Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is it possible to change my laptop processor?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Pat(rick)

Pat(rick)

• Members
  • 467 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 PM

Posted 31 December 2014 - 07:56 PM

Hello,

I am just curious about processor.

Is it possible to change my laptop processor without changing the motherboard?

If yes, how can I know which processor I can use to replace the old one? (Any softwares to test?)

Personnally, I think buying a new laptop just because I want to change the processor is just an expensive solution...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 frosty134

frosty134

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 PM

Posted 01 January 2015 - 12:36 PM

Hi,

My experience has been with a Dell laptop using a Quad core AMD cpu. I reviewed the CPU options on the AMD website and could only find one that in my opinion MAY work. In a discussion with a Dell support, they stated emphatically that it could not be down. I was persistent and visited a local Dell / laptop techie and asked him the same question. The CPU I had in mind was the correct socket for the motherboard, however, it required 10 watts more and he felt that the other circuits on the board would not handle that increase, so I never went any further with it.

That was my experience with a AMD A-8/3520m APU @1.6ghz

#3 Pat(rick)

Pat(rick)
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 467 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2015 - 03:57 AM

Is there a good processor out there that can replace my Intel Celeron N2820??

I found the processor somehow bad in term of performance... :/

#4 frosty134

frosty134

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:52 PM

Posted 03 January 2015 - 08:57 AM

Is there a good processor out there that can replace my Intel Celeron N2820??

I found the processor somehow bad in term of performance... :/

I don't care for the Celeron CPU. I can't suggest if a swap of the Celeron is possible. It' will depend on the make of your motherboard, and I believe that CPU's in laptops are a little more difficult to replace, harder to get at? I would suggest you find a tech in your area that is familiar with laptops, and perhaps familiar with the brand of your laptop, and certified to make those repairs. I see people selling laptop processors on Ebay. In the end, you may find something, but be aware that Celerons were probably used to keep cost of the laptop down. You may end up selling the laptop and getting a newer version of a laptop. But remember this. In my opinion you can't get a laptop to run as quickly as a full size computer, " in my opinion". If you need it to be mobile, then laptops are great, but there are choices in Small Form Factor SFF or Ultra SFF desktops that are more responsive than laptops.

#5 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,129 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2015 - 03:31 PM

Two possible options would be to upgrade the ram, that perks up most systems.  The other is to replace the HD with an SSD, I recently did that to my Toshiba LT, the boost was pretty amazing.  Ram will help a bit the SSD will really surprise you.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#6 Pat(rick)

Pat(rick)
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 467 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2015 - 09:14 PM

I see now. Thank you all for the answers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users