard.

If you go to the System Log in Event Viewer it may give a clue if it lists any errors related to the keyboard.

If you right click the keyboard in Device Manager, does it show any problem.  There may be a problem with the keyboard driver or some other system file not functioning. Have you tried using sfc /scannow at an elevated command prompt to correct any system file errors?

Edited by JohnC_21, 12 January 2015 - 12:45 PM.

#10 Guest_nickko_*

Guest_nickko_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 15 January 2015 - 10:55 AM

good afternoon dear  JohnC_21

thanks for your kind reply

it seems that after i have removed the cmos battery for half a day the ps2 keyboard is working fine...

it is still working after any new bios settings....

although i suspect a corrupted bios but nothing sure

ok, let's close this thread and if i still problems i will post a new question

thanks very much

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 AM

Posted 15 January 2015 - 11:03 AM

Glad it worked out for you. Thanks for the update. I am not sure but if you have a jumper on the motherboard that would clear the BIOS so you would not need to remove the battery for that length of time. I think holdiing down the power button with the CMOS battery and power cord removed would also cut down the time in case you ran into this keyboard problem again.

#12 Guest_nickko_*

Guest_nickko_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 16 January 2015 - 02:15 PM

good evening dear JohnC_21

i thank you once again for your kind reply....

it seems that i still have problem 

i have tried another ps2 keyboard and is not working again after any bios setting changes !

yes, i have placed the jumper to the correct setting

i do not think that the motherboard's ps2 port have any problem since the keyboard is working

the only think i will try next is to update my bios to a newer version 

i think that my problem have to do with the bios, possibly a partial corrupted bios ?

i thank you for your kind help

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,286 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2015 - 05:26 PM

Updating the BIOS may help. Just be aware that a bad BIOS flash can brick the computer. If you update the BIOS within windows disable any antivirus software and put the program on the root of C:\. Some motherboards like ASUS let you flash through the BIOS which is the safest way.

#14 Guest_nickko_*

Guest_nickko_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 19 January 2015 - 10:33 AM

good afternoon dear  JohnC_21

i thank you for your reply and sorry for the delay in reply back

my bios version is the latest so it does not help if i update

the ps2 keyboard is still working but again if i change any settings in the bios then the keyboard is not working !

strange.. i will try to find another keyboard to try or better to go out and buy a new one, a cheap one just to see what is going on

thanks again for your kind help and support

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 AM

Posted 19 January 2015 - 06:34 PM

Try a cheap USB keyboard and see if that solves the problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users