Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Possible upgrade,,need some info first

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Madforit

Madforit

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 AM

Posted 01 January 2015 - 02:31 PM

I have been offered a Geforce GT 640 2gb gfx card and have been trying to find articles on the net to try and determine whether this card will work in my system.

Although my computer is a HP pavillion a6455 it seems that the mobo it is using is a completely standard ASUS Narra 3,,,I say this as I have read that sometimes HP don't always use the standard mobo as they someitme alter it for what they want.,

I am hoping this card will work even if there is some chance of a bottleneck somewhere along the line and I am also going to go to the max 8gb of memory too,,,I want to do this so that I have got a slightly better system than what it is now that will be a stop-gap machine until i can afford to build a better system.

I understand that the memory modules are PC2 6400 667 or 800 Mhz, But I have also seen a few times that the mobo can be quite fussy with the memory and doesn't like anything except "Crucial" Memory upgrades,,,could this be true ??,,or is it more likely that it is just someones preference.

Also,,WOuld it matter whether I use DDR2 or DDR3 or can this make a difference. ?

I appreciate any help that you can give me on this matter.

Thanks in advance

Steve

PS#

I have also noticed that there were a few different a6455's but it seems to me that mine is the gb version,,I did notice that the italian one has got different proc and mobo which seemed strange,,,I only mentiuon this so that you can get the right one to  look into to help me,..

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,420 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 PM

Posted 02 January 2015 - 12:56 AM

You shouldn't have a problem running the card at all. It isn't a massive card so fitting it in also shouldn't be a problem.

Yes, you must use the specific memory your system requires. DDR2 and DDR3 are entirely two different memory modules. The latter being the most recent.

If this is your system, then it looks like your memory is DDR2. It supports two different types, PC2-5300 and PC2-6400. I have heard about systems/motherboards being picky on what type of RAM they like, but I haven't ever encountered any boards not wanting to accept the RAM. I would think it would take any brand as long as it meets the requirements of the type of RAM.

Here is a list of DDR2 PC2-6400 (or DDR2 800) memory. I realize you are from the UK, so just take a gander at the list I linked (from Newegg) and you should be able to find the same memory at your equivalent parts dealer. If you are worried about memory and you looked online at people saying they could only get crucial to run, then by all means go ahead and stick with crucial. They are one of the better brands as it is anyway and if you prefer to be on the safe side than that is perfectly okay.

OS - Ubuntu 14.04/16.04 & Windows 10
Custom Desktop PC / Lenovo Y580 / Sager NP8258 / Dell XPS 13 (9350)

#3 Madforit

Madforit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 AM

Posted 02 January 2015 - 11:15 AM

Thanks,.,,,do you think the card will make a lot of difference over the card that i currently have ??? HD 5450 ???

#4 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,420 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 PM

Posted 02 January 2015 - 01:06 PM

Yeah it is probably a bit better (judging by the specs and guessing on what you have). Not sure if you will see a huge difference or not, but it does look to be a bit quicker. One thing you need to make sure about, which I failed to mention in my first post, is if your power supply will power the Geforce. This card here is probably similiar to the one you could be getting and it recommends a minimum of 350 Watt PSU. You should be fine, but if you want check out this PSU calculator to get a idea on how much power your system is going to take.

OS - Ubuntu 14.04/16.04 & Windows 10
Custom Desktop PC / Lenovo Y580 / Sager NP8258 / Dell XPS 13 (9350)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users