Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Limited User Account Creation

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 .Prodigy.

.Prodigy.

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 AM

Posted 21 June 2006 - 12:27 AM

I earlier tried to add a second user onto my system, a limited one as sort of a guest account, with a little more access and a password. I went in through the Users control panel, and added a new user as a Limited Account.That part worked fine, but when I go to log into the user account, the system just hangs. I'm able to move the mouse and Ctrl+Alt+Delete. When I do bring up the task manager, the only processes running are winlogon.exe, csrss.exe and SDMCP.exe (and of course the task manager).

After trying to run explorer.exe through the run dialog, I used the task manager to log out of the limited account, which worked perfectly fine. I then used my main account to create a third user, a second Admin account. I logged into that account and everything started up like it should. I went back into my main account, removed the second admin account and tried activating the Guest account. I tried to log into the guest account, but got the same problem as with the limited account.

Could there be something wrong with my system that doesn't allow certain administrative access to be restricted, such as the guest and limited account would require?Has anyone heard of this happening before, and (hopefully) know how to fix it without having to do a system restore. Even if you've never head of this before, some ideas would be useful to know what up.

P.S: I'm running Windows XP SP2, and the only things that should be running on startup is my firewall (ZoneAlarm) and my Anti-Virus (NOD32).

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 AM

Posted 22 June 2006 - 12:27 AM

Are you using the fast user switching mode or the logon mode?

In addition to the av ap and the firewall there are also Windows processes thta should appear in your startup menu. Did you disable any?

#3 .Prodigy.

.Prodigy.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2006 - 05:24 AM

thank for replying.

I am using fast user switching, and I haven't disabled any Windows Services. I use msconfig to control my startup. Right now in the Startup tab, I have these items checked:
NvCpl
nwiz
NvMcTray
zlclient (my firewall)
nod32kui (my av)
iTunesHelper
issch
and in the Services tab, with "Hide All Microsoft Services" checked
iPodService
NOD32 Kernel Service (my av)
NVIDIA Display Driver Service
Office Source Engine
TrueVector Internet Monitor (my firewall)

Edited by .Prodigy., 22 June 2006 - 10:24 AM.

Posted Image

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 AM

Posted 22 June 2006 - 08:40 AM

Is the default "Guest" account enabled or disabled in your computer?

#5 .Prodigy.

.Prodigy.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  

Posted 22 June 2006 - 10:22 AM

Right now, the Guest account is disabled. As i said in my post, I tried enabling it and had the same problems as the Limited Accounts had.

Posted Image

#6 .Prodigy.

.Prodigy.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2006 - 06:58 PM

This still isn't working, any ideas... anyone? :thumbsup:

Posted Image

#7 just me

just me

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2006 - 12:02 AM

You could try to add an Computer administrator account then change it to a Limited account and see if that works.

#8 .Prodigy.

.Prodigy.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 155 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2006 - 12:08 AM

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried that, and he creation of an additional Admin account works fine, but when I change it to a Limited account I get the same problem that I've been getting. Still haven't gotten anywhere in this... it's a very unusual problem.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users