Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Open GL updates for Dell DMS PC? Or buy a Graphics card

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Zach6656

Zach6656

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 PM

Posted 01 January 2015 - 04:12 PM

I have a dell dimension 4700 (refer to my poor mans PC build under builds and upgrades) and i dont want to drop the 25 bucks on buying a new graphics card... so does anybody know any OpenGL updates i can use... or should i drop the 25 bucks and get a graphics card... also the selling point for me would be DOES it crank out more processing power because it doesnt need to be partitioned for internal graphics?

always use DD-WRT for all your routers, if you cant get it for them, throw them away

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,705 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 AM

Posted 01 January 2015 - 04:15 PM

What operating system are you using?

Be Verbose
When you ask for support you should also include as much information about the problem as possible. Including all of the important details in your first post will greatly speed up the entire support process and allow our volunteers to better assist you. While you may think a particular error message isn't very helpful, it may be the key to resolving your issue. Some details we are looking for would include, but not be limited to:

•     Your distribution's name (Mint, Ubuntu, Debian, etc), version (17, 14.04, 7, etc), and architecture (32-bit, 64-bit).
  •     Provide relevant information about your physical hardware or installed software.
  •     Share relevant log files, screenshots, detailed error messages, or anything else that could be used to troubleshoot your issue.

[Community Standards] Properly Giving & Receiving GNU/Linux Support

#3 Zach6656

Zach6656
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 01 January 2015 - 04:32 PM

ubuntu 14.04 LTS (same as you i think)

always use DD-WRT for all your routers, if you cant get it for them, throw them away

#4 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,705 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:19 AM

Posted 01 January 2015 - 04:38 PM

or should i drop the 25 bucks and get a graphics card..

What type of card? Nvidia can be a pinta to get running.

After reading the specs here.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/561542/my-poor-mans-pc-build-its-magic/

I would not bother with the card, That system will run Ubuntu just fine.

Edited by NickAu, 01 January 2015 - 04:45 PM.

#5 Zach6656

Zach6656
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2015 - 12:26 AM

Yea it runs Ubuntu absolutely fine i just would like to use this PC as a media centr in the future and i would also like to be able to play 3D rendered steam games (Gmod, Tf2 etc.) and i get chunk lag on MC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users