Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

RANDOM OS'es

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Zach6656

Zach6656

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 PM

Posted 01 January 2015 - 04:54 PM

Anybody know some pointless OS'es to use... i know a good one ANDROID X86

its actually nice to use as a media player

always use DD-WRT for all your routers, if you cant get it for them, throw them away

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 10,608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 AM

Posted 01 January 2015 - 11:58 PM

Anybody know some pointless OS'es to use..

Windows Any version.

#3 Zach6656

Zach6656
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2015 - 09:12 AM

:P yea... i got XP darklite last night (we have an infected windows vista PC and DL has a vista skin)

always use DD-WRT for all your routers, if you cant get it for them, throw them away

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• 11,387 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 AM

Posted 02 January 2015 - 10:20 AM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ReactOS

Top 5 things that never get done:

#5 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 03 January 2015 - 06:34 PM

CBlJCPt.png

#6 Zach6656

Zach6656
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2015 - 09:55 PM

i would cose darwin but im not much of a DOS/Darwin kind of person as i see kind of pointless (but then again what was this thread about) by pointless i mean it has no GUI and the commands arent very well known to me... i would only use a non-GUI based OS if it had a purpose for example PFsense makes a PC into a router... however it has no GUI base to it (it has a web interface though)

#7 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 11 January 2015 - 05:41 PM

I've never done it, but using Fink one can install KDE on Darwin.

#8 Zach6656

Zach6656
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 12 January 2015 - 09:20 PM

looking into that now ;)

#9 xulaokeri

xulaokeri

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2015 - 08:19 PM

same to me, looking into that now. thank you7.gif

Edited by xulaokeri, 11 July 2015 - 08:21 PM.

#10 Karzahni

Karzahni

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2015 - 06:45 AM

Although it does have a purpose, Windows Server Technical Preview 2, a.k.a. MS-DOS rebooted. Even with the so-called GUI, (local admin tools) installed, it's still not a proper GUI.

Also, try using PCLinuxOS on old hardware. That is GUI but trust me, you'll end up using the command line. It's obscure, and has a lack of basic components which must be installed.

That's just off the top of my head. Checking my ISO folder now...

Try these:

MS-DOS 8.0 (can't do anything)

Windows 98 Release Candidate (very difficult to install)

Windows Millennium Beta 3 (if 98 RC was glitchy to install, Me beta can only be worse!)

Debian Hamm (Ancient Linux distro)

Windows Memphis (same story as 98 RC

All of these require command line at some point. The old Windows betas must be installed in DOS for example.

Yes, I guess I have a folder of rot. If anyone wants a terrible OS ISO then just ask me! Some won't install, some don't do anything useful, some are incomplete, some are too old to be useful and some are just terrible.

Edited by Karzahni, 12 July 2015 - 06:47 AM.

exe_zpsv0pycpmd.jpg

#11 PuReinSAniTY

PuReinSAniTY

• Members
  • 432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 AM

Posted 18 July 2015 - 12:28 AM

(nickAu's favorite windows version) windows 12 crap edition by spoof os

they call me te java mayster

#12 MajesticFailure

MajesticFailure

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 AM

Posted 16 May 2016 - 07:12 PM

It's kinda bttersweet running Amiga OS on an emulator. I think you can do it yourself by getting the Kicstarter file, and a file containing the Amiga OS, and loading them both with the WinUAE emulator, but l think it's illegal to own the Kickstarter ROM files, as they're still under copyright. I've never done it myself. I use Cloanto AmigaForever, it's absolutely great. I was quite upset when Mike the creator changed everything with his newer versions, making it look like the cross between the monolith off 2001, and Windows Media Player, but l now see how it is actually more functional - l mean, you can save settings, such that you don't need to set things up anew each time, you can just click on a saved setup, and away you go.

What l did was transfer my old Amiga music discs to PC files (files that can be loaded onto a PC) (l had to visit a shop where a guy had a fairly modern Amiga desktop computer, with a 3.5" floppy drive). Then, l loaded them into AmigaForever, alongside the Amiga Workbench OS version that they were designed for (you get the whole array of Workbench versions), and then pressed start. You hear the disk drive sounds faithfully reproduced while it loads, lol. You can play a good few Amiga games that are bundled with the package too. You also get classic Amiga demos e.g. Five Fingers and Spaceballs. I can't recall if J. on Es is included too, probably is.

I have actually surfed the net on one of the more modern Workbench / Amiga OS versions included (can't remember if it was Workbench or AmigaOS). It's kind of a bumpy ride. Dunno if you can call it security through obscurity, because hacking is all done through browser exploits these days isn't it, but then again, the browser hardly has anything to exploit.

There's a family of modern Atari OSes too, called MiNT and variants. I think AmigaOS has forked into a few different OSes too, including one Debian / Amiga hybrid?

There are also lots of OSes written in C++ etc. Never could get any of them to install (tried Kolibris and a few ohers). Haiku looks promising, l think it descends from BeOS, which in turn descends from AmigaOS.

As for truly horrible OSes, l'd say avoid OpenIndiana (descended from Solaris) and PC-BSD. OpenIndiana because it was almost good, it had that polished Gnome look. But it wouldn't let you browse your own drive's partitions, so you're locked in, and l've no idea how to upgrade Java or Flash, and l don't think l ever managed to access a software repository either. So, avoid because although it's far more capable than the other OSes l've just mentioned, at least you know those OSes are limited, whereas with OpenIndiana you're wasting your time thinking you're getting a real desktop OS. As for PC-BSD, same again, on older PCs it won't run, even if it manages to install (you can get quite far into installation, even successfully installing it, before it just hangs on you, and btw you need to know the drive partioning nomenclature that BSDs use) you then realise it's all been a waste of time because the graphics driver support is limited so forget about older PCs unless you want to upgrade your card. I mean, during setup, the graphics looked cool, but if you ever mange to log into your installed desktop on an older PC, you then realise you got no graphics support (so how did the graphics look alright during installation, e.g. all those splash screens?). Waste of time. Mind you, GhostBSD was nice and polished, but l realised that too was a load of rubbish because sure BSD is probably more secure than Linux per se, but it seems to me that these days it's all about browser exploits, so, you end up with Firefox all the same, and the BSD user experience, even with Gnome, is poor unless you're a computer boffin.

There's also a Linux distro called Slitaz, said to be for old low-end PCs. My 500Mb RAM 1.2GHz Celeron Fujitsu-Siemens laptop only managed to install it once, and even then it was unstable, whereas Windows XP Home was fine on that laptop. Total waste of time. Linux aint half as good for old PCs as it makes out :-S

#13 BrianVS

BrianVS

• Validating
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 AM

Posted 08 September 2016 - 04:26 PM

Run Microsoft Fortran-80/Link-80 for CP/m under a DOS emulator running in DOSBOX under Win7 and above...

#14 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,094 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 PM

Posted 14 October 2016 - 12:15 PM

If you want a laugh, have a look at this:-

http://www.windows93.net/

Kinda reminds ya of where Windows got its crap reputation from! You can interact with this thing; it's a (sort of) VM; it's hilarious, I know that!

And ever heard of Ubuntu (Satanic Edition)?  :hysterical:

Mike.  :P

If the information given has helped you, please remember to say 'Thanks!'

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario desktop; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, Seagate 'Expansion' 1 TB  USB 3.0 drive, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Belkin PCI USB 2.0 4-port card, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz P4, 1.5 GB DDR1, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 2 x 128GB SanDisk Cruzer 'Fit' USB 'external' storage.

XQxSFqE.gif

#15 inkoalawetrust

inkoalawetrust

• Members
  • 310 posts
  •  

Posted 01 December 2016 - 01:08 PM

Anybody know some pointless OS'es to use..

Windows Any version.

Still angry that microsoft has all the home computer market share no linux distro will ever have ?

Edited by inkoalawetrust, 01 December 2016 - 01:09 PM.

Twitter

Discord:inkoalawetrust#9783

Website

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users