Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

forgot my restrictions passcode, now I can't reset to factory default

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 SystemExternals

SystemExternals

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 PM

Posted 01 January 2015 - 02:39 AM

I am on my 1 year old ipad mini. Is there any way to retrieve my 4 digit restriction passcode? I want to reset my ipad to factory because i think it got infected by an adware virus. Yesterday my safari sometimes pops up ads on ad-free websites.

I tried the following:

1. I downloaded Iphone Backup instructor in windows. I opened the com.apple.springboard.plist file but it doesn't show any 4 digit passcode at all.

2. Reset through itunes. The problem is that my lenovo g40-70 always momentarily disconnects the plug of my usb to lightning connector. And I don't have any macbooks.

Edited by SystemExternals, 01 January 2015 - 02:41 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Felipe2237

Felipe2237

• Members
  • 353 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 AM

Posted 01 January 2015 - 11:40 PM

I was able to find this solution from another user on apple forums, hopefully it works for you as well. This is the solution to reset a device with a lost restriction password, which seems to be your end goal.

1. sign into icloud.com
2. once you are signed in click on "find my iphone" tab
3. click "all devices" on top of the page
4. click on the device you lost your passcode to.
5. once you do a couple of choices will come up "play sound" "lost mode" and "erase iphone"
    click on the erase iphone. and it will begin to whip out your iphone.
6. once i was done i connected it back into my itunes and restored from my last backup. i was then
able to get into my phone and reset my passcode. :-)

Found here.

Let us know if it works!

Unofficial iOS Genius

#3 SystemExternals

SystemExternals
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2015 - 07:59 AM

thanks , it worked. I was able to reset my ipad to factory default 2 times actually.

But the bad news is the ads are still randomly popping up on ad free websites like reddit and macrumors. It redirected me to qbitmedia where a pop up appeared. "Conratulations! ...." and i also always see this in the url textbox "data:text/html, script window.close() script"

Edited by SystemExternals, 02 January 2015 - 08:31 AM.

#4 Felipe2237

Felipe2237

• Members
  • 353 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2015 - 12:44 AM

Yikes! 

Do you experience these symptoms on any other devices on your network? Could you possibly try using the device outside of home? I'd like to entertain the possibility that your network is actually compromised, not the device. iOS devices are notoriously difficult to infect, as the system is so constricted by Apple. 

Kind Regards,

Felipe

Unofficial iOS Genius

#5 SystemExternals

SystemExternals
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2015 - 02:04 AM

Hi Felipe

The day after Yesterday i created a thread on apple support, https://discussions.apple.com/message/27396622#27396622.

Summary:
It all started when my Windows 8.1 lenovo g40-70 laptop got infected with adware (due to accidentally clicking a single ad) which i am currently fixing on this forum. I reset the laptop to factory default (fully clean the drive). But i still got redirects on the laptop.

I don't know if it's the lenovo g40-70 laptop or the wifi router that is infecting my ipad. Confidently I just connect my ipad to my laptop for the sole purpose of charging my ipad. And this is where the ipad problem began. It redirected me to websites like adcash.com and rdsrv.com on ad-free or with non obtrusive ad websites like reddit, bleepingcomputer, and macrumors.

"Do you experience these symptoms on any other devices on your network?"
here is what happened, my iphone was not initially connected to the network. It is connected on 3G mobile. And was initially not having this adware problem.

After connecting my iphone to the wifi network. I experienced new tab redirects to adcash.com on reddit. So , I think you are right. My router must have been compromised.

The router model is a WRT 120N, and i do not know how to reformat it. I just hired a cable guy to install it. It's a very old router , 7 years I think. I just lost the recovery disk on this router.

Also, I am connected to the wifi network but entering 192.168.1.1 into the URL bar gives me 404, webpage not available. I'm not sure yet if the router is the problem. I have yet to test it on my family's ios devices which happen to be connected to this wifi network.

Right now I just have a fresh factory reset on my ipad. But instead, of using the wifi router to do the resetting, i only used my iphone's personal hotspot to be the source of my ipad's internet. Right now i haven't yet experienced any adware on reddit, but i will let you know if this happens again.

PS. where do i post to get my router troubleshooted?

Regards

Edit: My Sister's Macbook Pro Retina Display, also redirected to rdsrv.com on websites like bleepingcomputer and macrumors. Now I'm definitely convinced that this is a router problem.

My ipad mini , which have not been connected to my wifi router, hasn't experienced this adware problem since then

Edited by SystemExternals, 04 January 2015 - 02:44 AM.

#6 Felipe2237

Felipe2237

• Members
  • 353 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2015 - 01:53 PM

From what we have seen so far, it seems pretty conclusive that it is indeed your network that has been compromised. I'd like to hope this is as simple as changing the DNS on your router, instructions for the WRT120N can be found here. I recommend you change your DNS settings to either Google's DNS or OpenDNS, whichever your preference.

However, since you mentioned you did not set it up and it occurred 7 years ago, I expect that you may not have the login credentials for the router's admin page. Hopefully the cable guy did not change the default username and password, which is as follows:

Username: admin

Password: admin

You also mentioned that you can no longer access the admin page, in that case I recommend hard restarting the router by manually unplugging and replugging it.

Hopefully this solves the problem, as this is nearly beyond my depth!

Unofficial iOS Genius

#7 SystemExternals

SystemExternals
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 05 January 2015 - 12:33 AM

I was able to download the setup disk of my wifi router online, and the adware on my ipad is gone.
Also on my windows 8.1 pc.

Sorry, my router is actually linksys E1200 , not wrt120N

Actually my wifi password and wifi name is still the same because many people are using it.

How can i prevent my router from getting compromised again?

Edited by SystemExternals, 05 January 2015 - 02:05 AM.

#8 Felipe2237

Felipe2237

• Members
  • 353 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2015 - 12:15 AM

I recommend changing the default password on the administration panel on your router. The malware that was able to compromise your router is surprisingly sophisticated - it was able to infect your computer, but targeted instead your router. It was only able to gain access because it guessed, it likely had some very short list of default usernames passwords it attempted to use. If you simply change the default password, you will be nearly immune from another intrusion.

If you are not being helped already, I highly recommend posting in the Am I Infected? section, as the malware would have had to begin by compromising your PC. Malware likely still exists on your PC.

Glad to know you were able to fix the router problem!

Unofficial iOS Genius

#9 TheMinionBeast

TheMinionBeast

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:11 PM

Posted 30 June 2016 - 03:08 AM

And what to do when you're locked iCloud on restriction how to that then?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users