Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

OK to just use paid MalwardBytes?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 balderdash

balderdash

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 AM

Posted 01 January 2015 - 05:12 PM

Got McAfee antivirus for free with AT&T internet, but that was sold to frontier.  My antivirus ran until the end of last year, right now since midnight no antivirus.

Have the free version of MalwareBytes, but notice there is a paid version.  Is it advisable to just upgrade to the paid version of MalwareBytes and consider myself protected?  Or is MalwareBytes designed as an auxiliary antivirus program, designed to be used with an existing AV program, not one to be used alone?

Edited by balderdash, 01 January 2015 - 05:13 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 AM

Posted 01 January 2015 - 05:36 PM

As you said, MBAM Premium is an anti-malware solution - designed to run along with your AV.

So you will still need an AV product.

#3 balderdash

balderdash
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2015 - 05:40 PM

Much thanks.

#4 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 PM

Posted 01 January 2015 - 05:40 PM

Hello balderdash

The last part of your question is your answer. Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is an addition to your Antivirus, and not a full solution.

Be sure that you have fully uninstalled any McAfee traces prior to installing your next program. Ask for a link to the tool if you do not know what to do.

Below is just a few of the free Antivirus programs listed on this site that you may wish to use while you make a final decision on what to install.

Note that most Antivirus programs offer a Free version or Trial version while you assess their product.

Free Antivirus programs: (choose and install only one).
* avast! Free Antivirus <- includes Google Chrom pre-checked by default during installation but gives you the option to uncheck
* Microsoft Security Essentials <- includes the option to join the customer experience improvement program
* Bitdefender Antivirus Free Edition
* Avira Free Antivirus <- includes option to install Avira Browser Safety Add-on to your browser
* AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition <- includes AVG Security Toolbar - AVG Secure Search pre-checked by default during installation but gives you the option to uncheck

You should also read Answers to Common Security Questions listed in this area.

If you run Windows 8 or 8.1 it will have a version of Microsoft Security Essentials installed already (called Defender). This program will "Stand Aside" if you install any 3rd party Antivirus program, Free or Paid.

Thank You .

#5 balderdash

balderdash
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2015 - 06:22 PM

Thank you very much.  I should have stated I have an old computer, Dell Optiplex 170, P4, 2.8 GHz with Windows XP SP3.  Over the years I have noticed that as I have used Norton and McAfee, (not together), that they have missed things and the free version of MBAM gets them on a scan.  I was just wondering what an antivirus brings to the table that MBAM does not.  Are there whole categories of issues that MBAM does not go after, or something?

Also, I was thinking since MBAM seems to be a good product, if going the free antivirus route, coupled with the paid, real time Malwarebytes, is not a good way to go.  Thank you for your list of free antiviruses, but you seem to say this should be a temporary, not permanent, solution.

#6 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 AM

Posted 01 January 2015 - 06:41 PM

MBAM focuses on specific types of malware - it doesn't detect the traditional threats that an AV offers.

Also, I was thinking since MBAM seems to be a good product, if going the free antivirus route, coupled with the paid, real time Malwarebytes, is not a good way to go.  Thank you for your list of free antiviruses, but you seem to say this should be a temporary, not permanent, solution.

Not really - a lot of people here use MBAM along with free AVs.

#7 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 01 January 2015 - 06:53 PM

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is not meant to be a replacement for antivirus software. Malwarebytes Anti-Malware is a complementary but essential program which detects and removes zero-day malware and "Malware in the Wild".

This includes malicious programs and files, such as virus droppers, worms, trojans, rootkits, dialers, spyware, and rogue applications that many antivirus programs do not detect or cannot fully remove. That being said, there are many infections that Malwarebytes Anti-Malware does not detect or remove which any antivirus software will, such as file infectors.

https://helpdesk.malwarebytes.org/hc/en-us/articles/201861736-Does-Malwarebytes-Anti-Malware-replace-antivirus-software-

#8 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 PM

Posted 01 January 2015 - 07:59 PM

The only thing mentioned in my reply was that we have a "range of popular" listings included.

Many of the members here are more than happy with a free version of any of the above listed programs, these were just an example put to you..

Personally, I have never paid for any Antivirus program, but I am often looked at as not following through with what I preach.

But I have used "Sample" or "Trial" versions of many programs, and I am happy using my free Microsoft program, regardless of perceived "rankings" on any site.

We always prefer to know what you want, and what you expect in performance or support in your selected Antivirus program, not what we tell you to do. Opinions towards Active Malwarebytes program are always good, and it will combine with almost all currently known Antivirus programs to fill that missing gap.

Read our Malware Removal Forum and you will see that all topics are usually asked to run Malwarebytes, or produce the last log from the program for review. Simply because it works.

Here is a link to all Malwarebytes Anti-Malware General questions, and it covers the link by Queen-Evie and other topics.

Always post to the program forums if you have problems with your selected program, or post here for general information -

Thank You .

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 AM

Posted 01 January 2015 - 09:52 PM

...I have an old computer, Dell Optiplex 170, P4, 2.8 GHz with Windows XP SP3...

Forced to use Windows XP past April? 10 ways to make the best of a bad situation

...those XP users left out there are wondering what they can possibly do to mitigate their risks as much as possible. The best course of action without a doubt is moving to Windows 8.1 or Windows 7, but if you can't or won't make such a bold move, then here's the best of what's left on your plate of options.

#1: Ditch the Free AV - Get a Paid Solution

These Anti-Virus Software Products Will Continue to Protect XP after the End of Support

...The best news where this issue is concerned comes from the manufacturers of security software: with security suites continuing to provide updates for their software on XP systems after 8th April for at least one year or even longer depending on the manufacturer in question. Some companies have even promised to keep providing updates for two years and others have yet to plan any deadline whatsoever for the end of support. At the end of this article, you will find a list of all of the statements made by manufacturers of security software with regard to this matter that we have compiled for your information...

Webroot SecureAnywhere will support XP until 2019...it has Identity Shield & Web Shield to protect online banking, shopping and block bad web sites so it is a good choice.

Also see my comments in Supplementing your Anti-Virus Program with Anti-Malware Tools as to why I recommend Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Pro and Emsisoft Anti-Malware.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,139 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 AM

Posted 01 January 2015 - 10:05 PM

I was just wondering what an antivirus brings to the table that MBAM does not.  Are there whole categories of issues that MBAM does not go after, or something?

In simplistic terms, Anti-virus programs generally scan for infectious malware which includes viruses, worms, Trojans, rootkis and bots.
Anti-malware programs generally tend to focus more on adware, spyware, unwanted toolbars, browser hijackers, potentially unwanted programs and potentially unsafe applications.

An anti-virus program alone does not provide comprehensive protection and cannot prevent, detect and remove all threats at any given time. Anti-virus and anti-malware programs each perform different tasks as it relates to computer security and threat detection. Essentially, they look for and remove different types of malicious threats. However, there can be some overlap in functionality and detection features depending on the program's scanning engine, how the vendor defines a specific threat and what Naming Standards are used. Anti-virus software is inherently reactive...meaning it usually finds malware after a computer has been infected. The security community is in a constant state of change as new infections appear and it takes time for them to be reported, samples collected, analyzed, and tested by anti-virus researchers before they can add a new threat to database definitions. Further, if you're dealing with zero-day malware it's unlikely the anti-virus is going to detect anything.

Therefore, you need both an anti-virus and an anti-malware solution for maximum protection.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users