Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Question about possibly giving a phone to a friend

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Without_A_Monitor

Without_A_Monitor

• Members
  • 335 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 PM

Posted 01 January 2015 - 03:08 AM

So, I am eligible to upgrade my phone based on my current plan. My carrier is Verizon. I am fine with the phone I have and was thinking about giving a phone to my friend. My friend has T-Mobile. Does anyone happen to know if there would be any problems if I were to get a new phone, still use my current phone and give the new one to my friend?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,720 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:12 PM

Posted 01 January 2015 - 02:52 PM

Before you give away your phone you'll need to get it unlocked so that it can be used on TMobile's network. With one caveat, not all unlocked phones work on TMobile's network.

Good read on all carriers and the process to get their phones unlocked: https://gigaom.com/2014/07/28/unlock-phone-att-verizon-tmobile-sprint/

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 Without_A_Monitor

Without_A_Monitor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 335 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2015 - 02:23 AM

Much obliged fort helpful and informative reply, animal. I suppose that I'll be calling that number and/or contacting Verizon to have the phone unlocked and find out whatever else needs to be done in order to make the phone usable for my friend.

Forgive me for my following noobish question...when I do happen to speak to Verizon employee(s) about this scenario, should I just ask how to unlock the phone in general (so that a different carrier can use it) and not explicitly describe that what I am doing is for a friend?

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,720 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2015 - 01:50 PM

You're quite welcome for the information.

I strongly suggest that you not offer any reason you want to unlock it. If they happen to ask, just state you want to keep your options open for a potential or future back up phone. What you do with a device you own is none of their business, is how I see the situation regarding legal unlocking.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

#5 Without_A_Monitor

Without_A_Monitor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 335 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2015 - 03:41 PM

Danke once again for the insightful response. I, too, share that opinion about privacy; however, I just didn't know if I had to give a (specific) explanation or anything like that when I speak to Verizon employee(s) about unlocking the phone. Your reiteration further clarifies how to approach the conversation. I appreciate it.

#6 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,720 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2015 - 05:18 PM

You're quite welcome. Best of luck with Verizon.

Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

#7 Without_A_Monitor

Without_A_Monitor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 335 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2015 - 04:39 AM

A many thanks, animal. If you do not mind and would be so kind as to tell me if you happen to know the answers or not, I have three more questions for you or someone, who is not a Verizon employee.

The first question is would my friend have to pay any fees/charges to use the phone, I-phone, on the different carrier, T-Mobile. My friend currently has an Android. Unfortunately, I am noob about the interrelated topics of phone carrier policies and so forth. So, I don't know what the situation would be if my friend were to have the I-Phone to use.

The second question is do I-Phones have the roaming GSM radio service? If not, is that something that needs to be enabled/unlocked/etc? From what I read on the article that you so helpfully linked, "most Verizon phones aren't locked; however, without roaming GSM radios service the phone will not be able to make calls/texts in the U.S."

The info on the webpage also states that the I-Phone does come unlocked. So, my third question is would I even need to call Verizon at all to have my friend start using it for T-Mobile.

Thank you very much again for helping me and your knowledge on this content.

Edited by Without_A_Monitor, 06 January 2015 - 04:43 AM.

#8 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,720 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2015 - 02:17 PM

Which model iphone? If it's an iphone 5, take a look here: https://gigaom.com/2012/09/24/why-the-verizon-iphone-5-is-a-globetrotters-best-friend/

That unlock policy extends to other U.S. networks as well so technically you could insert an AT&T or T-Mobile nano-SIM into a Verizon iPhone and access their networks (presumably you could do the same with a Sprint LTE SIM, but you wouldn’t get access to its voice or 3G networks). That means if you broke your contract with Verizon you could immediately activate it on a competing network.

Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

#9 Without_A_Monitor

Without_A_Monitor
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 335 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2015 - 04:53 PM

Forgive me for not wishing you a Happy New Year already. Much obliged once again for your continued insightful replies.

I think that I'd either upgrade to the iphone 5 or 6.

Just to clarify, I wouldn't be breaking my contract with Verizon, I'd just be purchasing the iphone under my Verizon plan and giving that phone to my friend, who has a different carrier. Even though that is a different scenario, is it still the same result of immediately being able to activate the phone on a different network?

Also, the quote that you posted from the article focuses on 3g networks. Do you happen to know if 4g networks would be accessible (with an iphone 5 or 6?)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users