Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Clonezilla live

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,008 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 PM

Posted 01 January 2015 - 04:22 PM

I need to get an Image of my Mint install, but I don't know which Clonezilla live to download: i386 or i686 for my Centrino Duo processor, I am guessing i386?  And,I do need the Live version right?

http://clonezilla.org/downloads/download.php?branch=stable

I will be using the iso for a DVD-RW and saving Image to a usb, forgive me if I have left something out.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2015 - 04:27 PM

I would think a i686 for a 64 bit CPU, should be able to backup & restore either 32 or 64 bit OS's. 

Though if you plan on running only 32 bit ones, then i386 should do. I actually need to learn to use Clonezilla myself, it's said to be a great bare metal recovery for most any OS. 

EDIT: According to this, the i386 only supports single core processors, you have a 64 bit dual core, so amd64 is the one you need. You have an Intel 64 processor, amd64 covers both AMD & Intel 64 bit CPU's. 

http://clonezilla.org/downloads/download.php?branch=alternative

Cat

Edited by cat1092, 01 January 2015 - 04:34 PM.

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#3 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,008 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2015 - 04:39 PM

I see, I just looked it up in "Sysinfo", GCC Version: 4.8 (i686-linux-gnu) thanks cat!

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#4 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 01 January 2015 - 04:48 PM

I do not see those options listed on the page ( http://clonezilla.org/downloads/download.php?branch=stable ). I see "i686-pae", "amd64", and "i586". Browsing the files directory on the download site ( http://sourceforge.net/projects/clonezilla/files/clonezilla_live_stable/2.3.1-18/ ) I do not see an i386 iso available for the stable release, but there is one under the alternative release ( http://sourceforge.net/projects/clonezilla/files/clonezilla_live_alternative/20141208-utopic/ ). Far as I can tell any of these ISOs should work, but because some are designed for single cores they will be potentially slower. AMD64 sounds like the best option for your computer because you have a 64bit cpu. i386, i586, and i686 are all 32bit. If you wish to go 32bit in case you ever need the iso for use on other computers then i386 would be the best because it provides the widest range of cpu compatibility.

#5 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,008 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2015 - 04:57 PM

Understood hollowface, Awful hard to find the md5sum? to check before burning?  I guess I can fogo this?

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#6 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,008 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2015 - 05:37 PM

Burned Clonezilla live to DVD-RW, don't know what file type to format target usb too, could not find that anywhere on site.  Maybe I will be prompted upon Imaging?

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#7 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,008 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2015 - 05:46 PM

Okay found the proper page, boy have I got a lot to learn?  http://clonezilla.org/

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#8 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 01 January 2015 - 06:16 PM

Awful hard to find the md5sum

Current stable ISO and ZIP ones are here: http://clonezilla.org/downloads/stable/checksums.php . Kind of irritating that they don't provide all of them in text files in their sourceforce downloads directory.

#9 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,008 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2015 - 06:20 PM

Thanks hollowface, I tried?

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#10 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,418 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2015 - 06:28 PM

don't know what file type to format target usb too

ext what ever.

Edited by NickAu, 01 January 2015 - 06:33 PM.

#11 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 01 January 2015 - 06:45 PM

Burned Clonezilla live to DVD-RW, don't know what file type to format target usb too, could not find that anywhere on site.  Maybe I will be prompted upon Imaging?

I assume you are refering to where you plan to save the OS backup image file made by Clonezilla? I'd say NTFS, EXT2, EXT3, or EXT4. Since it's a flash drive EXT2 is probably the best choice because it doesn't support journaling. Avoid FAT32, because FAT32 doesn't support files larger than 4GiB.

#12 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 01 January 2015 - 07:19 PM

Understood hollowface, Awful hard to find the md5sum? to check before burning?  I guess I can fogo this?

Personally I'm too lazy to ever bother with checksums.

To Check The Clonezilla ISO MD5SUM Using Linux Mint:

iBS9wwL.png

1. In terminal type "cd /home/YOURUSERNAMEGOESHERE/Downloads". You will need to adjust this path to that of where you saved the ISO file.
2. In terminal type "md5sum *.iso". This will calculate md5sums for all isos in that directory. Alternatively you can type "md5sum theexactfilename.iso". Replace "theexactfilename" with the filename. This will just calculate the md5sum of the specified file.
3. Compare the md5sum of the clonezilla ISO to that of the one listed on the clonezilla website ( http://clonezilla.org/downloads/stable/checksums.php ).

#13 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2015 - 10:18 PM

hi punk, when you're up again!

Maybe just tell us the full name of the .iso you downloaded. The reason I say this is because there are also Clonezilla iso's hashes here:

http://clonezilla.org/downloads/alternative/checksums.php

The clonezilla I downloaded on 6 November was called clonezilla-live-20140915-trusty-amd64.iso. It was for CD/DVD.

The difference lies between "stable" and "alternative",re stable refers to Debian-based Distros, and alternative to Ubuntu-based Distros. Mint is Ubuntu, hence I chose the one I did, and it works OK.

This from  http://clonezilla.org/downloads.php -

JUl3MQE.png

Note that where mine had "20140915-trusty", they now have "20141208-utopic".

pcpunk recently has been using GtkHash for his md5sum and SHAsum checking, you still doing so, punk?

For my example it looks as follows:

PqYzQx5.png

followed by the result (note tick)

pyAneCB.png

I have mine set up in Preferences to show just the three, but if you are anally retentive you could go extreme:

vHJ2hCq.png

Naahh, :hysterical:

Getting practice with the Terminal commands is always good, but I've timed both, and if you want to use md5 and SHA together, GUI is way faster.

:wizardball: Wiz

#14 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,008 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 AM

Posted 02 January 2015 - 02:13 PM

clonezilla-live-2.3.1-18-i686-pae.iso

The difference lies between "stable" and "alternative",re stable refers to Debian-based Distros, and alternative to Ubuntu-based Distros. Mint is Ubuntu, hence I chose the one I did, and it works OK.  O-boy, will the one I downloaded and burnt work?  I did not realize that Stable meant Debian?  Doesn't any of this get easier lol.  Thanks Wiz, please tell me if I have to burn again.  

I read some on this at that site, and looked at the table which shows the differences:    http://drbl.org/faq/fine-print.php?path=./2_System/57_why_ubuntu_based_clonezilla_live.faq#57_why_ubuntu_based_clonezilla_live.faq

The only thing I can see that I am questioning is:  "Included, e.g firmware."  is this just payed software?  I guess the best thing would be to just burn the Ubuntu one?

pcpunk recently has been using GtkHash for his md5sum and SHAsum checking, you still doing so, punk?  Yes.

Thanks to everyone getting me on track with this.  I have watched a few vids on this so I think I am prepared.

Edited by pcpunk, 02 January 2015 - 02:24 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#15 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 02 January 2015 - 04:46 PM

O-boy, will the one I downloaded and burnt work?

You do not need to match the distro Clonezilla is based off of to the one you are running, that has no effect
on Clonezilla's ability to function. You can install the non-live-cd version of Clonezilla on a wide
variety of distros. The reason why they release a live-cd version is that most people run Clonezilla from a live-cd
anyways, so it makes sense to provide it pre-installed on one for ease of use. They release an alternative version
based off of Ubuntu because Ubuntu includes some free-to-use proprietary software (drivers and secure-boot support)
that some people need because there is no open source support their hardware (eg: network-card, graphics-card,
UEFI with secure-boot enabled). The Clonezilla project is focused on being open-source which is why they use Debian
by default. The ISO you downloaded should work fine. Did you need to install any proprietary drivers to get Linux Mint
working on your machine?

Linux Mint is based off of Ubuntu, and Ubuntu is based off of Debian (the father of all .deb Linux distros).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users