Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Excessively Laggy(Hardware issue)

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Zacoru

Zacoru

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 AM

Posted 01 January 2015 - 07:30 PM

I'm 99% positive I don't have a virus.

I've been having problems ever since I switched my old cpu and motherboard with another set.

My last build was:

G.Skill Sniper series 8GB(2x4)(RAM)

AMD Athon X4 760k (CPU)

ASUS A88XM-A (MotherBoard)

Nvidia Geforce 750(GPU)

I had no problems leading up to the switch, I just needed a faster rig.

I switched out the CPU for an Intel i7 4790k "Devil's Canyon", and the motherboard out for an ASUS Sabertooth Z97 Mark 1.

At first, it booted up fine and I had no issues. Since then, the computer has started to degrade. Yesterday I noticed I needed a new windows Product Key. I was able to get a new one through windows support this morning without any issues. Surprisingly, I began to see freezes. At first it was just Windows Explorer, and it would crash upon saving and loading files. Now I literally have to wait every 30 seconds for my computer. It works fine until I click or type something on the keyboard. I have tried to do diagnostics for My SSD(Which holds Windows 7), my HDD(Personal Files), and RAM. All which came up clean. Every program needs excessive start up time, and will wait 2 or 3 minutes to start. Once up and running however, I've noticed some programs run completely lag-free for a good while. For example, I can Open 'FL Studio', it will take 2 - 3 minutes to open,  but will run completely smooth past that, including opening and saving files. now I was sure this was a RAM issue. I made complete sure that the RAM was in the optimal position on the motherboard, and that it was secured, which all came up clean. Sometimes upon booting, it fails to recognize that windows is on the SSD, and sometimes, it just fails to boot. If anyone has any insight to my issue, or has any questions regarding missing content to the problem, please tell me!

Edited by hamluis, 02 January 2015 - 11:34 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,811 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 PM

Posted 02 January 2015 - 11:46 AM

Did you reinstall the operating system or use the sysprep /generalize /oobe /shutdown command in the Elevated Command Prompt?

If you didn't this could be what is causing this problem.  If this is the case you will need to reinstall the operating system.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 PM

Posted 02 January 2015 - 11:59 AM

dc3 is correct. Using the sysprep command (on the old pc prior to using the os in the new computer) should help prevent driver issues with new hardware upgrades.

I generally recommended a clean install when upgrading to new hardware. There can be issues with conflicting drivers/software from the previous build...

Make sure that you have installed the appropriate ahci/raid drivers for your new motherboard, you might even have to reconfigure trim for your ssd.

http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/39569-trim-support-ssd-check-enable-disable.html

Note: You should only enable trim after installing the correct ahci/raid drivers for your specific motherboard, I recommend you get the newest driver directly from asus's website.

From your symptoms, it would likely be an ssd related issue not ram. A program first loads from the ssd to the ram, after a software is loaded it might be smooth because it is running from ram and no longer is pulling information from the ssd. Why your saves are working fine is a mystery. Are you saving files to a different drive?

What is the make and model of your SSD?

Edited by zingo156, 02 January 2015 - 12:26 PM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#4 Zacoru

Zacoru
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2015 - 06:24 PM

Zingo 156:

My SSD is http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820721107

dc3

I did not use sysprep, I was unaware that something like that even existed. But I just literally yesterday got a new key from microsoft for my version of Windows 7 Professional. Do you think that it is either the direct cause, or would at least help to perform a clean install? Or do you think I could just 'repair' it using the cd?

Edited by Zacoru, 02 January 2015 - 06:28 PM.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,811 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2015 - 07:05 PM

Yes, a clean installation would be called for in this situation.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 Zacoru

Zacoru
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2015 - 07:13 PM

How would I go about this? Backup my SSD, Format it, then install windows?

#7 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,345 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:08 PM

Posted 03 January 2015 - 12:43 AM

How would I go about this? Backup my SSD, Format it, then install windows?

This exactly. You will have to reinstall software if you go the reload method.

You might at least try installing all of the correct drivers for your new motherboard if you have not already make sure you get the AHCI driver as this is the one that is used for storage devices. I would recommend you backup data first just in case you get a blue screen on reboot after installing that driver. Having data backed up is always recommended.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,811 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2015 - 10:34 AM

Your new motherboard came with a CD which contains the drivers needed for it.  Your Graphics card should have come with a CD with the drivers for it as well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users