Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cant turn sound on,access denied?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 blueballs

blueballs

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 AM

Posted 01 January 2015 - 11:19 PM

I have a HP P6-2203a desk top computer win 7 home 64 bit.I was fooling around trying to turn off unnecessary start-ups and it appears that all Ive done is a stuff-up! On the bottom right of my screen there is a speaker with a cross,I tried to turn it on there but the troubleshooter couldn't do it and it seems that the computer isn't recognizing my USB DAC? I tried to turn on windows audio through the task-manager but I just got access denied? Youtube videos start and run for 2 seconds then I get an error on the screen.I ran windows essentials but it didn't find anything wrong,like a virus? I cant find any way to get access as an administrator? Ive restarted a few times but no luck there either? Ive done a Google but couldn't find anything to help me .Does anyone here know how to do this? 

Edited by blueballs, 01 January 2015 - 11:23 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,287 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 PM

Posted 02 January 2015 - 11:40 AM

Exactly...what did you do...to turn off these startups?

Louis

#3 Miguel_92

Miguel_92

• Members
  • 194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 AM

Posted 02 January 2015 - 06:33 PM

I was going to ask if you had used msconfig to turn off the start up items in question. Because i did that a long time ago when i had zero clue about computers and i messed it up big time.

#4 blueballs

blueballs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2015 - 02:02 AM

I was going to ask if you had used msconfig to turn off the start up items in question. Because i did that a long time ago when i had zero clue about computers and i messed it up big time.

I think that's what I did do,now you've mentioned it?  I used system restore and now everything is hunky dory! The thing is I'm still not getting instant email alerts? Ive asked about this lots of times here but nothing ever seems to get done about it? Ive configured it for instant alerts but whats happened to them,I should have got 2?

#5 Miguel_92

Miguel_92

• Members
  • 194 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 AM

Posted 03 January 2015 - 02:17 PM

What email service do you use?

#6 blueballs

blueballs
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2015 - 01:30 AM

What email service do you use?

Thunderbird? Why do you ask? I get email alerts from other sites,no worries at all!

Edited by blueballs, 04 January 2015 - 01:31 AM.

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,758 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 PM

Posted 04 January 2015 - 08:45 AM

MSConfig (System Configuration Utility) is a troubleshooting utility used to diagnose and fix system configuration issues. In the Summary section Microsoft says "The System Configuration utility helps you find problems with your Windows configuration. It does not manage the programs that run when Windows starts."

Although it works as a basic startup manager, msconfig should not be used routinely to disable auto-start programs. It is a temporary solution and not a good practice for the following reasons:
  • When uninstalling programs while disabled with msconfig, they may not be uninstalled properly and manually editing the registry will be required to remove everything.
  • Msconfig will often leave orphaned entries when software is uninstalled. When used to switch back to normal startup mode, these orphan entries can result in boot up errors.
  • Msconfig only allows you to disable entries. To completely remove an entry from its' list you have to edit the registry, or use a third-party tool like Msconfig Cleanup Utility or a startup manager.
  • Msconfig allows malware related items to hide in your registry which you may not see or affect your computer until switched back to normal startup mode. This could then result in reinfection of the computer.
  • Msconfig does not list all applications loaded in all possible startup locations (some entry points are hidden and unknown to the user).
A better alternative for disabling unnecessary startups is to use a free Startup Manager like one of the following:If you use CCleaner, it has a built-in Startup Manager under Tools > Startup. Revo Uninstaller Free includes a Startup Manager under Tools.

Most of these tools are stand-alone portable apps in a zip file so no installation is necessary. They will provide a list of programs that load when Windows starts. If you untick an entry it will no longer run at startup. This will allow you to experiment and see how your system performs with any of them disabled and easily re-enable them again. Some startup programs are necessary so be careful what you disable.

You should not use msconfig to disable startup applications related to services. Doing so alters the registry and there are services that are essential for hardware and booting your system. When you uncheck a service in msconfig, you completely disable it. If you uncheck the wrong one, you may not be able to restart your computer. Changing the default settings for services can be risky and might prevent key services from running correctly. Only change the status of a service if it is necessary. You should only disable services using the Services Management Console (services.msc) where you cannot disable services that may be vital to boot your system.

The reason is because with msconfig and Hardware Profiles, you can disable services that may be vital to boot your system. With the management console (services.msc) you cannot. Also, msconfig, while unchecking the box, is disabling the service.

Windows 7 Why can't I use msconfig to change my services?

Black Viper's warning: Why can't I use msconfig to change my services in Windows?
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users