Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Best 0 bandwidth antivirus/firewall

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 garbosh52

garbosh52

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 AM

Posted 01 January 2015 - 01:34 AM

Since I have begun to notice the latest trend of cloud based antivirus scanners and suites, I have noticed it is becoming increasingly difficult to get away from the "cloud".  I am not looking for preaching about how great the cloud is or anything like that.  I am simply looking for an AV/Firewall combo that DOESN'T need the internet except for update purposes.  I have a limited bandwidth package and pay per MB spent. (Living WAY out in the boonies sucks.) 

I tend to be one who downloads alot of things from the internet, and don't need an AV riding up my charges on top of everything else.  I am only asking for this because after recently trying out the new AVAST!, it managed to use 187mb in one day on its own....Now mind you, I understand that ALL internet traffic was filtered through Avast!  I also know that I had 0 programs running in the background  that should have been using the internet.  I have bandwidth montiors installed on my PC to track everything that goes in and out.  Windows update was turned OFF during this time.  (As I manaully update on a weekly basis to limit its badnwidth usage.) And had rules setup on windows firewall to stop all other traffic in or out.

I understand my limitation of connectivity to the net means infection is unlikely.  I also know that if I do happen to download a program and get one, my isolation also makes cleaning much more difficult.  So I would like have a good backup that will NOT use cloud based ANYTHING to protect me.  Plus I don't need a cloud to keep my identity safe.  Not putting myself out there, does a better job of that anyway.

So in leiu I am simply looking for an answer, and not an explination. (Sorry for the rant but others have questioned my motives, why is cloud bad, tried to explain all of this, I don't care for that, I simply want a service that does as I require, (PAID preferably) without killing my pocketbook outside of initial expense due to my limited bandwidth package.)

Hopefully someone is willing to give me a straightforward brand based answer to this question, without any side talk!  Thanks in advance, and hope you all have a happy new year.

Thanks much!

Edit: Topic moved from Windows 7 to the more appropriate forum.~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Ezzah

Ezzah

• Members
  • 438 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 PM

Posted 01 January 2015 - 04:51 AM

It is possible that AVAST is actually tunnelling data through it to scan for malicious URLs, etc, which is causing your bandwidth program to think that the cause is Avast.

There isn't much documentation to prove any information of bandwidth usage, but I am aware that Kaspersky is quite a good AV to try out. It has its own built-in bandwidth manager, that separates from other managers, because it's aware of the data it tunnels, and is thusly more accurate. You can turn off URL-scanning/safe-search (pretty useless most of the time), which will stop it calling back and forth with their servers.

Also, make sure to untick participating with their "anonymous" reports to protect your privacy and save bandwidth, if that's what you're all about.

mYIGVc5.png

#3 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 AM

Posted 01 January 2015 - 04:56 AM

Most of the bandwidth that AVs consume is from their updates. In our Internet era, daily updates is necessary to keep your machine safe from infections.

If you need an AV solution, I recommend ESET NOD32, Kaspersky Anti-Virus or Emsisoft Anti-Malware. Turn off any cloud-based features if you want to conserve bandwidth.

For a firewall, the Windows 7 Firewall is fairly robust and suitable for standard users.

So I would like have a good backup that will NOT use cloud based ANYTHING to protect me. Plus I don't need a cloud to keep my identity safe. Not putting myself out there, does a better job of that anyway.

Your best bet is to use an external backup device that is only connected at the time of backup.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,588 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 AM

Posted 01 January 2015 - 08:47 AM

I am in a similar situation and always have to be careful about exceeding my usage limits since I live in a rural area. I use Windows built-in Firewall with ESET NOD32. Most anti-virus and anti-malware programs update several times a day...with three computers on my account that can be a lot of usage just by those products alone. With ESET I can configure when and how often to update. I can do the same with Emsisoft Anti-Malware and Malwarebytes. Windows Firewall, unlike third-party firewalls does not require constant updating.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users