Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

cannot see other computers on network

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 wheelyjon

wheelyjon

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 AM

Posted 01 January 2015 - 01:03 PM

I have a home network with a Desktop and Laptop computer which has been working for years, both run windows 7.  Recently owing to multiple problems on the laptop, I put a new disk into it and completely re-installed the system.  Everything works fine except that I cannot see files on the desktop (john-pc) from the laptop (wendy-pc).  Both machines have the same workgroup set, and they are both set to a 'work' network.  If I type \\john-pc into a run window, then I can see all the files with no problem, but I cannot view them from windows explorer, only the local device is visible.  I have tried disabling the the firewall to no avail.

At one point I could see the public folder on Wendy-pc from John-pc, but now I cannot see it at all. No changes at all have been made to John-pc since the system used to work.

I have been through the settings many times and spent hours on what I normally regard as a quick job.  Please has anyone any suggestions.

Edited by hamluis, 02 January 2015 - 04:02 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Networking - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:11 AM

Posted 01 January 2015 - 01:49 PM

Has John-pc always been Work Network? Check and verify that Wendy and John pc's are same Work network or Home Network. I suggest changing both to using Home Network. In any case head to Control Panel\Network and Internet\HomeGroup from there you can create a new or join. If you create a new you get a new password, or you can view your password. Wendy-pc needs that password to join. Then public folders should show up. If not you can check the advanced sharing options and adjust public folder access, password access etc.

This may help..http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/why-can-t-i-join-a-homegroup

Edited by technonymous, 01 January 2015 - 01:55 PM.

#3 wheelyjon

wheelyjon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2015 - 09:42 AM

Has John-pc always been Work Network? Check and verify that Wendy and John pc's are same Work network or Home Network. I suggest changing both to using Home Network. In any case head to Control Panel\Network and Internet\HomeGroup from there you can create a new or join. If you create a new you get a new password, or you can view your password. Wendy-pc needs that password to join. Then public folders should show up. If not you can check the advanced sharing options and adjust public folder access, password access etc.

This may help..http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/why-can-t-i-join-a-homegroup

Thanks for your reply.  Yes I always use work, as occasionally I have XP or other systems that need to use the network.  I have done it for years and never had this sort of problem.  I don't understand why I can access it from a command prompt, yet not from Explorer.  As this is a completely new installation, I wasn't expecting problems.  Incidentally, a printer attached to John-pc also works across the network form Wendy-pc, it is just Explorer that seems to have problems, and accessing Wend-pc from John-pc

Edited by wheelyjon, 02 January 2015 - 09:44 AM.

#4 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,474 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2015 - 10:11 AM

Is the pc updated? When the computer was reinstalled everything got wiped out and there may be services that are not running now. In P2P network generally you only want one pc to be the master. Go to services.msc and look for Computer Browser enable it on the pc that's up most of the time. Have you gone into advanced settings and changed those? Wendy machine may have public folder sharing turned off. Network discovery may also be be turned off. At this location Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network and Sharing Center\Advanced sharing settings. You may have completely start over and tell each pc to leave the network workgroup and then create a new one with John-PC and have Wendy-pc join the new one. Also check for error event reports on Wendy machine.

Edited by technonymous, 02 January 2015 - 10:14 AM.

#5 wheelyjon

wheelyjon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2015 - 12:45 PM

Is the pc updated? When the computer was reinstalled everything got wiped out and there may be services that are not running now. In P2P network generally you only want one pc to be the master. Go to services.msc and look for Computer Browser enable it on the pc that's up most of the time. Have you gone into advanced settings and changed those? Wendy machine may have public folder sharing turned off. Network discovery may also be be turned off. At this location Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network and Sharing Center\Advanced sharing settings. You may have completely start over and tell each pc to leave the network workgroup and then create a new one with John-PC and have Wendy-pc join the new one. Also check for error event reports on Wendy machine.

I always use 'work', as I occasionally want to access the network with an XP or other device.  I have done it for years and have never had this sort of problem. The Browser service is enabled on John-pc and network discovery is turned on on both machines, as is public folder sharing. The only significant error which occurred yesterday on Wendy-pc is  from NetBT :-

The Name "TORNET     :1d" could not be registered on the interface with IP address 192.168.1.71. the computer with  the IP address 192.168.1.65 did not allow the name to be claimed by this computer.  I do not know what those addresses were yesterday, today 65 is my iphone and 71 is not allocated.

Finally the good news is that today it all works as it should.  I rebooted everything several times yesterday without success, did it today and everything is working.  If it still works tomorrow, then I guess it is ok. 

Thanks for your help, do you know the meaning of that error message?

#6 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,474 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2015 - 11:16 AM

You must of had two machines trying to use the same IP. Conflicts like this can happen with a router reset. I always put the critical devices on static including one "Master" computer on the network. This way if the router does lose power etc I can still hit the routers login web portal. I know the router will always default to 192.168.1.1 Yours may differ. Then I import the routers saved config file. Some devices with static IP will not show up in the routers table because it's just for the DHCP assigned IP's. I keep the IP's out of range of the DHCP servers IP's. Only the machines that was assigned dhcp IP's may have to be reset locally if that machine tried to pull an IP from the router before it was back online. Windows will assign an IP 169.x.x.x to the pc automatically if it cannot connect to the routers DHCP server. You then have to reset each machine locally once the router is back online, by typing in cmd ipconfig /reset and then ipconfig /renew. Below is an example network...

-Static IP's Wired or Wifi

Router's assigned IP 192.168.1.1

Server 192.168.1.2

Printer 192.168.1.3  (wifi)

VOIP 192.168.1.4

External HD 192.168.1.5

John-PC 192.168.1.6

-DHCP Wired or Wifi

192.168.1.100  (Wendy-PC)

192.168.1.101  (IPHONE)

192.168.1.102 (Tablet)

-DHCP Guest Wifi vlan 192.168.2.100

192.168.2.100 (Guest's wifi)

Note: Guest Wifi is isolated from 192.168.1.0 network, but it can access internet.

Edited by technonymous, 04 January 2015 - 11:20 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users