Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ran Dell Diagnostic Tool

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Jesse Bassett

Jesse Bassett

• Members
  • 418 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 PM

Posted 20 June 2006 - 11:16 PM

Hi,
I ran the Windows XP diagnostics tool and got an error message saying there is no diagnostic utility found...

what does this mean ?
Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 l McAfee Total Protection l Super AntiSpyware Free Edition l AdAware SE Personal l Spyware Blaster l Spyware Guard l Safe Eyes 2007

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 nosnhoj#3

nosnhoj#3

• Members
  • 245 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 PM

Posted 21 June 2006 - 04:42 AM

Hello,

If it is one thing that I have noticed from working on Dell computers, it is that most of them use the tools provided by Dell a little differently from model to model. Especially if your PC is a few years old. You may need to insert one of the disks that came with your PC, if you have one that is a couple of years old. The newer Dell's don't come with any of the disks unless you beg them, and pay $10.

Most of the newer Dell's that have the diagnostics onboard, are generally accessed like this.

1. Turn on (or restart) your computer.

2. When the DELL™ logo appears, press F12 immediately.

3. When the boot device list appears, highlight Boot to Utility Partition and press Enter.

4. When the Dell Diagnostics Main Menu appears, select the test you want to run.

Hope this helps,

nos :thumbsup:
When I'm right, I'm right....
And when I'm wrong, I could have been right....
So I'm still right, cause I could have been wrong.

#3 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2006 - 08:28 AM

Hi Jesse Bassett.
If this is for your Inspiron 6000, after pressing F12 you will see "Diagnostics" in the boot menu.
Select it and hit your enter key. It'll run through a brief couple of tests then boot to the diagnostics partition.
You'll have a few choices. Extended will take a while but it's the most complete.
Dell also offers a GUI version for all later notebooks as well as a seperate download.
Yours is available here under Diagnostics Utilities. I prefer to use the first method myself though.

#4 Jesse Bassett

Jesse Bassett
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 418 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2006 - 11:33 PM

I don't have Windows XP on the dell. I have Linux.... so what can I do?
Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 l McAfee Total Protection l Super AntiSpyware Free Edition l AdAware SE Personal l Spyware Blaster l Spyware Guard l Safe Eyes 2007

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2006 - 11:42 PM

You can reload linux.
Whatever op system came on the Dell from the factory, it wasn't linux so none of the Dell utilities would work.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users